User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
K0m4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Paperwork for TU and Geo for EU citizen & vehicle

There's a chance I would move to Tbilisi in the near future, and today I started toying with the idea of bringing my bike. I searched a bunch of threads here about riding through Turkey and to Georgia, but most of them are about routes, which I already have a clear one in mind. I have also been to the South Caucasus many times, so I have a good idea of what to expect.

However, one question is left unanswered: what, if any, paperwork is involved for me as a EU citizen with a EU registered bike to go to Turkey first and Georgia second? Is there a need for a carnet, or can I just go? Insurance policies are obvious, it's more about the bureaucracy and rules in those countries I am unaware of.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,210
I (US citizen) just completed a trip from Germany to Tbilisi and back via Turkey this Fall on a US registered bike that I keep in Germany. No carnet required for Turkey or Georgia. At the Greece-Turkey border I showed passport, visa purchased at the border (15 Euro), insurance purchased at the border (25-30 Euro I think), vehicle registration from home. Entering Georgia from Turkey near Batumi, Georgia I showed passport and vehicle registration only and had to answer the question, "why are you riding a motorcycle in Georgia?" :)

Beware/as you may know: Georgian drivers are ummm, "aggressive". Roads are ummm "challenging", and motorcycle infrastructure (stores, parts, etc) are seemingly nonexistent. I saw one other motorcycle in Tbilisi. He looked as scared as me. Regarding the roads, my rear shock on my admittedly overloaded BMW R12GSA blew out its oil.

I would recommend bringing lots of spare parts and service/maintenance inventory with me.

I don't know about how long you can keep a bike brought in, but since they did not seem to capture any information about the bike as I entered or left, I doubt there will be issues with importation limits, etc. No idea about licensing, but whoever is in charge of that should be executed, because that place is a madhouse of crazy drivers. No offense meant, but each day I was winess to at leas 2 accidents of a major kind, no exaggeration - trucks in ditches, fender benders. They seem to take it as an everyday thing because it is.

Good luck, be careful, wear all the gear, all the time. Have a great time.

How was riding in the South Caucasus?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
K0m4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Thanks for the info! I guess that if a US registered bike didn't need any paperwork, an EU registered shouldn't either.

Yes, traffic in Georgia is... interesting... I haven't ridden a bike in the region, but I travel there several times per year through work - all countries. The traffic is generally interesting all over the region actually.. Last time I was in Tbilisi I actually heard two sports bikes riding up and down the main centre street (Rustaveli) - never saw them, but you could tell they were accidents waiting to happen... I felt sorry for the suspension though!

As far as I understand (from stories I've heard) the licensing procedure involves slipping someone a hundred-dollar note (or even 50) and then you get your license... It's all part of the adventure!

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote