Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #16
Ridgeline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I can vary the heat of the grips on my FJR, and it's delightful. 38F was no problem at all at highway speeds. The FJR mirrors deflect a fair bit of wind away from the grip area. I think a set of hand guards and grip heaters would cover temps as low as you would want to go. I can't comment on the best cheapest, the FJR came equipped with them
Ridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
Ironfish653
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 60
+1 to this ^

Handguards and heated grips are probably the most versatile set-up. I have the Oxfords, and Acerbis Multiplo's with the big 'touring' deflectors. Comfortable down to ~40* with plain leather 'sport' gloves, and the heaters on ~50%. I can survive my 30-min commute down in to the ~20*'s with this setup and regular gloves, but by that point, i've usually switched to insulated gloves.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
Titan1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Miss my heated grips

I rode from MI to FL recently and my hands were in A LOT of pain with the temp in the 30's and no heated grips.

My previous KLR had heated grips and I liked them but needed some controls other than high or low. Low was to cold and high felt like my hands were burning.

If had to do it over again, I would get heated grips, set them to low and have Hippos to keep the wind off my hands.

I dont like heated gloves, they are warm but not as tactile as I like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6T2U12wmI
Titan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo58 View Post
i have these they work for snowmobiles and work great on my bike and they are cheap
http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph200.htm
+1
I just wish I was able to get them shipped across the pond to Europe
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,428
Grips are wonderful -- they are always on the bike, and do a great job (for me) down to 45 degrees
Fahrenheit (for me) . . . .

Below that, or for a longer ride, gerbings gloves for me ;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I'm an old fart and my circulation isn't what it should be, so I have a problem with heated grips. In order to get the enough heat to transfer to my hands I have to keep a firm grip which tends to effect the circulation sort of a catch 22.

To get the blood flowing I need to relax and when I do of course I lose the heat transfer.

Heated gloves are the way to go for me.

Ron W.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
lol, I dunno, ask any one of the millions of snowmobilers

Yes, they work great. Just like everything else in life, there is low end weenie crap that is just an aggrivation.
Don't waste your time or money.
I recommend www.hotgrips.com , they have been in business 28 years and manufacture in the US. I've had dozens of them on my sleds before the OEM's all made them standard.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre O`Bollox View Post
+1
I just wish I was able to get them shipped across the pond to Europe

I am looking at these Pollyheaters.. Does anyon know if they will insert into a stop KTM bar. They say they will go into a 5/8" bar and my bars are right at that. Just wondering.

I like the fact that I can use my own grip and the wires run inside the bars. I want less wires on the outside.
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I got some inexpensive under grip warmers with a hi/lo switch and a pair of Tusk covers. About a $40 investment. I taped under the warmers on the left side to insulate from the aluminum bar. Then taped the wiring down good to keep it from being damaged. On high they can get a little to warm, but other wise work pretty good. The only downside is that I cover my levers all the time so my fingers don't get much benefit.

After I put on these covers I realized they were just to tight and made the switch gear hard to get to, so I used a razor to cut thru the stitching holding the two halves together(On the left side in the picture), It was a separate box stitch and the rest of the stitching is fine. There are some thin metal bands in the opening, so they keep their shape. This bike also has hand guards that keep the covers in place.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #25
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Oxfords on my bike. Its the best thing I ever put on my bike. I start them in the morning on 100% them in a few miles I back it down to 50%. I wear a mild vented glove, but I have the wind protectors on the handlebars.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I purchased a pair of the Tusk "wind guards" like this ones pictured above. I got them for a sportbike and they fit pretty well. They do look out of place, but combined with heated grips allow me to ride in any temperature almost. I'll give up looks for function if it lets me keep riding year round.
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
bodhisattva65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Ive never understood heated grips. The only thing they keep warm is your palm. the back of my hands and fingers still get cold. Ive owned two bikes with them. If it is cool enough for heated grips I usually have gloves on. Go with heated gloves.
bodhisattva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,599
Love my grips Symco... heated grips. Hippos or? are nice if it is really cold. Cold thumbs at cold temps.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #29
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
Heated grips. Every bike. I put Symtec's on my KLR years ago. They work great. Really nice in early spring and late fall. A must have from late November to late March. Even in the dead of summer in the mountains after a storm has gone through during the night and dropped the morning temps.

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,451
I also installed Pro Grip Lever Grip Covers They insulate fingers from cold levers and help a lot when I need to use clutch frequently.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote