Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #856
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
My understanding was that they were going to run with a 4 man team, but that was before Philipe crashed - much I suspect will now depend on the extent of any injuries, beyond the obvious concussion.

As Philipe was riding for Honda South America and if not fit, then I would suspect a replacement from that continent
4 man team and not 5? who was being dropped? Also, Chavo Salvatierra, already having ridden for Team Honda Europe would be a good choice fitting the criteria.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #857
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
4 man team and not 5? who was being dropped? Also, Chavo Salvatierra, already having ridden for Team Honda Europe would be a good choice fitting the criteria.
They told Sam they would not replace him so were running with a four man team but now if Felipe is out also who knows, no-one was dropped.
mxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #858
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmum View Post
Unfortunately not good, definitely out of Dakar, he is devastated mentally that all that hard work in training and preparation has gone to waste. Operated on in California yesterday, broken scaphoid to be wired and approx 12 weeks recovery through no fault of his own I am absolutey gutted for him. Praying for Philipe Zanol also and feel for both him and his family. You have to ask, why on earth did Honda not organise for test riders this close to the Dakar?
Mxmum, really sorry to hear this. Please pass on best wishes to Sam for a full and speedy recovery.

Thoughts go out to Felipe as well for a swift recovery.

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #859
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,327
This is where the tough get tough. If HRC are genuinely back big time then they'll plough on. I'm not convinced the management has steel balls yet.

Jake smith obvious choice.

Or completely assuming the GHR team and take everything they've got. Riders gear etc. support them to the hilt.

Last option

Give Marco Coma a deal he can't refuse. Salary cap should be ok at HRC. It would then guarantee status of Honda as being back long term.

Perhaps this new efi 450x is a death bike.

2 riders seems highly unusual. Very weird.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #860
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,378
F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Previous Team HRC chain-of-thought:

- if we win, the bike is exceptional

- if we don't, its the rider's fault.

I sincerely hope their Dakar effort is operating with a different frame of mind.

Judging from the press release, maybe not.
First comment, simple press release = no comment - don't think it was intentional just bland - after all Honda is Japanese

But pretty sure they are totally devastated and lost for words at the events of the last few days.
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #861
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
No Chris - only 4 men after Sam was injured, of course we don't know about Philipe as yet, but it can't be too positive for this time?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #862
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Talking last-minute deals... only sad memories come to me.
Fabrizio Meoni and Andy Caldecott weren't supposed to run their last races, but unfortunately did so

I wish soon recovery and return for both Sam and Filipe.
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #863
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalCCR View Post
Talking last-minute deals... only sad memories come to me.
Fabrizio Meoni and Andy Caldecott weren't supposed to run their last races, but unfortunately did so

I wish soon recovery and return for both Sam and Filipe.
Hang on a sec - Sam has broken his arm!!! He's not dead. He's young and über fit so will recover very quickly. Zanol is in the BEST place in the world to have had such an accident - the only other hospital might be Bethesda on other side of the US.

These riders will recover and now as I think Troy is alluding to, a very strong response is required from the MANAGEMENT at HRC.

No one has died here. I'm assuming some of the responses are due to the bikes chances of winning - because except for Troy :) we all bleed Honda red and want a red victory.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #864
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
First comment, simple press release = no comment - don't think it was intentional just bland - after all Honda is Japanese

But pretty sure they are totally devastated and lost for words at the events of the last few days.
How do you think red bull ktm would respond? They'd be right on it.

HRC (who hate criticism) need to come out bats swinging
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #865
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Hang on a sec - Sam has broken his arm!!! He's not dead. He's young and über fit so will recover very quickly. Zanol is in the BEST place in the world to have had such an accident - the only other hospital might be Bethesda on other side of the US.

These riders will recover and now as I think Troy is alluding to, a very strong response is required from the MANAGEMENT at HRC.

No one has died here. I'm assuming some of the responses are due to the bikes chances of winning - because except for Troy :) we all bleed Honda red and want a red victory.

You totally misunderstood what he was talking about

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #866
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
he does that from time to time.

i must admit, my thoughts immediately after feeling awful for sam and zanol (esp after meeting sam safari 2011) and wondering wtf happened in the mighty hrc camp & they need a replacement/s.

who else but the as younger smith could an aussie want. esp after troys lead up over the last couple of days.

it could then be fish, smithx2 and grabbo as the aus fast crew. how good would that be.

next came the last minute replacement (AC) concern.

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.

fetid_swamp screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 01:42 AM Reason: corrected by TSC thanks. Todd Smith is the elder bro
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #867
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Hang on a sec - Sam has broken his arm!!! ....
Sorry to scare you by maybe not so clearly written post. But right now I can recall only sad last-minute replacements. Meoni was called as late Sainct's (Pharaons rally) replacement, he shouldn't have raced as he ceased his Dakar career before. A year later Caldecott came instead of injured Jordi Duran after he hadn't collected enough to race on his own.
God, even now I can't resist tears remembering those two...

Sorry guys, didn't mean to bring back bad memories.
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #868
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalCCR View Post
Sorry to scare you by maybe not so clearly written post. But right now I can recall only sad last-minute replacements. Meoni was called as late Sainct's (Pharaons rally) replacement, he shouldn't have raced as he ceased his Dakar career before. A year later Caldecott came instead of injured Jordi Duran after he hadn't collected enough to race on his own.
God, even now I can't resist tears remembering those two...

Sorry guys, didn't mean to bring back bad memories.
I can totally see where you are coming from and it is sad but true that some of these last minute replacements do not work out for the best, sometimes best to let sleeping dogs lie until the next time
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #869
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Mxmum, really sorry to hear this. Please pass on best wishes to Sam for a full and speedy recovery.

Thoughts go out to Felipe as well for a swift recovery.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and best wishes, I will make sure Sam receives them and although he does not contribute to this forum I am sure he takes a sneeky peek now and again
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #870
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,363
J a k e s m i t h

Quote:
... I think Troy is alluding to, a very strong response is required from the MANAGEMENT at HRC...
Um... not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Ah... yes;

What I am alluding to is this HRC statement:

TEAM HRC will give full support and hopes that the riders are on their way to recovery. We will communicate any news on their condition, as we will inform you on the riders’ participation of the 2013 Dakar Race.

And how they (with the short timeframe available) intend to proceed towards the rally in January, and the immediate future thereafter; as far as their riding staff is concerned.

There is no doubt on that front that Felipe and Sam have recieved (and will continue to be treated) with the best medical care available, and we hope that both make a full recovery - some extra positive energy being sent to Felipe and his family's way just now; at what must be a most worrying time.

As far as the rider roster for the DAKAR is concerned, the word is that after Sam's accident; there were no immediate plans to look for a replacement for january... ie: go with the remaining four rider team.

When Zanol bit the dirt shortly thereafter... suddenly 24 hours on and HRC are looking at going to the startline with a 40% depleted armarda... before they even start.

The question is for mine - will they start with only these three, or look for (one or two) riders to fill the spots?

Obviously the entries, bikes, team logistics (ie. fiscal investment and planning) are already in place and have been budgeted/expended...

Does the management now just take the bullet on 40% of that investment, or look for a mercinary to come in at the 11th hour (it's happened many times before).

In the case they DO look to go down that route... next question is (given that the HRC effort is based on several global affiliates within the HONDA worldwide family, who have each contributed to budget/rider input from their respective geographic regions); do they look at picking a replacement SOLEY based on geographic/demographics... or hire the mercinary that is best for the job - regardless of WHERE they are from.

I would think that an already existing long term affiliation with an established national HONDA satellite team, a prior winning record in a number of major races over the last few years, many of these over other existing top level DAKAR competitors, one who previous DAKAR experience/finish AND has all of the applicable FIM licences etc. to do the job, just pack the helmet, boots and neckbrace and jump on a plane...

When I put all this in my melon shaped database on Tuesday... one name popped up on top of my short list... but I am sure there are others out there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetid_swamp View Post
who else but the as elder smith could an aussie want. esp after troys lead up over the last couple of days.
Just for the record... Jake isthe younger of the Smith boy's (Todd is his elder brother)... it is just that Jake got an earlier start on the Rally scene... by placing second - on debut - in the 2007 Australian Safari; at just age 18...

Oh... did I mention, youth, talent, experience and results in my credentials comment above...?

Five Oz Safari starts... two wins, two seconds, one broken leg (2011) while leading...
and a list of other Aussie cross country rally, desert race, MX and SX victories under his belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote