Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #15451
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
I would think if you plan on doing any sort of decent distance you'd want at least the IMS 4.6 gal tank. Its the tank I leave on my bike most of the time. (come to think of it, i have not had the stock tank on there since i put the 4.6 on it) I also have the 6.6 acerbis.

I haven to checked my range with the 4.6 and the new TM40 i put on a few weeks back, but I would get about 160 miles range on the 4.6 and stock carb.
I have been thinking of getting the big acerbis but does a rad fan still fit with it on? I still cannot find a good solution though for the front turn signals. I want them on (or any DOT approved ones) to keep the Cali CHP happy.

Just seems a lot easier to buy the 4ish gallon clarke tank...

medisyn screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 04:49 PM
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #15452
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I have been thinking of getting the big acerbis but does a rad fan still fit with it on? I still cannot find a good solution though for the front turn signals. I want them on (or any DOT approved ones) to keep the Cali CHP happy.

From what I understand the SPAL 4" will fit with the Acerbis, but will not with the IMS 7 gallon.

As far as turn signals, SOMEONE did some LED turn signals recessed into their brush guards, looked bad ass.

Maybe someone remembers who it was or had a link.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #15453
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 635
Quote:

Not sure if its legal where you are, but sports bike flush mount fairing indicators mounted to each side of the headlight fairing work well. Also they are out of harms way when you crash.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #15454
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
The word from IMS is that the XR tanks, especially the old natural colours were 'not up to standard' and they eventually replaced them a few years ago with a different material that is stronger. I was told this by IMS only recently when questioning why their natural tank used to be a different shade when the Baja guys used them.
I have to say, the IMS 4.7 that came on my xrl is one tough, solid fitting sob. Its taken some hard shots over its 8 year life and the damn thing is indestructible.....its barely even scratched. And it fits absolutley ROCK solid, and has never moved an inch from an impact.
Personally if I was buying another tank, I'd spend the extra for an IMS......I've been that impressed with mine
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #15455
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
I have been thinking of getting the big acerbis but does a rad fan still fit with it on?
I have a KTM fan mounted with the big Acerbis. No issues
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #15456
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Needs to get rid of the elephant nose.. =)

This is the first time I've seen somebody cut the skid plate so the stator cover can be taken off. Sooo many times I wish I had mine cut. Just makes doing the valves that much easier.
I ran the sumo fenders but they break off when I hit the sand bank then you get to run 800 miles home from Las Vagas. See

In ten 11+ year I have run my xr650r I have tried to do the valves every 800 to 1000 miles and oil. at 40k+ with out a rebuilt from new. if you are going to do some thing take the time to do it Right

BigNastybrp screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 05:34 PM
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #15457
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
Thanks for the input. Does that TM40 make it easier to start.
Most say yes, but I didn't have an issue with the stock carb.

Every once and awhile I still have a bear of a time starting it but that's normally with elevation different than what it's jetting for and tip-over or stall under high load.

It's normally a 1-2 kick start.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 09:31 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #15458
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
Thanks for the input. Does that TM40 make it easier to start.
That is a HUGE yes on my part!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #15459
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,273
Quote:
That is a HUGE yes on my part!

I'd think so too, you get to squirt a little fuel with a pumper, then start it. I have TM40's on another bike and they're great, still get 42 or so on the road and 30 mpg in the dirt. One TM40 per 575cc cylinder.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #15460
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'd think so too, you get to squirt a little fuel with a pumper, then start it. I have TM40's on another bike and they're great, still get 42 or so on the road and 30 mpg in the dirt. One TM40 per 575cc cylinder.
Honestly its made me super lazy.

When the bike is cold i'll pull the choke (no squirts), pull in the decomp, clear it out with a few strokes, get the bike so it will kick through with the auto-decomp, kick it through once or twice and it till fire up and purrrrrrrrrrr

Does anyone have any logic about how the auto deomp works? It seems like sometimes mine will only be auto decomp, and then sometimes I go to kick it and its like not there and its full compression? So if i actuate the decomp i can kick it through a time or two and then the auto decomp will work again.

Its been a mystery to me since i've gotten this bike (i'm a two stroke guy at heart, but actually contemplating buying a 4stroke as a dez bike too)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #15461
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

I run the Mikuni HRS 42mm Carburetor it has more circuts and jet in easy, I love it.
the tm40 is for a two stroke but lots of the guys run them. I found it cheaper to get the hrs42 off ebay for $200 and the cables from motion pro $100. or the fcr41 off a crf250 you can get them cheap as well. Bert
Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #15462
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
I run the Mikuni HRS 42mm Carburetor it has more circuts and jet in easy, I love it.
the tm40 is for a two stroke but lots of the guys run them. I found it cheaper to get the hrs42 off ebay for $200 and the cables from motion pro $100. or the fcr41 off a crf250 you can get them cheap as well. Bert
Kind of half true. there is a 2 stroke version of the TM40 available that was built for snow machine use. This version of the carb does not have an accelerator pump. But its not the same carb we use for our bikes.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #15463
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Quote:
Kind of half true. there is a 2 stroke version of the TM40 available that was built for snow machine use. This version of the carb does not have an accelerator pump. But its not the same carb we use for our bikes.
good to know thanks thats the one on my work bench for sell cheap
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #15464
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I have to say, the IMS 4.7 that came on my xrl is one tough, solid fitting sob. Its taken some hard shots over its 8 year life and the damn thing is indestructible.....its barely even scratched. And it fits absolutley ROCK solid, and has never moved an inch from an impact.
Personally if I was buying another tank, I'd spend the extra for an IMS......I've been that impressed with mine
Does the IMS fit with the spal/ktm fan?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #15465
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Where did you guys get your TM40? I see Sudco has them. Was the jetting close when you bought it? looks like they are selling for around $500.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote