Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #61
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,352
Great point lukas, never thought to relace the wheel. I guess I'll need to make that decision soon as that will affect the shock mount position.

I need to get a chain on that sprocket to see how close I can get to the engine case. I wonder how tolerant those wheels are to being moved over. Right now it's about 1/2" maybe a little more. Can you pull a rim over that far?

With the cbr I only offset the sprocket 0.090" the rest I made up with machining down the cs sprocket. If it's not too much out of alignment I could just run it and have the chain out of alignment and see what happens.

Thinking out loud I can make the upper shock mount a half inch too wide so I have some play room and then make up spacers to locate it once I decide what to do

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #62
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,446
Sailah - yes, definitely make the chain line up first, then center the wheel. Yes, you can move the rim 1/2", but you might need different spokes.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #63
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Sailah - yes, definitely make the chain line up first, then center the wheel. Yes, you can move the rim 1/2", but you might need different spokes.
Al you agree with lukas to take up the alignment by moving just the swingarm and relacing the wheel back to center?

Makes sense and simplifies on the custom work. Spoke kits shouldn't be too bad

Nessmuk
Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #64
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I called buchanons and spoke to their spoke guy. He said the most they would true offset is 1/2". Total cost is about $250.

Or I can buy another 950 swingarm which uses the stock ninja swingarm bolt and is much wider so I probably won't have alignment issue. Plus cush drive. Stronger but much more expensive

I already have a 950 setup I can test from the fz1...

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 08:16 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #65
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Got some more work done, lots of looking and staring and thinkin' though

Took the direction from Lukas and moved the swingarm all the way to the left. The chain would now line up perfectly. Actually it's a little too much. I measured the distance moved with a telescope gauge and it's just over 0.50" as I thought. That's the limit Buchanons said they would build an offset into my wheel.

So that looks about the best solution I have found. I get to use non machined sprockets and the regular sprocket will bolt as normal to the KTM wheel.

Moving the swingarm also had some other effects, one good and one problem. It essentially made the shock mount almost on center as the shock mount on a stock KTM is to the right. This allowed the top shock mount to fit inside the right subframe rail. Barely. I'll still need to clearance it depending on where I end up with shock placement. Most of this will also depend on the numbers I get for rake and I won't get that until I finish the front end and drop the bike down.

the problem I found, and it would have happened anyways, is that the top of the shock and the fuel pump are both occupying the same space. I would like to keep the stock tank but it's not going to happen with that fuel pump.

My solution I am planning to try is one I learned from my engineer on superyacht days. If I plate off the tank where the pump is and tap a barb, I can then build a "day tank", maybe 1/2 gal. A simple cylindrical shape mounted to the left of the shock and then mount the fuel pump to that. Should work fine, get a little more capacity, and clear the tank from the shock. Hopefully

Nessmuk
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #66
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,446
Yep, that's also called a surge tank.

There are two alternate solutions: build a swingarm from scratch, modify the fuel tank floor and move the fuel pump elsewhere in the tank.

a
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #67
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I was about to give woodys my credit card for the offset wheel and zach asked if I have the clearance to move the tire over that far. I don't think I do because my sumo wheel was rubbing with a 160.

Back to thinking

Nessmuk
Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #68
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
can you flip the shock,having the reservior at the swingarm?
yokesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #69
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Splice two dirt swingers together to make a wider one? Or just slice/widen the one you have?

Cool build btw.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #70
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
can you flip the shock,having the reservior at the swingarm?
No the ends of the shock are different

Nessmuk
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #71
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Splice two dirt swingers together to make a wider one? Or just slice/widen the one you have?

Cool build btw.
Yeah thats asking quite a bit of my welding abilities to trust that

I think I'm going to go with my original plan of turning down the cs sprocket along with a small spacer for the rear sprocket and any other alignment I'll leave to the chain

Nessmuk
Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #72
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Also might be worth looking into a linkage rear end like a yz450 a that mounts the shock lower and vertical instead of the angle required by the ktm

Nessmuk
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #73
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
Can you get hold of a 990/950 swing arm?
I'm working on a replacement shock to suit that swing arm and if it works i'll let you know how I did it.
Should be a way cheaper than a 990/950 shock and work just as well if not better.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #74
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Also might be worth looking into a linkage rear end like a yz450 a that mounts the shock lower and vertical instead of the angle required by the ktm
Does the husaberg PDS have the rez located differently?

I think I spaced my sprocket 17mm. KTMKLX spaced his out too and has ridden his pretty extensively without trouble. I guess we are both running cush hubs, though. This is not to try to talk you out of a better solution. You could whip up a billet adapter that utilizes short bolts pretty easily, i'd bet.
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #75
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Can you get hold of a 990/950 swing arm?
I'm working on a replacement shock to suit that swing arm and if it works i'll let you know how I did it.
Should be a way cheaper than a 990/950 shock and work just as well if not better.
Yep I have a 950 swingarm and shock on my FZ1. The only issue I have with that is cost. I paid dearly for that entire setup. I think between the wheel, brake, shock and swinger you are easily over $1000. Plus it's much heavier and I want the narrower rear rim that the dirt bikes have

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Does the husaberg PDS have the rez located differently?

I think I spaced my sprocket 17mm. KTMKLX spaced his out too and has ridden his pretty extensively without trouble. I guess we are both running cush hubs, though. This is not to try to talk you out of a better solution. You could whip up a billet adapter that utilizes short bolts pretty easily, i'd bet.
I don't know about the Bergs but I have about 7 buddies with them locally I could measure. I'm sorta thinking they are the same, but maybe not.

I don't know if I have that much real estate to space the rear sprocket or I'll be into the swingarm with the teeth.

I'm also thinking that I would love to put together a reasonable builders kit to duplicate what I am doing with my bike if someone wants to do the same. If I start getting crazy with one off stuff, it'll be too expensive for someone to redo. If I can keep the build to simple parts that I would put together in a kit, the rest of the suspension parts could be purchased on ebay etc.

I'm going to buzz off the CS sprocket and find a 520 chain and see how close I can get the chain to the case. That would be the easiest and cheapest method to getting this alignment issue solved. It would allow the swingarm to remain centered, wheel centered. I would have to redo the subframe spar but that's easy. I don't think I'd be too worried about the bolts, although Lukas does speak from experience. I could always source some turbo bolts from McMaster that are much stronger than stock.

I did measure the tire to swingarm distance and I have just about an inch

What is more concerning is the spoke to caliper clearance is pretty close as it is and shifting the rim over is going to make that even closer

Here's the setup on the CBR and this is the exact wheel and tire I will be running and I have the same model swingarm and brake ready to go

Nessmuk