DNL Adventures: Eastern Oklahoma Bridges and More Tour Part Deux

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by okraider81, Dec 4, 2012.

1. okraider81

okraider81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok...let's try this again. I started this thread once before and managed to somehow nuke it within 5 minutes:doh

Oklahoma winter is sometimes really cold...this year, NOT. So on December 1st with a high temperature of 75 degrees Zekester63 and I decided it would be a good day for our Bridges and More Tour. Only downside was the wind blowing 35 mph from the South. We decided not to let a little breeze deter us.

Our Planned Route.

[​IMG]

My DRZ affectionately known as QEII ready to go.

[​IMG]

Zekester finally shows up on his newly minted WR known as Roxy.

[​IMG]

Our first destination of the day is the birthplace of Oklahoma's most famous citizen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stop was to be the Winganon Bridge over lake Oolagah. But, the a fore mentioned wind threatened to blow us off the bridge into the angry water below, if the Dodge dooly breathing down our necks did run us over. So, we decided discretion was the better part of valor and opted to wait till we crossed the bridge to stop for a picture. We are on dry lake bed where once lake Oolagah had been (before this drought). You can just see the Winganon bridge in the background.

[​IMG]

Also made a stop at the abandoned (obviously) Winganon School House.

[​IMG]

Our Next destination is one of those places like "Worlds Largest Ball Of Yarn", or "Worlds Largest Prarie Dog" that makes you ask; Why?

Worlds largest cement totem pole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near Chelsea there remains one of the original Route 66 bridges. If you like old bridges you will like this one.

[​IMG]

Don't think it is all that popular with the local raccoon population though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WARNING: If you are trying to avoid candy and other confectionery treats do not stop here!

[​IMG]
  2. zekester63

zekester63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  3. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way to get out and ride with the warm weather. Like the old schoolhouse. :super
  4. okraider81

okraider81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made our way into Salina for gas and grub. Highly recommend the "Pig Out" drive in. Great burger and a reasonable price. Only tables are outside, so either you do like the locals and eat in your 4x4 or eat at a picnic table.

[​IMG]

East of Salina there are some nice curvy roads and if you get off the slab some scenic gravel ones as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. okraider81

okraider81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The "Blue Hole" was closed for the winter but looks like it would be a nice place to visit in the Summer.

[​IMG]

Salina has one more attraction; A T-38 on a stick. Zekester's favorite bird.

[​IMG]
  6. okraider81

okraider81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Below lake Hudson Dam at the Hudson ORV area. Wanted to make sure Zekester got that new WR dirty.:nod

[​IMG]

Sun was starting to get low. DRZ's arent known for their great headlights so we started home.

[​IMG]

Zekester and I went our separate ways home. Great little day trip with a little bit of everything thrown in. Beats doing chores at home anyday! :D

[​IMG]
  7. zekester63

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing the write-up Okraider81. This makes the ride come alive, so to speak. It also helps me remember how much fun it was, and the memories of battling the wind, especially on my way home, are diminishing every day. Great job! :clap
  8. zekester63

Oddometer:
    By the way, Roxy has seen some dirt and mud already. Just don't have anything other than this pic to prove it...yet! Looking forward to more!

[​IMG]
  9. zekester63

Oddometer:
    I figured that since okraider81 is so humble, he needs a couple shots of himself as well.

Okraider81 doing a slip-factor test of this bridge. Obviously we weren't too concerned, but with all the reports we've read about the TATs slippery water crossing in TN, he figured it wasn't a bad idea to see how this one was during a photo op.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. zekester63

Oddometer:
    Here's a few more pics from the day.

Start of the day. I had already ridden from my place in Jenks, but fortunately wasn't fighting the wind then.
    [​IMG]

Okraider81 said something to me about a nice ass... hmm...
    [​IMG]

Here's some bridge/Route 66 info for those that actually read this sort of stuff :wink:
    [​IMG]

Inside Will Roger's birthplace. With the location being right on Oolagah Lake, this would be a comfy place to retreat to on weekends:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okraider81 loves this barn:
    [​IMG]

The trails at Hudson ORV area were to my surprise better than I had expected. I had heard about this place a couple years ago but never tried it until the week before this ride (see pic of dirty Roxy in earlier post). Okraider81 and I have been to Gruber, Scipio, Stillwater, Draper, Appalachia Bay and ridden the Choctaw Nation Trail and K-trail, but this is closer to home and a great place to ride IMO. The trails aren't directional like some of the others, but it doesn't seem like much of an issue here (although I haven't been here when the trees are full of leaves).
    [​IMG]

The bluffs (and gravel roads) east of Salina remind me of where I grew up in AR:
    [​IMG]

Near the Port of Catoosa, okraider81 headed home to the north and I southwest.
    [​IMG]
  11. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to Oklahoma since I left Ft. Silly in Dec. 85. I know it's a different area of the state, but it looks nice.

It looks like you had a good time, I miss being out in the open spaces.

I'd live out your way in a heartbeat,NJ is starting to SUCK! I know there's tons of room to roam out there.

That shot of you guys checking that crossing for traction reminded me of Sill, all them things were slick as snot.:lol3

Thanks for the trip back, stay safe.
  12. zekester63

Oddometer:
    Funny how that works. We often sit here and grumble about living in Oklahoma...too hot, too windy, tornados, ice storms, 40-something days over 100°F, chiggers, ticks, snakes, mosquitos, drought... ok I better stop before I really get depressed. :wink: We read the awesome RRs from others in places that seem so much "better". Funny thing for me about this little day-trip was that this is all in my backyard (or maybe it's the front, since it's north of my house), and I didn't even know most of these places existed. Sure, I'd love to live and ride out west somewhere, but for now Okraider81 and I have agreed to make the best of what we have available to us.

Thanks for stopping by!
  13. GP MX Fan

GP MX Fan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR and makes me homesick since I grew up not too far away in Sand Springs.
  14. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report. It was a great December weekend for riding in Oklahoma. You guys should stop by for the Tulsa Tuesday outing (TTPC thread). Maybe come ride with us sometime. We have a New Years day ride and charity ride coming up in January.
  15. okraider81

okraider81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So where are you guys planning to ride in January?
  16. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM.
  17. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But we got you beat all to hell for humidity. I was stationed at Sill with a guy from OKC who did basic in Ft. Dix in January, he said that's too damned cold, between the low temp and nutty moisture. I'll take winter out your way anytime over our normal winters. This past one was nice out though.

All we can do is play the hand mother natures crazy ass deals us!:rofl:rofl
  18. Maxpacker

Maxpacker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to plan a 2-3 day ride in Eastern OK in a couple of weeks. Would you consider sharing your GPX so I could look at your route?