Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
interesting location I wonder if the mount would work for the Denali lights? You have a link>?
Should work. but that is on the 13 model not the 12.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
I have a '13 F8

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
TFB43
Adventurer

Quote:
I have a '13 F8

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
no worries I would recommend a set of rigid lights. They are super bright and take less power. But, factory is clean.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
interesting location I wonder if the mount would work for the Denali lights? You have a link>?
Here ya go! This is the link for the lights themselves (x2)

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=73232

The other two items (brackets and wiring)

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=125610
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=125611

I don't see why the Rigid's won't work, but I'm thinking of going for a slightly cheaper option ($20):

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=122011

These would mount up right where the existing mounting bolts are for the headlights and would seem to fit nearly anything. The only concern I have is that the BMW headlight guard is about 1" wider on both sides so may be a bit in the way of the various aux. lights.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #20
MonsterJ OP
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Problem is Patrick, those put the lights directly in front of turn signals.

I'm wondering if someone makes a mount that will clamp to Adventure Spec crash bars.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #21
MonsterJ OP
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ View Post
I'm wondering if someone makes a mount that will clamp to Adventure Spec crash bars.
Just ordered the Techmount light mounts.... let's see if they work!

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
TFB43
Adventurer

here is the fisch for the 2013 F800GS aux lights. Because of the new controls on the 13 you can't use the wiring kit on the 12. There is an advantage to not having to wire up a fuse box with relay. It is closer to a plug-n-play kit if you look at the wiring harness. I would like to know if there is an extra plug along side the accessory plug on the 13.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
soph9
Bike Addict

there is not another plug near the accessory plug on the '13 unless you added one....mounting aux lights off the headlight won't work...as it was said they would block the signals now. We thought about mounting them somehow on the inside of our Altrider crash bars but its a tight fit.

soph9 screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 12:45 PM
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
There are some interesting differences I noticed on the 2013s while I was sitting at the dealer:

• The rear brake reservoir moved forward, right above the regulator. Definitely a less vulnerable location even without any sort of guard on it. I think they moved the charcoal canister as well, but I'm not sure where.
  • The regulator is now mounted facing downwards instead of out, and may be slightly more inboard of the frame rails.
  • The hose from the handlebar to the ABS block appears to be a little bit longer. Looks like you could probably mount a decent size bar riser without having to change it out or adjust it in any way. The rest of the cables looked pretty much the same length though.
  • Mentioned before but the bodywork is a lot different. The radiator shrouds seem a lot shorter/smaller and less "bloated" than the older style (or maybe I have a touch of BMW Acquisition Syndrome). The beak definitely looks shorter too.
  • The control pods on the handlebars are different, plus they have more buttons for ESA and stuff. I like the old style better personally.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 280
I have this switch on my 2012 F800GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB43 View Post

here is the fisch for the 2013 F800GS aux lights. Because of the new controls on the 13 you can't use the wiring kit on the 12. There is an advantage to not having to wire up a fuse box with relay. It is closer to a plug-n-play kit if you look at the wiring harness. I would like to know if there is an extra plug along side the accessory plug on the 13.
this http://f800depot.com/bmw-aux-lighting-switch.html should allow you to used the harness, it replaces the back cover of the left hand switch assembly and fits both f650/800GS Twins, it is stock on the R1200GS ADV. Now the questions I have is since the plastics are different on the 13's will these brackets work with the older bikes and where do you source the power from?
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post
There are some interesting differences I noticed on the 2013s while I was sitting at the dealer:

• The rear brake reservoir moved forward, right above the regulator. Definitely a less vulnerable location even without any sort of guard on it. I think they moved the charcoal canister as well, but I'm not sure where.
  • The regulator is now mounted facing downwards instead of out, and may be slightly more inboard of the frame rails.
  • The hose from the handlebar to the ABS block appears to be a little bit longer. Looks like you could probably mount a decent size bar riser without having to change it out or adjust it in any way. The rest of the cables looked pretty much the same length though.
  • Mentioned before but the bodywork is a lot different. The radiator shrouds seem a lot shorter/smaller and less "bloated" than the older style (or maybe I have a touch of BMW Acquisition Syndrome). The beak definitely looks shorter too.
  • The control pods on the handlebars are different, plus they have more buttons for ESA and stuff. I like the old style better personally.
Yes and don't forget the front reservoir is hard mounted now too.

If you want to mimic the rear reservoir placement (and you don't have the charcoal canister) you can do this:

It's just a (free they usually have them kicking around) bicycle seatpost reflector mount. I think it was the 28.0 size (?).
I used the hardware that came with it too. It's tuck in there perfectly. No guard needed. I've been running it there for just about a year now.
BMW must've seen the pics . No actually I think I saw someone else do it first with a more elaborate bracket and I got to thinkin...

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 01:43 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I actually test road both bikes and bought a 2012 the main diff was the wider fairings around the gas on the 13 and the 13 wieghts about 40lbs more. I love the bike over all only have 2000 mile on itt but i am selling mine (pm me if interested) i really didnt knotice much of a diff
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
I actually test road both bikes and bought a 2012 the main diff was the wider fairings around the gas on the 13 and the 13 wieghts about 40lbs more. I love the bike over all only have 2000 mile on itt but i am selling mine (pm me if interested) i really didnt knotice much of a diff
I have been on both as well and the ESA on the '13 makes a difference and the bike looks a lot leaner..
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #29
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB43 View Post
It actually has aux light mounts. This is the first year a factory aux light is available from BMW for the 800gs. Not sure if cab be retrofitted.
What do you mean it has aux mounts? I have a 2013 and have had to mount to the headlight mount. I made a l bracket. Seems to work so far.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #30
soph9
Bike Addict

mounting on the headlamp will interfere with our signals....before we used a mount in the beak and I can not find a bike specific mount for our Denali lights for the '13 yet