ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #6436
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 375
I'm thinking about holding out on doing the right side cover seals and the oil pump leak stoppers and the PG until after I get it running when I have to change the oil again anyway.

Getting antsy[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about antsy. You really gonna want to pull the cover off again after its all together? Its out now, just go ahead and get it all done. Then ride ride ride ride.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #6437
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post
I'm thinking about holding out on doing the right side cover seals and the oil pump leak stoppers and the PG until after I get it running when I have to change the oil again anyway.

Getting antsy

Quote:
I know what you mean about antsy. You really gonna want to pull the cover off again after its all together? Its out now, just go ahead and get it all done. Then ride ride ride ride.
I agree. Driveshaft and shifter shaft are easy to do afterwards, but decompression seal on the rocker box cover and the clutch actuator lever seals are a must-replace-before-engine installation item as far as I am concerned. All the seals at once! Save yourself the trouble!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #6438
zimmerman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
first post

hey all,
joined Advrider beacuse im looking at a 83 xl600 soon that a friend of the family has and would like to get more into adv. riding. So how is the xl on long rides loaded up. What bags do you use hard or soft? any pics of your bikes loaded up? thanks
zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #6439
SkyToph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Pissed New XL 600! A Tale of Blood, Theifs, and a boys love for his XL 600!

What is up!

Really excited about this thread! I would of never guessed that there would be a thread for this awesome bike!!

I do not own one, wish I did! I will post my bike soon (TW 200). My buddy has one that I am in love with! Here is the crazy story of last sunday's events!!!

My buddy had his bike in front of his house in New Orleans for far too long (this is a really greasy city, not in a good way)! Someone drove a screw driver into the ignition trying to steal it. This gave my really busy friend even more delay for moving the bike (he just had a baby). It also gave the slime balls who attempted to steal it time to brain storm.....

Last saturday night my friend and I were chatting on the phone. "We need to move the bike" he said. I agreed "ya man! I've been saying that ever since I got to town! lets do it tomorrow!" He agreed. 6 hours later, at 6 am, his neighbors wife came banging on the door... "someone is taking your bike!!" My bud totally Redlined................ Out the door in a flash in his boxers... In front of his house he saw a Uhaul truck with his XL 600 half way up the ramp dragged on its side. Handle bars locked, chain on the rear tire. Full speed my bud charged the truck with one thing on his mind..."gotta stop that trucK!!!!" as the truck floored it, my bud ran so fast that his legs came out from under him. As the truck sped away, he laid there in defeat, in his skippys, with road rash on his hand, knees and on the tops of his feet! bad rash, like chunks of skin missing, like he feel from a moving bike! (I think he blacked out and actually grabbed the truck and was dragged.

Anyway, he lay there in defeat, and looked behind him. There in the middle of the road, his XL awaited him. He told his girl that he didn't want to tell me because he knew I would be pissed. I reacted totally the opposite! I knew that it was a win! That we still had the bike!! And immediately brought it to our shop and fixed it up.

I told this story for one reason... to lead up to the missing part... the Seat! The F>>KER trying to steal the bike took the seat and whipped it into his Uhaul before he tried to load it!

Is there anybody out there with a XL 600 Seat? They are extremely hard to find! His is an 85, so the blue one.

I will post some pics tomorrow of the bike.. man I love that bike!
SkyToph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #6440
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerman View Post
hey all,
joined Advrider beacuse im looking at a 83 xl600 soon that a friend of the family has and would like to get more into adv. riding. So how is the xl on long rides loaded up. What bags do you use hard or soft? any pics of your bikes loaded up? thanks
I put a sidecar chassis on mine with a couple of large ammo boxes bolted to it.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #6441
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyToph View Post
What is up!

Really excited about this thread! I would of never guessed that there would be a thread for this awesome bike!!

I do not own one, wish I did! I will post my bike soon (TW 200). My buddy has one that I am in love with! Here is the crazy story of last sunday's events!!!

My buddy had his bike in front of his house in New Orleans for far too long (this is a really greasy city, not in a good way)! Someone drove a screw driver into the ignition trying to steal it. This gave my really busy friend even more delay for moving the bike (he just had a baby). It also gave the slime balls who attempted to steal it time to brain storm.....

Last saturday night my friend and I were chatting on the phone. "We need to move the bike" he said. I agreed "ya man! I've been saying that ever since I got to town! lets do it tomorrow!" He agreed. 6 hours later, at 6 am, his neighbors wife came banging on the door... "someone is taking your bike!!" My bud totally Redlined................ Out the door in a flash in his boxers... In front of his house he saw a Uhaul truck with his XL 600 half way up the ramp dragged on its side. Handle bars locked, chain on the rear tire. Full speed my bud charged the truck with one thing on his mind..."gotta stop that trucK!!!!" as the truck floored it, my bud ran so fast that his legs came out from under him. As the truck sped away, he laid there in defeat, in his skippys, with road rash on his hand, knees and on the tops of his feet! bad rash, like chunks of skin missing, like he feel from a moving bike! (I think he blacked out and actually grabbed the truck and was dragged.

Anyway, he lay there in defeat, and looked behind him. There in the middle of the road, his XL awaited him. He told his girl that he didn't want to tell me because he knew I would be pissed. I reacted totally the opposite! I knew that it was a win! That we still had the bike!! And immediately brought it to our shop and fixed it up.

I told this story for one reason... to lead up to the missing part... the Seat! The F>>KER trying to steal the bike took the seat and whipped it into his Uhaul before he tried to load it!

Is there anybody out there with a XL 600 Seat? They are extremely hard to find! His is an 85, so the blue one.

I will post some pics tomorrow of the bike.. man I love that bike!

Nice save.

I have a blue seat I will part with.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #6442
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post

I want that tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #6443
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:

Sweet. I would love that version of the XL600.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #6444
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
I want that tank.
You can't have it is mine!!

It is a genuine Honda tank fitted to the XL600LMF (PD04) and the seat is slightly different, it has a wider nose at a different angle of attack.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #6445
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
I would like the side car
The sidecar was the easy bit.Made it all myself, cost about 40 in materials and I have a seat fitted in it for my kids to sit in (One at a time).
The hardest part was sorting out the mountings.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #6446
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerman View Post
hey all,
I used to ride mine across the state (about 4 hours near wide open throttle) fully loaded. I didn't have saddlebags, so I strapped duffel bags to the rear rack. The rack isn't rated for that much weight, so I also ran straps from the rack to the frame under the seat to keep it from bending. To keep the duffel bags from sagging into the exhaust, I layed a piece of plywood along the inside bottom of the bag. Once stuffed full, they became pretty rigid. You can sdjust the preload for the added weight.

At the time, I had a 44 tooth (or was it 45?) rear sprocket for a little better highway gearing. The bike seemed to like rpms about 80% of redine, but would sustain 90% OK. Top speed on mine was about 85-90 mph. In the heat of summer (115 F) the oil temperature would continue to climb, and I would pull off to let it cool after riding at 75 mph for 2 hours or so. It is ready to go after a pee break, so no big deal. XR's Only sells an oil temperature dipstick that lets you monitor that, and is worth every penny.

In summary, the XL does just fine riding solo on long trips, but lacks the capacity to travel long distance with a passenger. As long as total load is less than the weight of the bike, you'll be fine.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #6447
SkyToph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Nice save.

I have a blue seat I will part with.

Hey mental guru!

You woul be savIng this bike! We will take it if it fits a xl 600!!
How can we purchase it!!
SkyToph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #6448
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
You can't have it is mine!!

It is a genuine Honda tank fitted to the XL600LMF (PD04) and the seat is slightly different, it has a wider nose at a different angle of attack.
Since you're a legitimate European I wonder if you could answer this question. Did all the XL600R PD03 (or the XL600RM I think) bikes come with the bigger 43mm forks? I ask this because I'm trying to buy a fork yolk set from one so I can run the 43mm XR600R forks and still have the headlight and ignition mounts.

These are the pieces I'm reffering to
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200716912968...84.m1438.l2649

If you don't know that's cool, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #6449
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
FWIW, my 1987 XL600RMG PD04 has 41mm forks. This is an Australian model, so can't be sure it doesn't differ from US/Euro models, but I dont think so.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #6450
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 356
Hi

The XL had 39 or 41 mm forks .
No XL , R or RM , European or US had 43 mm forks .

If you want to upgrade the Forks and keep the Ignition Lock you need the Fork yoke set
from the new CRF250L and the USD Fork from the XR 400.
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote