ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #376
DIRTSCOOTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Toad

So Toad, is that third wheel of yours driven or just free wheeling.

2013 Triumph Trophy

'05 drz s/sm
DIRTSCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #377
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTSCOOTER View Post
So Toad, is that third wheel of yours driven or just free wheeling.
It has engageable 2 wheel drive. It has gotten me out of more than a few situations.

-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #378
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
New guy?

Hey - can a new guy play as well? I'm just over the eastern edge of Washtenaw County (Northville), but love those roads. If I get a break in the rain this weekend, I'll need a good excuse for a ride.

Hey Toad - would you mind telling me more about your DR? I read your excellent "Expedition Michigan" ride report and am very interested in your bike. I've got a 1200GS and a Yamaha TW200 and think I need something in between for a ride through the UP next summer. I may even sell the TW and buy a used DR. I'm curious about your thoughts on the DR350 vs. DRZ400. Where did you get your rear rack and bigger tank???
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #379
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,152
I have to get a day ride together and head south to check out your riding area !
I'm getting tired of this area .
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #380
DIRTSCOOTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Drz 400

Smallberries,

A fellow TCD member here, I have a drz and live not too far from you. I you want to see it, sit on it or take it for a ride let me know.

2013 Triumph Trophy

'05 drz s/sm
DIRTSCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #381
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTSCOOTER View Post
Smallberries,

A fellow TCD member here, I have a drz and live not too far from you. I you want to see it, sit on it or take it for a ride let me know.
I'm out in Northville once in a while (dad lives there), and I also have a DRZ400S (almost an "E" now). DIRTSCOOTER and I should ride out to see you. Any excuse to ride!
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #382
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Hey - can a new guy play as well? I'm just over the eastern edge of Washtenaw County (Northville), but love those roads. If I get a break in the rain this weekend, I'll need a good excuse for a ride.

Hey Toad - would you mind telling me more about your DR? I read your excellent "Expedition Michigan" ride report and am very interested in your bike. I've got a 1200GS and a Yamaha TW200 and think I need something in between for a ride through the UP next summer. I may even sell the TW and buy a used DR. I'm curious about your thoughts on the DR350 vs. DRZ400. Where did you get your rear rack and bigger tank???
"John" I think I saw you a few weeks ago on a saturday I was heading into Northiville on 7 Mile, you were heading west, just west of Beck. While I have an RT more and more of my miles on on my single cylinder bikes in the direction west of Novi/Northville. I have to say perhaps my favorite is my XR-400 (kick start/air cooled) that you can ride like you stole it and really never get you into trouble. Plus at approx 260 lbs is not a bear to pick up. Always open for a ride and and have some nice dirt routes to the likes of Hell/Pickney. Saturday later looks a bit dry and may head out to the Dam Site Inn to clear my head. The XR-400 and the TE-510 have between them three various Cannon Treks completed. As many can attest, there is no one perfect bike, just all the more reason to have a few at your disposal

Paul O
Husky TE-510
Stumpjumper Carbon 29'r PRO
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #383
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Today???

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeasy View Post
"John" I think I saw you a few weeks ago on a saturday I was heading into Northiville on 7 Mile, you were heading west, just west of Beck. While I have an RT more and more of my miles on on my single cylinder bikes in the direction west of Novi/Northville. I have to say perhaps my favorite is my XR-400 (kick start/air cooled) that you can ride like you stole it and really never get you into trouble. Plus at approx 260 lbs is not a bear to pick up. Always open for a ride and and have some nice dirt routes to the likes of Hell/Pickney. Saturday later looks a bit dry and may head out to the Dam Site Inn to clear my head. The XR-400 and the TE-510 have between them three various Cannon Treks completed. As many can attest, there is no one perfect bike, just all the more reason to have a few at your disposal

Paul O
Could have been me. I look like a giant tomato with red winter jacket with the word 'Airbag' on the back and a red GS.

I am itching to ride today - but have a funeral in Warren at 11 am. I'm not quite sure when I can be back. Ideally, I'd like to meet up at 2:30 (say - BP station at 7 & Beck) and then go find the tag near McClure Road. Any rules against multiple bikes in one tag?

It's a good day for the electric heat and getting the GS a bit dirty.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #384
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride Today

Will try to be there at 2:30 (Gas station at 7 and Beck)

Paul O
Husky TE-510
Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #385
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Your are it - head NE

Proeasy and I took advantage of the weather break today and got this tag:

We rode the muddy backroads as much as possible to get to Mill Lake and then head back to our side of town for a tag of our own:

Hint - it's about as far NE as you can go in Washtenaw County.

Have at it...
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #386
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
Tagged the tower

I got up early, 'cause I heard it was going to rain later. I shot this tower way up near the northern border of Washtenaw Co. Gave me a chance to try out my new tag-a-camera. It was a little hard to use with frozen fingers, but I struggled through it.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #387
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
Farmhouse Tag

Here is an old farmhouse I passed on my way out to the tower tag. It is just outside Ypsilanti on a North-South road northeast of the center of town. The name of this road is the same as a British high-performance motorcycle components company. Its about two miles inside the county line.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #388
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post

I've owned the DRZ about a year and a half and cant say anyting but good things about it.

It began life as an S model, I have since added:

Sidecase protectors
Larger tank (IMS 4.0 gallon)
MSR radiator guards
Tusk D Flex hand guards
Moose Expedition rack
Heated grips
LED aux lights up front (too see and be seen)
Seat Concepts seat (went thru about 4 others)

I think im done now

We've done quite a bit riding in the LP as well as Tennessee mountains.

Planning on a big cross country dirt trek summer 2013 on her.

Feel free to PM anytime if you want to come check it out, sit, ride, etc.

now.. back to the tagging

-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #389
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
510 vs 630

Proeasy. how do you like the 630 compared to the 510?

itsnt it much heavier? I keep hearing things like "bmw has RUINED husqvarna forever!"

please comment
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #390
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer's trails View Post
Proeasy. how do you like the 630 compared to the 510?

itsnt it much heavier? I keep hearing things like "bmw has RUINED husqvarna forever!"

please comment
Actually both are proper Husquvarna's (pre BMW motors)

The-510 is motocross bike with blinkers, approx 260 lbs, close ratio transmission that is great in the trails. Much more power than my-630. The down side of this bike is the engine does not have a balance shaft and is quite buzzy. Great bike for the likes of the GLDS rides. Had to put a aftermarket gas tank on it to get above the factory 70 Mile range

The -630 is the last of this bike series from Husqvarnar it, has been replaced by the Terra -650 (BMW Motor). I really like the -630, approx 310 lbs wide ratio transmission that is better for back roads/true dual sport rides on the dirt roads west of Northville. The new TR-650 gained about 80 lbs, went to a 5 speed gearbox, and has less suspension travel than the -630. Only good point is that it gets better fuel economy. Between the bike and the way I ride, I get around 40 MPG on the -630.

Long term I think it will be good thing, to compete with KTM. I like what they did with Nuda, that we do not get here in the US.

In summary no perfect bike that is why we need a few
Husky TE-510

proeasy screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 01:59 PM