ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
motolombardo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Where to live in Chicago

Hello inmates,
Possibly accepting a job in downtown (south loop) and I am struggling to figure out how far from the city I need to be to find a rental with a 1 car garage. Wouldn't mind 'city living' but I am used to the burbs (wife would prefer the city)

Vitals:
Garage (6 bikes but looking to cut back)
Public transportation to the city
$1500-2k price range

Any recommended neighborhoods or ideas would be appreciated, I know it's a broad question but I figured what the hell..
motolombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
cafebmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
There are 6 or 8 train lines that run from downtown to the suburbs. Within 30 minutes you can be out far enough to enjoy life. City living can be cool, but riding in the city sucks. The people and places are cool but the politicians have made Chicago a real crappy place to live. You can find a great place much cheaper in the burbs, have room for bikes, and not have to deal with living in the city.

And before anyone gives me a hard time for knocking Chicago, I have 4 bikes and live in the city.
cafebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Keith H
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I LOVE Chicago, lived there for 3years, family still there. However, now that I'm outta my twenties with kids. Chesterton, IN. Take the South Shore and forget the IL politics and un/underfunded pension liabilities(see higher taxes).
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Bluegrass
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Berwyn

My 2 cents,,,,,I lived in berwyn for 5 years....great location only 7 miles from the lake..blue line L and walking distance to oak park, 290 it was literally the best place to get inand out of the city and beyond. We bought a nice little house it had a 2 car garage yard for the dog and a nice ally and it was priced right.

Check it out.
Good luck
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Ungaro
n00b

Oddometer: 8
14 years in the NW suburbs. Last time in the Algonquin area. Lake County is great but a little more $. Kane county is ok and so is McHenry country. All depends on the location of your job.
Ungaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,671
If you are looking into the north suburbs I can help, put you on the train line. From Grayslake Il. it's about a 1 hour train into the union station. For that price let's find a two car garage.

I can be contacted here, a pm or here's my web site
www.starhometeam.com

jim@starhomefinders.com

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
kingmildred
n00b

Oddometer: 7
you should be able to find a nice two bedroom with garage north of the loop for that price.
Start in Lincoln park and look North at neighborhoods Lakeview, Andersonville/Edgewater, Rogers park and Evanston (not the city). Try to stay within walking distance of elevated transit, or ride a narrow bike or scooter(the bus sucks and so does traffic.)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
If you want to live in Illinois (as opposed to Indiana), I would suggest avoiding Cook County. I live in the NW suburbs in DuPage County. Using Metra, I'm about 35 minutes from downtown on a semi-express train (as opposed to a local which makes all stops - even then, it's 45-50 minutes). I have a two bedroom townhouse with 2 car garage. I pay in the middle of your price range. I'm very close to the 290 extension as well as 90. The train station is within walking distance (~1 mile). O'Hare is about 20 minutes, on local roads, east of me. Shopping/Mall are both very close (grocery stores [2] within walking distance). Local schools are good to very good.

You should have lots of choices, given the current real estate market. Skinner is a good guy if you decide to be further North.

If you decide you would like to explore this area, I can put you in touch with my real estate agent. She has lived here all of her life and knows the ins & outs of the area.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I pay $700 for a 2 bedroom apartment and a seperate rented garage (with 4 bikes) in the Humboldt Park/Logan Square area. It's about 4 miles to the West Loop from my place. My place isn't paradise, but I wanted to let you know that you won't have any problems finding a decent place in your price range (or cheaper!) if you just look around. There's a lot of guys with motorcycles in the neighborhood, but it's not for everyone...

Everyone's advise so far is pretty good, I'd say the best neighborhood for you - while working in the west loop - would be the Noble Square area. It's super close to the highway, downtown, and Wicker Park without being too expensive. You'll be fine looking at anything on the northside off the Red, blue or brown lines.
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Bikaholic51
Electric Kaiser

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
If you are looking into the north suburbs I can help, put you on the train line. From Grayslake Il. it's about a 1 hour train into the union station. For that price let's find a two car garage.

I can be contacted here, a pm or here's my web site
www.starhometeam.com

jim@starhomefinders.com
Hard not to agree with Skinner. I am in Wauconda and do enjoy Lake county. Many people visit and can not believe it is this nice and still close to Chicago. We can grab the Grayslake Train or the Fox River Grove train. I love the city and grew up on the North side. Lincoln Square. Still go back a lot. Heading in for a concert this friday. You will love Chicago. Great Town with Great people. Just don't read the papers.

88 R100RT-82 R100S-72 R75/5-70 R75/5 hack
Bikaholic51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
I'm southwest suburbs.

Main highway to town is I-55 - about an hour to the city most days, but can be worse with traffic.

There is a metra - it can take some time to the loop.

You want to look at where in the south loop the office will be in relation to Union Station, and Olgleve (S.P?) depending it can be hard to get to certain parts from there with out a taxi or bus.

Where as the L - goes much more areas quicker.

The southshore to Indiana does make sense, but it also depends on your hours in the City - and your social life. And what sort of riding you like doing or other activities.

Hard to get out of cook county in less than an hour. People will say its an hour on a metra into the city, but you're actually talking an hour of in motion train time, plus stops, plus delays, plus boarding/deboarding. And they run limited hours, for me the 1 hour train trip is going to be a 35 minute ordeal on both front and back end.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote