Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
128K Miles - Too Much?

Oooo - GS n00b here - be gentle with this virgin, por favor!

But... NOT a newbie to bikes and riding. Lots of dirt bikes when I was a youngster and when my kids were young. Then there were some road bikes until about 1991. An injury at work caused me to have to stop riding for 20 years. Last year I bought another road bike. Now, that's not where I want to go and a GS fits the needs of what and where I want to ride.

So... at a local dealer - who shall remain nameless for the purpose of this report - has a 2001 1150 GS with ~128,000 miles. The out-the-door price is nicely under my max budget of $8k.

This bike is a trade-in on a newer GS. But it appears that this one has never taken a dirt nap. There are zero scars on the crash bars. Zero scars on the heads or head protectors. No - none - zero - scars on the paint - anywhere that I could see. No marks or scars on any of the usual places that one would expect on a bike that had EVER been offroad.

Plenty of farkle - LED lights, pegs, covers and other 'stuff'. But not really done up for offroad. It's obvious that this one has been a commuter or tourer on the pavement.

Apparently there's a thick sheaf of maintenance records that I'll peruse before completing the sale. I don't really expect any issues therein.

Finally, I'm currently riding a new road bike - It is not a garage queen and I do ride in the rain when 'stuff happens' and the heavens open when I'm far from home. In other words my current bike has dust and road dirt in the crooks and crannies that every bike has.

This 2001 1150 GS has none. The salesman took the seat off and there is nothing hiding - no dirt, no dust, no road grime. It's as if the bike had been taken to detail shop.

The original tool kit is there - with the original foam to keep the tools from rattling! No dust. No dirt. No grime.

The pictures speak for themselves.

So the question is this - are 128K miles too many? What's your opinion if you please.

Thanks!

Retired-N-Roamin screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 05:38 PM
Retired-N-Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote