Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #616
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
thanks bill for the offer to help. you wanna help in the "recycling department".

who leaked it out that i'm sleeping in your room?..............

looks like there are 2 brians.

tim, in the absence of sheeps and the burros scare me, gotta do what i have to do.....hahahaha
Recycling is fine...

Rider 100 - Bryan
Rider 184 - Brian

Two different riders.

If I've inadvertently volunteered to provide warmth for anyone, I'll bring my 100lb lab. He likes to snuggle

http://ConTeacher.whereamiriding.com

ConTeacher screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 06:13 PM
ConTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #617
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Looks like ( o Y o ) is first in line

Let me know when you want to pick them up

-M
I want to pick those up right now!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #618
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,053
Any Las Vegas area noobs want to learn how to change tires this Saturday morning? Send me a PM if you're interested.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #619
aanichols
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
registration

How do I register for the Noob's Rally?
aanichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #620
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by aanichols View Post
How do I register for the Noob's Rally?

read page 1 list your information in the proper format and fyyff will put you on the waiting list. Darn good chance you'll get in since the event is a long way off and peeps schedules change.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #621
aanichols
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
sign me up

TR2 D3 530exc
aanichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #622
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,650
Hack #140 on the list . Can I please be changed to tent camping.

Also have a question as we are trying to crunch numbers. Won't hold anyone to it and did try to do some research through past years ride reports but can't find anything on pricing for the event? Someone got a rough number they can throw out? Tent camping and three dinners. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Chris
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #623
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Hack #140 on the list . Can I please be changed to tent camping.

Also have a question as we are trying to crunch numbers. Won't hold anyone to it and did try to do some research through past years ride reports but can't find anything on pricing for the event? Someone got a rough number they can throw out? Tent camping and three dinners. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Chris

$90 ish if you're riding in, tenting, and all dinners. Further donations always appreciated.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #624
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,650
^^ Thank you.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #625
S_Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
SAR List and GPS Tracks:

The tracks we have to date for DV can be downloaded from here: http://dsm8.crazytrend.com/

SAR Input form:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UHhfV1otRmc6MQ
Can any of you old hands share some info on the routes? I downloaded the tracks but it would be great to know, attractions, skill level required, anything that shouldn't be missed etc.
Thanks
Steve
S_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #626
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Palmer View Post
Can any of you old hands share some info on the routes? I downloaded the tracks but it would be great to know, attractions, skill level required, anything that shouldn't be missed etc.
Thanks
Steve
The skill levels are set by the ride leader in the listed rides. More discussion can take place about what that ride entails as well as sights and attractions on the route. Skill level also has to do with speed capability. Some of us ride faster than others...wink-wink. We try to match up comparable skill, trail difficulty, pace, length etc. with the riders.

In previous years there were more than a dozen rides setup. I keep saying we need to be patient and let ride leaders decide on what and where, then post their rides up. You can bet Joel will be asking those that can to step up and start a ride. We still have plenty of time for this process to run it's course.

browneye screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 09:00 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #627
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks
Steve

Yep, what Browneye said, plus the routes can vary with "current conditions".. You will see other threads in the West about what it's like in DV at this moment ! Example the steps at Goler wash right now are relatively easy but 2 1/2 miles up canyon have become much more difficult than they normally are..

Right now South Pass sounds tougher than normal too due to a storm that went through in August.... This condition will change with the winter weather and all the Jeeps that pass through, so who knows what it will be like at the end of March..

Many of us will be up at DV 2 or 3 times before the NooBs Rally so we will have first hand knowledge to give the ride leaders.

Even if you are riding on a level road you have to be ready for washouts (across the entire road as well as on the edge), deeper sand, silt beds, large rocks embedded in the road (pinch flats are a pain)..

The size / weight of the bike makes a big difference too. Lots of miles makes a big bike enjoyable when riding the paved roads and graded roads to get to some of the sights like Racetrack, at the expense of having a tough time if you attempt to do Lippencott Mine Rd back to PSR.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #628
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Cool2 Details

Quote:
Thanks
Steve
As of a couple weeks ago:

• Saline Valley to hunter mountain - Easy very N00B Friendly.
  • Hunter Mountain - Easy same as above
  • Hidden Valley - Easy but some soft spots, can be a challenge to new riders on big bike. Last bit to Tea Kettle a little rough just slow down a bit.
  • Tea Kettle to Race Track - Pretty bad shape, number of washouts that come up suddenly. Have to be aware of this and ride accordingly. N00B friendly on 650cc and smaller, big bike doable just have to watch your pace.
  • Lippencott - pretty rough shape with some VERY tough downhill sections that are whooped out due to jeeps coming up. The long grind at the end back to Saline is cobblier and rockier than last year.
  • South Pass between Lippencott and Hunter MT - This was the worse of it, only one really bad section that was very tough due to losing all speed to make the sharp turns which are pretty close together.
Like all things in DV the conditions may change, a single pass from the grader would take are of S Pass, Lippencott will most likely remain a challenge well into spring.

Don't know if this helps much but I did the loop on a 990 and S Pass was the hardest part, followed by a few sections on Lippencott. I would NOT recommend this loop for a new rider regardless of what bike they are on. Better off making a right at Tea Kettle and heading to the crater and back via pavement. A new rider on bigger bike will most likely be spent by that point anyways. Distance for this loop is about 120 miles.

Of course you can always backtrack and go home via Hunter Mountain, yes it is that nice of a ride doing it in reverse is just as fun (assuming there is no snow). I figure the distance is about the same as the full loop.

Hope that helps.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #629
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
# 167 Robert (baybueller).I have a friend that would like to truck in (klx 250) , stay in the RV, and partake in fri/sat meals. This would be his first M.M., A true event Noob but experienced rider.
Thanks. His name is Steve H.

baybueller screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 09:27 AM Reason: omission
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #630
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybueller View Post
# 167 Robert (baybueller).I have a friend that would like to truck in (klx 250) , stay in the RV, and partake in fri/sat meals. This would be his first M.M., A true event Noob but experienced rider.
Thanks. His name is Steve H.
OK. I added him to waiting list.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote