Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #856
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
Make sure you check the pressure rating on your corney. most are only rated to 35 PSI. that being said, I've gone over that before, but you should know before you take a risk. most likely it will just leak, YMMV
I didn't know that! I thought they were tested to 60.... :eek:

I did a quick search. Wiki says they will hold 130psi. Northern brewer says they are stamped, but most are about 120psi.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG

fifthcircle screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 11:40 AM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #857
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I didn't know that! I thought they were tested to 60.... :eek:

I did a quick search. Wiki says they will hold 130psi. Northern brewer says they are stamped, but most are about 120psi.

let me rephrase that. some kegs are rated at 35. you are correct. the older cornys that I have say do not exceed 35 psi on the side. The newer styles usually hold much more. again, YMMV. sorry for the misleading info.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #858
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I set it at 50psi, leave it 24hrs.
Or 30psi for 48hrs.

I serve most beers at 10psi (38deg). Stout at 7ish psi for now. I want a stout faucet! :cool:

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
you, sir, are a genius. this method worked just fine for me.

the only question now is, once you have a 5 gallons of beer on tap, how do you avoid becoming an alcoholic? the bottles were easier to dose.

i filled six bottles for traveling/gifts (using my picnic tap) and they were fine. later picked up a #2 stopper with a hole in it. will try that for the next batch of bottles.

of course i'm willing to share/trade with anyone in the nyc area.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #859
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
the only question now is, once you have a 5 gallons of beer on tap, how do you avoid becoming an alcoholic? the bottles were easier to dose.
This comes up a lot in homebrewing and it is a serious issue. I set a strict 2 pint a day limit. YMMV
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #860
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

I give it away. by the growler full. beer is a lot of fun to share.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #861
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
you are the first person to ever say that....probably the last. Glad it worked well for you.

I also agree with sharing the beer. Most of my buddies are more than happy to drink my beer I like to bottle a 6pk or so to store too.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #862
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 56
Not home brewing of course but an interesting project I have been working on this summer and fall.

We built a restaurant a few years ago for a client. Now he has decided to open a Brewery across the street.

I'm not involved with the brewing ( but would like to be) just the guy trying to tack it all together.

Tanks get hooked up this week, hopefully we can run s test batch....
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #863
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Very cool!

BLOG
Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #864
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:

i filled six bottles for traveling/gifts (using my picnic tap) and they were fine. later picked up a #2 stopper with a hole in it. will try that for the next batch of bottles.

of course i'm willing to share/trade with anyone in the nyc area.
Yeah, consumption increasing is kind of an issue... I try to keg beers that I want to drink more in moderation. That doesn't always work so well...
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #865
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,523
I am in Eastern NC and have 8 corny kegs to sell for $40 a piece. Discount to $37 per unit if you buy them all. Pm me If interested. I'll share an imperial stout with whoever comes by to pick them up. Happy brewing.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #866
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post
I am in Eastern NC and have 8 corny kegs to sell for $40 a piece. Discount to $37 per unit if you buy them all. Pm me If interested. I'll share an imperial stout with whoever comes by to pick them up. Happy brewing.
Damn you and your not being in CO.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #867
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
Yeah, consumption increasing is kind of an issue... I try to keg beers that I want to drink more in moderation. That doesn't always work so well...
Mine went down.

Tap's in the kitchen, use a smaller glass, you don't think about it, but getting up the energy to walk to the kitchen will slow your consumption way down, where I would grab a few bottles to save the trip, I've not yet found myself willing to fill multiple glasses.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #868
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Damn you and your not being in CO.
I can ship them. Let me know.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #869
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Mine went down.

Tap's in the kitchen, use a smaller glass, you don't think about it, but getting up the energy to walk to the kitchen will slow your consumption way down, where I would grab a few bottles to save the trip, I've not yet found myself willing to fill multiple glasses.
If I have a porter or a stout on tap, I drink a lot less. I just get too full too quickly. Now this summer when I brewed a honey ale, it was gone in about a week.

The other thing is if you have people over, a 5 gallon corny keg can go really quick. I only have one keg, so if it goes, I want to have something ready to keg right away. I botttle a six-pack of everything I keg so there's always a stash in the back room, and I do brew a batch specifically to bottle every two months or so. I'll be bottling a batch of porter next week - I always keep a lot of that on hand in bottles as it tends to be very popular amongst my friends.

I've been buying a lot of Boulevard beers as of late to get more bottles. Those and the Sierra Nevada bottles are my favorites for re-using for home brewing. They use the short necks with no brand stamping or embossing on the bottles.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #870
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

bought a plate filter and filtered an IPA last night. All I can say is that it was money well spent. no more weeks of waiting for beer to clear, no funky yeast flavors or trub left in kegs. No worrying about moving a keg and stirring up crap, only to have to wait for it to settle again. nope, just carb and drink. Crystal clear IPA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: