User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 204 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #26416
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
I got some nice road rash once when a sewup-err-tubular rolled off my rim in hot weather flying down a grade going 50MPH+ (hey, thats what the guy in the car behind me said I was doing. I lived where it was usually cool, so generally used the gummy tubular glue (Mastik or something?), and not the dry hard stuff (Clemenit?), because it made it easier to swap a flat tire.

Sewups-er-tubulars were wonderful riding, but I switched to 700c clinchers in the mid 80s, and haven't looked back
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #26417
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,184
Clement was my favourite at home and in the shop. I never had or knew of one that failed, but I know it can happen. You needed to be like Merckx and dump water on your tires as you descended!

When I was at the US Olympic Training Center in about 1989, they used a 3M product which I think was used for automotive trim--- somethingbond. It did fail more than once and the one time I was able to see the tubi afterward the adhesive had failed cleanly, staying with the tire but none of it remained on the rim.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #26418
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
descending at speed on a good road bike is one of my favorite things to do with clothes on. i always try to tell myself that once i'm going more than a couple dozen miles per hour i'm already going to get ripped up if i fall, so i might as well go for it...
Back in the day when I was young and naive (before motos and ATTGATT), I used to regularly hit 67-68 mph (according to the calibrated cyclo computer)on a steep hill in Roanoke county, VA called the Wall. The fun part was at the bottom of the descent, the road went into a nice right hand sweeper that would cause you to drift over the double yellow into the oncoming lane, just a couple inches. Talk about a rush. None of the guys I rode with exceeded the low 60's, but they weighed less and used their brakes (brains).
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #26419
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Clement was my favourite at home and in the shop. I never had or knew of one that failed, but I know it can happen. You needed to be like Merckx and dump water on your tires as you descended!

When I was at the US Olympic Training Center in about 1989, they used a 3M product which I think was used for automotive trim--- somethingbond. It did fail more than once and the one time I was able to see the tubi afterward the adhesive had failed cleanly, staying with the tire but none of it remained on the rim.
Fastack. Works really well if it absolutely HAS to be glued on RIGHT NOW. Dries quickly. Like in 20min quickly. Only problem is when you go to take the tire off, the base tape usually stays with the rim. AMHIK

...and while I don't condone this:

I completely understand it

M
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #26420
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Back in the day when I was young and naive (before motos and ATTGATT), I used to regularly hit 67-68 mph (according to the calibrated cyclo computer)on a steep hill in Roanoke county, VA called the Wall. The fun part was at the bottom of the descent, the road went into a nice right hand sweeper that would cause you to drift over the double yellow into the oncoming lane, just a couple inches. Talk about a rush. None of the guys I rode with exceeded the low 60's, but they weighed less and used their brakes (brains).
Kinsman Notch, NH Hwy 112 going East--12% for 2 miles, wide open. Went down that one with a big guy, and he said his CateyeMate showed 65 the last time I slingshot-passed him.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #26421
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,471
I did a Texas hill country tour in 1979 with two other riders. They were on a Schwinn Paramount tandem - these guys were twins and they were outstanding riders. Back then, Whit Snel had the Schwinn franchises in San Antonio (owns Bike World today) and these guys both worked for Whit.

When we were going down hill, that tandem would take off like a locomotive going downhill. Often, when we'd hit a big hill, I'd reach over and grab their rear rack. It was like the hand of God was giving me a shove. I must have been more stupid back then than today - inches away, one hand on my bike, the other holding on to a tandem.

Sheesh.... that was fun.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #26422
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
That is amazing. I just have a mountain bike, and it certainly is geared pretty low. Going down a hill in the highest gear and pedaling as fast as my 59 year old legs could go, I hit 26+ mph according to my bike computer. I only ever use the 7 highest gears, and where I ride I never even have to stand up going up the long, but not too steep hills. When I wear out the sprockets and chain, maybe I'll go to different gearing for some more speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post

Birdmove screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 09:17 AM
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #26423
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:

i tried Fastak when it was the craze back then, but it didn't seem like it did as good of a job holding more than just the rim tape on, and didn't leave much stickiness available for the rare occasion that i had a flat and needed to swap in a pre-glued spare,... i never rolled a sew-up, but a housemate of mine did, and i didn't want to wait until it happened to me.

once i discovered Continentals and the matching Conti glue, the only other flat i ever had was due to a wood screw i picked up in a sidewall that no tire would have survived. (this sucker actually dinged a chainstay as it turned past it.)
Contis weren't cheap, but they rode like they were made for a God (which i certainly wasn't, though i appreciated the ride!). after using them for a while i had so much confidence in them that i wouldn't change them out until i saw cord, even if they looked like cheese graters.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #26424
zouch
part-time wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
That is amazing. I just have a mountain bike, and it certainly is geared pretty low. Going down a hill in the lowest gear and pedaling as fast as my 59 year old legs could go, I hit 26+ mph according to my bike computer. I only ever use the 7 highest gears, and where I ride I never even have to stand up going up the long, but not too steep hills. When I wear out the sprockets and chain, maybe I'll go to different gearing for some more speed.
i think you might have your hi/lo gearing mixed up; just like on a motor vehicle, lo gears to go up hill, high gears coming down.

nonetheless, don't expect to see as high a speed descending on a MTB as you would on a proper road bike; the fatter/chunkier tires, flat bar and upright riding position are all working against you in wind and rolling resistance.

much to the chagrin o' many a squid, on a good road-racing bike on a steep twisty descent, i'm likely to be able to keep up with and pass sport motos, mostly due to the ability to brake harder and later before turns. knowing this always spooks me when i'm working Moto Ham at an event, since i'm fully aware of how fast a road bike can actually corner, and how hard it actually is to stay out of the way.

'02 GS Adv

zouch screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 12:43 PM Reason: cuz' i just can't spell until after i've hit send,...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #26425
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,392
Da 7700 b 53t

Kinda off topic, but I just slapped a new chain on the skinny bike, and noticed the 53 T ring was a bit hooked. I have DA 7700 cranks that are still in good shape, except the clear coat has cracked in places. I replaced the rings 3 or 4 years ago, and need the big again. Does anyone have one, or know anyone that does? TIA!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #26426
zouch
part-time wanderer

haven't got one, but am curious why you'd be wearing out the 53 so relatively fast; spending too much time on the 53t while on the large [edit: not "small", doh!] cog(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Kinda off topic, but I just slapped a new chain on the skinny bike, and noticed the 53 T ring was a bit hooked. I have DA 7700 cranks that are still in good shape, except the clear coat has cracked in places. I replaced the rings 3 or 4 years ago, and need the big again. Does anyone have one, or know anyone that does? TIA!

'02 GS Adv

zouch screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 01:06 PM
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #26427
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:

I don't remember the names, geez its been like 30 years, but the glue I used was like a rubber cement and stayed sticky/rubbery, while the other was red and dried to a fairly hard crust. the red stuff was better for hot inland conditions, but in cool coastal California I usually used the rubbery kind as you could slap a spare on the rim without regluing on the side of the road, as long as you took it easy on the turns. There was a different glue we used to glue the rim tape to the carcass.

I quit running tubulars when A) I was spending more time on my first generation mountain bike, and B) the clement factory had a big fire or something, and their classic setas became unobtanium. I'm reading now that Pirelli had bought them, and moved their production to Thailand, whihc no doubt contributed to their oblivion, but someone recently acquired the rights to the name, and is makign Clement tires again... in Thailand :-/
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #26428
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
haven't got one, but am curious why you'd be wearing out the 53 so relatively fast; spending too much time on the 53t while on the small cog(s)?
isn't the big ring where you BELONG when you're on the small rear cogs? its small+small (and big+big) that you want to avoid.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #26429
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
haven't got one, but am curious why you'd be wearing out the 53 so relatively fast; spending too much time on the 53t while on the small cog(s)?

I spend a lot of time in the big ring(When I'm fit), but think I'm pretty good at selecting the right ratio. Maybe some of the teeth are supposed to be pre curved for shifting or something, because overall it looks pretty good. It certainly shifts like buttah. Chains are easier to find anyway...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #26430
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,527
Shifters,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: