Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #151
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post

Bike sure does have some presence. I like it as it is beautiful.
It does seem to have some of that....much to the contrary of my earlier comments in the thread after seeing pictures. I think the cylinders in the way of highway pegs might dissuade some tourers a bit, but maybe that's cancelled out in the minds of those riders by the fairly neutral foot placement. It seems like a very well thought-out and way-cool bike. Hope Guzzi sells a bunch.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #152
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
I think the cylinders in the way of highway pegs might dissuade some tourers a bit

The fairing on a GL1800 keeps you from getting your feet out front - too wide. Lots of touring bikes can't accomodate forward pegs.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #153
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
The fairing on a GL1800 keeps you from getting your feet out front - too wide. Lots of touring bikes can't accomodate forward pegs.
Wouldn't the cylinder placement of the Guzzi be the issue, since they're so close to the rider? Never owned a GW, so no idea about those. A google search for Goldwing touring pegs yielded 166,000 results though...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #154
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Wouldn't the cylinder placement of the Guzzi be the issue, since they're so close to the rider? Never owned a GW, so no idea about those. A google search for Goldwing touring pegs yielded 166,000 results though...
I had a GL1800 - there may be a thousand companies offering highway pegs, but your legs would be spread so far apart you'd be ready to deliver a baby.

Same with my ST1300... there are kits to put flip-out pegs on the fairing nerfs, but who that might be comfortable for I have no idea.

Never looked into that option on any touring bike, especially ones that offered an adjustable seat like my FJR1300 or the ST.

My FXR-S had forward pegs and they were very comfortable.

My point is just that I don't think the lack of that option is going to keep many people from buying a Guzzi. They'll lose more sales due to the bike's perceived quirkiness and small-ish dealer network.

The bike itself is ready for prime time, all of them are since the Piaggio Group took the helm and tipped their wallet upside down.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #155
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,619
Also looks like the windshield is low-ish. The test rider appeared to be looking over it, not through it, as he rode along.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #156
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 708
It'll be a lot like Triumph in the US. When the wankers get done with every reason NOT to buy on they say "............but it ain't like Harley. I wouldn't ever buy one 'cause there's no dealers. Heck, I can get a T-shirt every 50 miles all across amurica on my hog."

The 1400 looks mighty fine to me.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #157
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
The 1400 looks mighty fine to me.

it's getting some excellent online press too
Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #158
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

My point is just that I don't think the lack of that option is going to keep many people from buying a Guzzi. They'll lose more sales due to the bike's perceived quirkiness and small-ish dealer network.

I'm certain your assertions are absolutely right. I'm just not sure Guzzi will be pulling riders with this bike who aren't already cruiser riders (and tourers). My viewpoint may be skewed by living around and riding with Harley enthusiasts. Two of my riding friends are high-mileage HD guys...one on an Electra Glide, the other a Heritage Softail. I've ridden on several long tours with the softail guy, including a 4000 mile, seven-day tour out west this past summer. He's no poser, but I don't think he rides three blocks to fuel up without his feet on the highway pegs.

I hope Piaggio sells a bunch of them. I really do. As a side note, I drove 250 miles each way today to Milan IL at the invitation of a Guzzi enthusiast, to ride his Griso and Norge in the freezing cold today....man, what great bikes.

And a great guy to let a stranger from the interwebs hop on those beauties. 8 hours of driving for 90 minutes of riding in 38 degree weather, and I still loved them.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #159
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
To me the MG California 1400 looks like a Road King that's been tarted up by an Italian designer. Not bad to look at probably pretty nice ride. The only reservation I would have is the limited dealer network. If Piaggio could expand their dealer network they could probably do well with their products here in the US.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #160
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'monjello Jackson View Post
To me the MG California 1400 looks like a Road King that's been tarted up by an Italian designer. Not bad to look at probably pretty nice ride. The only reservation I would have is the limited dealer network. If Piaggio could expand their dealer network they could probably do well with their products here in the US.
I kind of agree with your angle, but for me it like both bikes had a similar design path, and then one art of engineers said "hey let's make a bike that has definite roots back to Harley's from decades ago" and the other said "yeah but let's make it sexy and cool instead of just cool"

Dealer network is an issue. Especially since for every awesome dealer like Europa Macchina in central PA or Rose Farm Classics in Chicago or Moto International in Seattle you've got three jokers that don't know their tuckus from their tennis racket. On the other hand they are extremely easy to work on and reliable. A great Indy shop, like Crolli in Erie, PA, has never had any problems for me they couldn't figure out. The good dealers seem to be reliably spread out too, so that there is one close everywhere.

It he dealer issue is a sacrifice, but having a bike that's so unique is really a joy. I've had five Harley's and customized them all, only to rise up to a bike night and almost immediately spot one out that from ten feet away looks like my exact bike. I absolutely LOVED my 2007 road king custom. I spent way too much money customizing it in a direction I was sure would be unique. Went to bike nights, read magazines, etc. then I take it to a big rally and there are a dozen that look just like mine. It wasn't that big a deal, but it was a little annoying. I should have been more creative lol. I hindsight I recognize it wasn't Harley's problem but bit was mine. See how could I expect to make something unique when all I did was shop from the same catalog or two that a million other guys did.

Anyway with a guzzi you'll go to a guzzi group and see bikes like yours too, but the camaraderie makes up for it, and the little touches you make will really stand out and be appreciated.

This California looks awesome. If I was going back to cruiser land for me it would be between this and a triumph thunderbird.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #161
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,638
very simple for me, WANT, no money but WANT bad, anyone need a kidney. That has to be the most beautiful MG ever made.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #162
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Dealer

I'm 550 miles from a good dealer and all Guzzi's require regular maintenance. That cost money. I'm not rich. How about the new CB1100 for way less money and not near as maintenance intensive.

oldhippie1 screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 01:17 PM Reason: made mistake
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #163
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I'm 550 miles from a good dealer and all Guzzi's require regular maintenance. That cost money. I'm not rich. How about the new CB1100 for way less money and not near as maintenance intensive.
Had the new CB1100 been available here in the US when I bought my RK I might not have bought the RK
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #164
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I really like the bike, I've always liked the looks of the MG, do I think it will lure away Harley riders no. I don't think any bike would cause a lot of Harley riders to switch brands and the people who want to own a Harley aren't going to change their mind either at least that's my insight into the Harley world. I think it would appeal more to those that wont buy a Harley, those that want a big cruiser/tourer but wouldn't be got dead on a Harley. I don't see many MG on the road, but I see no reason why the 1400 wont sell well here with the small numbers they are looking to sell here.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #165
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
All bikes require maintenance. I'm sure the interval on the new Cal 1400 will be at least 5000 miles. Guzzis only require changing engine, transmission, and final drive fluids, plus a valve check. And the valves are screw and locknut adjustments that are right out in front of your nose. There are very few bikes that are easier to perform the periodic maintenance on than a Guzzi. If you don't want to do it yourself (or have an independent shop do it), then yes, the 550 miles matters for service. But if you do it yourself, it's inconsequential.

I can easily see someone preferring the CB1100 over the Cal1400. They're different bikes and both very appealing to me, but I doubt Honda's I-4 will be any easier to service than the Guzzi. Especially when it comes time to do the valves. The Honda may only have one hole to change fluids in, but it also has a chain drive to maintain.
davevv is online now   Reply With Quote