User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #61
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Super Tenere All Day

I have had four our five Bmw and a few buells, I have no ex. with moto g. but It is in there with the bmw but with less dealer support. I got rid of my second F 800GS because every time I needed a part I had to drive an hour plus to get it and it was high priced. I like to do my ownservice and the exotics were a pain i the ass compared to the yamaha. For me right now with the bikes in the market the yamaha is the only choice if you want a reliable, fast, good on/off road ability, good two up, good gass milage (avg 45mpg), easy service your self or cheap at your yamaha dealer and support in in comunity in the UsA. Add tonthat the fact that you can save a minimum of 3K bucks over the other two, it is a no brainer. Buy the Yamaha. If you have any other questions i would be happy to anwser them and also check on cycle trader for good deals on the bike. I have seen $11,800 on them.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #62
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I have had four our five Bmw and a few buells, I have no ex. with moto g. but It is in there with the bmw but with less dealer support. I got rid of my second F 800GS because every time I needed a part I had to drive an hour plus to get it and it was high priced. I like to do my ownservice and the exotics were a pain i the ass compared to the yamaha. For me right now with the bikes in the market the yamaha is the only choice if you want a reliable, fast, good on/off road ability, good two up, good gass milage (avg 45mpg), easy service your self or cheap at your yamaha dealer and support in in comunity in the UsA. Add tonthat the fact that you can save a minimum of 3K bucks over the other two, it is a no brainer. Buy the Yamaha. If you have any other questions i would be happy to anwser them and also check on cycle trader for good deals on the bike. I have seen $11,800 on them.
I will say that if the Tenere is anything like my FJR, reliability should be a given. But, I'm in the exact opposite position as far as dealerships go being that Rider's Hill {local Guzzi dealership} is my home away from home and I'm not all that keen on the local Yammy dealer if and when the Tenere needs the valves checked/adjusted. Also, the Guzzi has screw type adjusters and they are stupid proof simple to do. So, dealership availability only worries me if I'm off somewere and the bike is known to be unreliable. I have not heard of any reliability issues with modern Guzzis in general. That would be an issue if I were buying a KTM {although their rep has improved alot with the 990s} or with a BMW 1200GS. I will say that I honestly think the Tenere would be the best reliability wise though.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #63
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I just completed a valve lash service on my NTX. The entire process consumes maybe an hour and a half and can be done in a parking lot with simple tools. I just posted a picture thread.

People considering bikes do not always look down the road at issues such as service difficulty and expense but I think doing so is a good idea.

Aside from all the other attractions of the Guzzi, it is very, very simple to maintain. I'd hate to have to tackle a valve service for a shim-and-bucket, straight 4 or triple. Not even gonna think about a desmo.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #64
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I will say that if the Tenere is anything like my FJR, reliability should be a given. But, I'm in the exact opposite position as far as dealerships go being that Rider's Hill {local Guzzi dealership} is my home away from home and I'm not all that keen on the local Yammy dealer if and when the Tenere needs the valves checked/adjusted. Also, the Guzzi has screw type adjusters and they are stupid proof simple to do. So, dealership availability only worries me if I'm off somewere and the bike is known to be unreliable. I have not heard of any reliability issues with modern Guzzis in general. That would be an issue if I were buying a KTM {although their rep has improved alot with the 990s} or with a BMW 1200GS. I will say that I honestly think the Tenere would be the best reliability wise though.
The valve adj. on the tenere is every 26600 miles.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #65
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Shim and bucket valve adjustments are easy, needing only a bit more time. I like scheduling anything more than oil changes or tire changes for winter months because I'm not being rushed to get it back together for the annual vacation ride and I'm not frustrated by parts not in stock because I've got 3 months or more to get stuff delivered. As for Yamahas specifically and shim/bucket Nippon products in general, the first valve check very often does not require an adjustment. And here is the drawback of their products: so little goes wrong and so little adjustments are needed one tends to get rusty in the skills department. So the winter months are even more appreciated for the extra time to double check the work and confirm no tools are left inside the patient.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #66
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
I'm looking at replacing my beloved FJR and those are the three that have my complete attention. Was just wondering if there are folks here that have had the opportunity to ride each of the above and might want to lend their opinions.

Like I said, I actually love the FJR but it just doesn't fit my needs anymore. My trips almost always end up with at least some dirt road type riding. Heck, the FJR prolly has more dirt road mileage than most GSs and DLs but it's terrible at it. While I know that each of the bikes I mention aren't dirt bikes,,,,, any one of them would be worlds better than the FJR off tarmac. Two up comfort is important as the FJR is my two up bike of choice.
I loved my FJR and I when I bought it 6 years ago I did not think I would ever sell it. But, just like you, it no longer fit my desire to find some non-paved roads. There are a lot of current S10 owners that previously owned FJR's. I don't recalling seeing anyone that regretted that decision. The suspension on the S10 is vastly superior but the FJR did have better protection from the weather and a very sweet engine.

Unless one of the other bikes blows you away don't be afraid to pick up an S10. It may not be the Super Model we all lust after but it is a dynamite girl next door that you could be happy with for a very long time.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #67
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
The valve adj. on the tenere is every 26600 miles.

Yea, figured it would roughly mirror my FJR's valve inspection intervals. And yea,,, that certainly beats the Stelvio for sure especially considering my FJR has only had one valve adjustment in 80K miles and that was due to new valve guides courtesy Ma Yamaha.

But considering how easy the Stelvio's valves are to get to, it might be a pleasure to do them myself. Nahhhh,,,,, I would rather not touch em and apparently you can do that on Yamaha's dispite their apparantly very conservative valve adjustment checks.

Still though,,,, I do like the Guzzi's simplicity.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #68
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Shim and bucket valve adjustments are easy, needing only a bit more time. I like scheduling anything more than oil changes or tire changes for winter months because I'm not being rushed to get it back together for the annual vacation ride and I'm not frustrated by parts not in stock because I've got 3 months or more to get stuff delivered. As for Yamahas specifically and shim/bucket Nippon products in general, the first valve check very often does not require an adjustment. And here is the drawback of their products: so little goes wrong and so little adjustments are needed one tends to get rusty in the skills department. So the winter months are even more appreciated for the extra time to double check the work and confirm no tools are left inside the patient.
I sorta see what you are saying and I'm not trying to be contrary but man,,,,, I just don't see would could be easier than a Guzzi and I can't see a Tenere only needing a "bit more time".

But, like money, power and speed,,,,,,,,,,,,, I suppose time is relative too.

I do agree on the Yammy nonmaintenance intervals.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #69
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
I loved my FJR and I when I bought it 6 years ago I did not think I would ever sell it. But, just like you, it no longer fit my desire to find some non-paved roads. There are a lot of current S10 owners that previously owned FJR's. I don't recalling seeing anyone that regretted that decision. The suspension on the S10 is vastly superior but the FJR did have better protection from the weather and a very sweet engine.

Unless one of the other bikes blows you away don't be afraid to pick up an S10. It may not be the Super Model we all lust after but it is a dynamite girl next door that you could be happy with for a very long time.

I think I have pretty much scratched the Triumph off the list. Not dirty as the other two and the least range. Only thing going for it in my eyes are the cruise. Maybe the cruise thingie will knock some sense in Ma Yamaha and they will offer it. Sorta doubt it as I can almost be sure Guzzi will not have it anytime soon but hey,,,,,aftermarket cruise control can be had for a couple hundred bucks and a few hours of work and it's reliable as all get out, least the one on my DL has been.

Now, if Triumph decides to hit a home run and make a more adventury version with a larger tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Blue Skies Coming
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #70
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
I'm looking at replacing my beloved FJR and those are the three that have my complete attention. Was just wondering if there are folks here that have had the opportunity to ride each of the above and might want to lend their opinions.

Like I said, I actually love the FJR but it just doesn't fit my needs anymore. My trips almost always end up with at least some dirt road type riding. Heck, the FJR prolly has more dirt road mileage than most GSs and DLs but it's terrible at it. While I know that each of the bikes I mention aren't dirt bikes,,,,, any one of them would be worlds better than the FJR off tarmac. Two up comfort is important as the FJR is my two up bike of choice.

Each bike has plenty going for it and of course, a few things that many might not like.

I like many aspects of the Explorer {especially the cruise and the power} but I dislike the fuel range {and please don't tell me it doesn't matter because it does to me, tired of carry fuel}. Dealer network while not as good as the UJMs, is better than the Guzzi I think. Reliability? Once again, I don't think it's a UJM but I haven't heard of bad issues with modern Triumph either. Don't like the cast wheels but not a deal breaker. How is the tranny gearing on this bike? Can you lug it along at 2-3mph and still cruise comfy at freeway speeds? Don't like the TC and ABS not being an option.

I like the fact that the Tenere is a Yamaha as I have had very good luck with bikes from the Japanese Big Four and Yamaha in particular {the FJR has nearly 80K on it now}. I like the fact that dealers are everywhere. I like the fact that it seems that Yammy is having a hard time selling them and the prices reflect that. I can get a brand new one out the door for around 15K$ so it's probably the least expensive to buy and possibly the least expensive to own. I have heard that the Tenere has a fairly wide ratio tranny and will idle at walking speeds which is important for rough, unmaintained roads yet still has a tall enough top gear that it'll easily cruise at highway speeds. Matter of fact, close ratio tranny gearing is a pet peeve of mine on these adv and dual sport type bikes. This especially important since the final gearing is so hard to change with a shaft drive bike. Speaking of shafties,,,, I love the fact that Yamaha isn't a slave to stylish single sided swing arms. They are using a shaftdrive that has proven itself reliable since what,,, the early 80s or so! Fuel range isn't as much as I want but hey, better than the Explorer. Only drawbacks I see, weight is high but even at that, many say the weight is hidden well with a low Cg. I wouldn't know because Yamaha dealers don't seem to allow test rides for the most part. Let's see,,,,,, you want me to hand over 15K$ or so without a test ride? Nope, ain't gonna happen and Yamaha really needs to address this issue in my opinion. Don't like the fact that I don't think you can turn off the ABS.

Now to the Guzzi NTX. I love the fuel range and how Guzzi incorporated such a huge tank on the bike while keeping it fairly narrow, compact and low and behold, it didn't result in the bike being terribly top heavy{so much for the Explorer's "little tank" apologists ehh?}. I like the air cooled simplicity and the easily adjustable valves. I hate the fact that you have to buy it loaded up with panniers and aux. lighting. I've looked at the panniers and I think they look easily damaged in a tip over and would prefer to have pelicans so I would end selling the stockers and buying aftermarket anyway. Despite that, the price isn't bad. Not as cheap as the Tenere but still not bad.

So,,, any thoughts, opinions or observation especially from those that have rode all three?
The 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio is a weapon Off Road and I have pushed mine to the limits, single tracks and all
http://eagledream.wix.com/stelvio-owners-tassie

Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #71
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Yamaha and other MFGs should sell an 'extended range' tank as a $800 acc. They would sell the crap out of them to just about every owner. It would keep the stats down for the mag reviews and get the range people want while pulling more cash from their pockets. Take HD's lead and offer up some bolt on goodies.
http://www.rideonadv.com/Ride_On_Adv/BIG_TANK.html

A bit more than $800. He also makes a (almost) bullet proof skid plate.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #72
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtisGood View Post
The 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio is a weapon Off Road and I have pushed mine to the limits, single tracks and all

Glad to see someone out there putting the big girl through her paces.

2 questions:
- Have you had any issues with nuts/bolts coming loose offroad? Some folks on the Stelvio thread have been complaining that their bikes are rattling apart, and I'd like to figure out if this is just their lack of maintenance or something unique to the NTX.
- How do you like the MRA X-creen (I assume that's what's bolted to the top of your windscreen)? I'm thinking of doing something similar for added protection from the elements on longer rides in the lovely (aka sh*t) weather we're having.

Thanks!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #73
espi
scheming adventurer

Oddometer: 518
I'm also curious too what Sock Monkey is asking...
Any reliability issues?

espi is offline   Reply With Quote