Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #886
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
No Chris - only 4 men after Sam was injured, of course we don't know about Philipe as yet, but it can't be too positive for this time?
I gotcha, I misread your first statement thinking you meant 4 riders before any of this happened. Seems to me that if Zanol is out and let's face it, an induced coma to riding competitively in a month would be a pretty miraculous recovery, that HRC running only 3 riders would be a risky maneuver and sort of putting all their eggs in the Helder Rodrigues basket. Certainly JCR and Pizzolito are support riders, so a Helder hiccup could be devastating to their effort.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #887
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Too Old, Im with you on that one Juan Carlos Salvatierra is the guy I would have chosen, him and Grabham.
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #888
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Excellent commentary, all. Most important, best wishes for Felipe and Sam!

Having ridden the routes they were on in California, and those in Dakar (and Morocco) for reference, I can say that our US riding is generally considerably more risky and technical. As well, the roadbooks here don't have dangers marked- they are as good or better in terms of directional layout, but they make no attempt to call out dangers.

That's a big difference for the frontrunners in Dakar- what I witnessed there was commitment beyond visibility, and total trust in the danger markings of the roadbook.

I'm a bit stunned they would be doing testing in December- no time for recovery, and not much for fixing anything substantive on the bike.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #889
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Excellent commentary, all. Most important, best wishes for Felipe and Sam!

Having ridden the routes they were on in California, and those in Dakar (and Morocco) for reference, I can say that our US riding is generally considerably more risky and technical. As well, the roadbooks here don't have dangers marked- they are as good or better in terms of directional layout, but they make no attempt to call out dangers.

That's a big difference for the frontrunners in Dakar- what I witnessed there was commitment beyond visibility, and total trust in the danger markings of the roadbook.

I'm a bit stunned they would be doing testing in December- no time for recovery, and not much for fixing anything substantive on the bike.
Everybody's doing it... Verhoeven in Morocco, Farres in Morocco, Speedbrain is testing now in Spain, etc... Seems to me the testing should be nothing more than warm up and becoming comfortable with the bike but in Sam's case, a loose nav getting tangled up in the wheel can happen no matter how leisurely the pace. I puts Honda in a real bind.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #890
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
in Sam's case, a loose nav getting tangled up in the wheel can happen no matter how leisurely the pace. I puts Honda in a real bind.
Are you speculating or confirming the earlier "little birdie"?

Regardless, speedy recovery to both riders involved.
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #891
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Another S.American

Everyone has been speculating race strategy in a cold and technical form as we seem to do in USA, CA, AU, and much of Europe. But there is so much more here in the bid for the SA market! And it is a market that responds as much or more to sentiment!

For example... in Peru, when their futbol team loses, the fans go crazy, mob the streets and break windows. So they bring out the water canons! When their futbol team WINS .... the fans go crazy, mob the streets and break windows. So they bring out the water canons!

Point is: Sales in South America are as much about feeling as they are about technical superiority.

Pizolito is great, but the rest of SA considers the Argentinians a bit "especial". Argentinians will circle the wagons around their guy... but the rest of SA ... not so much. For SA sales they NEED another S.American (non-Argentinian) hero!

YES! I know they need to make a good showing to sell, but drama, heart, and "he's one of us" is just as important here south of the border!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #892
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Having ridden the routes they were on in California, and those in Dakar (and Morocco) for reference, I can say that our US riding is generally considerably more risky and technical. As well, the roadbooks here don't have dangers marked- they are as good or better in terms of directional layout, but they make no attempt to call out dangers. That's a big difference for the frontrunners in Dakar- what I witnessed there was commitment beyond visibility, and total trust in the danger markings of the roadbook.
As best as I can tell, they were testing in the Stoddard Wells area, south of Barstow. There are no roadbook routes in that area as far as I know, though both Quinn and Johnny have asked me to make something there. And I'm not aware of Johnny using my roadbooks during this recent testing. So, my guess is they were not following any roadbook. Also, that area is torn up pretty well, with tons of whoops in some places. It's probably a good place to stress the bikes, which is what I thought they were doing.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #893
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
As best as I can tell, they were testing in the Stoddard Wells area, south of Barstow. There are no roadbook routes in that area as far as I know, though both Quinn and Johnny have asked me to make something there. And I'm not aware of Johnny using my roadbooks during this recent testing. So, my guess is they were not following any roadbook. Also, that area is torn up pretty well, with tons of whoops in some places. It's probably a good place to stress the bikes, which is what I thought they were doing.
What I find astounding is the information on the van in the back of this photo. It looks to me that HRC (assuming via EFI mapping) can dial up and down the engine power. Some interesting details as well. Look at the notation of the slimmer fairing, perhaps as a result of a different navi structure (pure speculation on my part), all interesting stuff.

39kw, 41kw, 43kw, 45kw, interesting to see how they are testing the different settings, I suppose for durability assuming HRC has the same quick turnaround they would in MX or GP.

I can't tell what the sheets are on the right of the van, but perhaps a short riding loop where a full roadbook is not necessary.

Click for full size photo to see what I'm talking about...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #894
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
I ride there all the time!!!
I was just there last weekend!
Get well soon boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baja Dad screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 10:39 AM
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #895
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:

Click for full size photo to see what I'm talking about...
Awesome.
They're still experimenting with different rear tanks, fairing and brake setups at this stage. That's more than a little shakedown week in sunny Cali. It shouldn't be a surprise, but taking on the multi-title winning KTM RR isn't an easy task.

One also has to put this into perspective compared to other endeavours like Bordone-Ferrari.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #896
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Awesome.
They're still experimenting with different rear tanks, fairing and brake setups at this stage. That's more than a little shakedown week in sunny Cali. It shouldn't be a surprise, but taking on the multi-title winning KTM RR isn't an easy task.

One also has to put this into perspective compared to other endeavours like Bordone-Ferrari.
Yes, but certainly HRC is no Bordone-Ferrari. I'm surprised the usually hush-hush Honda media handlers would allow such strategic resources to be shown, even in the background. It's an amazing glimpse into the "process" of it all. That aside, the rudimentary aspect does have me a little baffled. Hand written charts, hand written "highlights" as to what has changed. That's not quite the "Honda" that I recognize.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #897
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Yes, but certainly HRC is no Bordone-Ferrari. I'm surprised the usually hush-hush Honda media handlers would allow such strategic resources to be shown, even in the background. It's an amazing glimpse into the "process" of it all. That aside, the rudimentary aspect does have me a little baffled. Hand written charts, hand written "highlights" as to what has changed. That's not quite the "Honda" that I recognize.
Brilliant observation there on the photos Doyle!
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #898
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
re: handwritten notes. I'd say this is just working out in the field.

What am I looking at here? I'm guessing fuel system, 5 fuel tanks? Front top, left, right + rear left, right?

Yes I know, I need to get a life. Sue me.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #899
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
I can't tell what the sheets are on the right of the van, but perhaps a short riding loop where a full roadbook is not necessary.
The bike appears to have no roadbook holder, so no roadbook navigating!

The three upper-right papers on the van look like Google Earth imagery of typical desert terrain. The lower-right is a map of what may be their practice course. I took that fuzzy image and re-did it below in Google Earth following existing roads in the Stoddard area. Looks pretty close!

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #900
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
I took that fuzzy image and re-did it below in Google Earth following existing roads in the Stoddar area. Looks the same!

The first step is admitting you have a problem...