Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Ive ordered one of these off fleabay..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Cars-...#ht_5537wt_907

No reason i chose this one. At around $50, worth a gamble…

I'll let you know how it turns out for me..

GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,472
i remember reading about a professional theifs confessions i think on here, and he said, thats what he first looks for, going to work on teh bike removing anything he could find like these, your confined in hiding them with a gps tracker too as you have to be ontop, has to have power, so they can follow the leads.

ive always thought of installing remote operated tear gas bombs and smoke flairs hidden inside the frame
Storm Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
i remember reading about a professional theifs confessions i think on here
ive always thought of installing remote operated tear gas bombs and smoke flairs hidden inside the frame
here's the ex-bike thief thread. makes for an interesting read.

i like the tear gas bombs and smoke flares. they'd look pretty cool if they accidentally triggered while riding, would look like a monster burnout with a bit of luck.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
i remember reading about a professional theifs confessions i think on here, and he said, thats what he first looks for, going to work on teh bike removing anything he could find like these, your confined in hiding them with a gps tracker too as you have to be ontop, has to have power, so they can follow the leads.

I agree, it's no guarantee but at least it gives me a glimmer of hope if I ever get another bike stolen. I agree it would need to be up high for GPS but I think it would work using GPRS ANYWHERE on the bike as it would operate like a mobile phonbe I would imagine? If I hide it well enough and don;t advertise on the bike that it has a GPS tracker (or maybe I should advertise that fact??) then I think my chances are 50/50 it will help me and for $50, it's worth it i think...
Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
JAWracing
n00bsticle

Oddometer: 16
Is a GPS tracker worth doing?

Hi guys n gals,

My two cents worth (oops, round that up to five cents ), as bike owners, you should do whatever it takes to make your prized possession harder to take. This includes using a decent chain/lock to lock it to something else secure. You want to slow down the offender, which increases the time that they are there trying to take it, and might require them to make more noise to release your baby. Use an audible disc lock, so any sort of movement, will cause it to make noise, and at 3am, whilst we are dreaming of crossing the Simpson, this noise might be enough to wake you up and save the bike.

Do not assume that bike theives are that clever all the time, and will look for a GPS tracker. Bike stealing rings will "engage" muscle to break in and steal, whilst those with the brains are safe and preparing to strip / deactivate a bike once in a safer location, sometimes in underground car park type areas where phone/GPS signal is non-existent, so they can start the dismantling/rebirthing process.

The other type to take it will be those opportunistic, who see you wash your bike and park it out the front unattended, or leave the garage door wide open, advertising your toys n tools.

In closing, do whatever it takes to make it harder to take your bike, and do whatever it takes to avoid sleepless nights with worry.

Was this more than five cents worth..?? Hmmmmmmm
Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
dye bomb?

it works for the banks, how abut a dye bomb?
cover the offenders with chilli/dye etc
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #22
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,153
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #23
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,761
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
it works for the banks, how abut a dye bomb?
cover the offenders with chilli/dye etc
Chilli bomb, under the seat, shooting directly upwards?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
Twomsta
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Coverage?

I see the thread has gone quite over the past few months, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could clarify the coverage aspect of these trackers.

From what I understand, most of these cheaper compact gps trackers use GPS, GPRS and GSM networks and send off the coordinates either by preset time intervals or by being contacted by another phone. If the physical location of the tracking device is outside of the GPRS/GSM coverage network I assume that it won't receive the incoming call or message and will therefore fail to send out the coordinates...is this right?

If so, why would these devices be any better than say a smart phone that relies on the same networks (GPS/GPRS/GSM) and a tracking app such as life360?

I'm trying to decide what to take with me on my trip round Australia, but I don't particularly want to outlay the money for specific gps tracking plans such as those that are required for the SPOT trackers.

Cheers!
Twomsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
another hiding idea.......

install a dummy gps tracker thats sort of easy to find, even make it look wired in..... then put the real one in a harder to find spot.

should increase the chances of even fooling the smarter ones!!

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, ive got my GPS tracker delivered but haven't installed it yet because well, I've been too lazy :)

Stay tuned, hopefully over the next few weeks I'll fit it and do a full review for you guys…
Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
marlboroughlad
back in nz

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
If so, why would these devices be any better than say a smart phone that relies on the same networks (GPS/GPRS/GSM) and a tracking app such as life360?
?

You wanna hard wire a smart phone to your bike or just give the thief yours so you can catch him later? Obviously I missed something there?
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
Twomsta
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post
?

You wanna hard wire a smart phone to your bike or just give the thief yours so you can catch him later? Obviously I missed something there?
No I don't want to hard wire my smart phone into my bike. As I said, I'm doing a trip round Oz and am looking into GPS trackers so that friends and family can keep track of my movements, nothing to do with bike theft at all.

Anyone out there know the advantages of these gps trackers vs a smart phone with a track app? (FOR TRAVEL USE, NOT THEFT).

Thanks
Twomsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Believe it or not, my SPOT tracker got stolen with my bike :( If they ever turned it on, i'd know where they are but they never did.

I realise the limitations of a SIM card based GPS tracker compared to a SPOT tracker (satellite) but at less then $50 and no subscription fee I think its worth doing. The GPS tracker I bought simply does best guess at its longitude and latitude based on satellite (and if it cant pick them up), using mobile phone towers etc.. Basically you send the tracker an SMS and all it does it send an SMS back with the longitude and latitude. It required a SIM card obviously so you'd need to buy a card with no expiry date etc..

Obviously the whole system only works if the bike is within mobile phone coverage area. As my bike is my daily ride, I am working on the theory that i'd know its been stolen within a couple of hours and I am also assuming that whoever stole it would probably quickly store it in a garage somewhere in which case i might have a chance. All good in theory…..
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #30
marlboroughlad
back in nz

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomsta View Post
No I don't want to hard wire my smart phone into my bike. As I said, I'm doing a trip round Oz and am looking into GPS trackers so that friends and family can keep track of my movements, nothing to do with bike theft at all.
Yeah, I read the bit about around Oz, but your reasons weren't mentioned. The discussion up till that point had been about theft. My mistake.

Quote:
Unless I have missed something, some time in the past 12 months Telstra has changed the expiry on pre-paid credit to 30 days.
Numbers, I think you can get different kinds of prepay? AFAIK all my credit is 12 months but you do have to buy atleast certain amount each time. Maybe clear it up at a Telstra shop. My Defy is working good (used it on fri) the last time I put credit on that sim card was back in June.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote