Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Bump on my last question

If it were me, I would check it for cracks, straightness, diameter, out of round as well as the bushing condition.
Did you crash it? Does it look like the spot is from wear or a buildup of something? Does it buff out with fine sandpaper?
If it checked out, I would reuse it, but that is just me. Or at least have a reputable suspension shop check it out.
A new one is $528 from maxbmw if you want piece of mind, but apparently it has been updated, and you need to change both.

greenthumb screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 12:51 AM
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Pomo OP
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Well my right side fork seal is leaking again, but not nearly as bad as before. I was at the dealer getting my tank replaced and the dealer speculated that it's just because I'm riding in sand so often. Just gonna try to clean it out and see if it holds up. I might go with the dealer's suggestion to get some neoprene boots for the forks.

My Hyperpro rear shock is also leaking now as well. Not sure how long that's been going on. I've had a Mudsling installed for over a year so it's probably not sand. May just be due for a rebuild.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Bump on my last question

I just changed my fork oil and my chrome is the same. The marks you see are the bearing material that has transferred onto the chrome. The fork has an upper and lower bearing so the chrome rubs on the bronze (?) bushing as it does it's job. I'd bet that area is in contact the most during a normal ride. This happens on aircraft struts all the time. You can polish it smooth if needed but no need to remove the stain as it will be back anyway. Despite what most people think, chrome is quite porous. The bearing material works its way in. Inspect for sharp edges or cracks but don't worry too much about it.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
So, thanks for the write up, I used it this weekend, but had some questions for all you veteran riders out there.

First off, this was about the 4th fork seal job I have ever done, and it was much easier than any other bike I have ever done.

The culprit:

The issue:

This is on the leg that was leaking. I cannot feel anything, no change in resistance, no edges, uneven surfaces, nothing.

It looks like the chrome is rubbed off.

Something I should be worried about?

Bike has about 21,500 miles on it. The leg was only leaking for about 200 miles and for about a week. It still had lots of oil In it, and it was still producing oil while riding around and sitting, so it wasn't dry.

By the way, I used the 45mm Marzocchi Kit from www.dualsportarmory.com and it fit like a charm. Exact same size seals as the stock ones.

Ryan
Its hard to tell in these pictures if the chrome is worn, or if the seal has run dry and burned itself onto the chrome. Any chance you can supply a few more pictures in sunlight?
If the chrome is peeling it can be due to a few things, either the lower bushing is shot and it has metal to metal contact when the forks are compressed or due to road grime (corrosive) like road salt etc. that happened to sit for a while after drying.
If the chrome is worn, the seals will not last more than a few thousand miles if even that.

I have a set of "DLC" coated lowers in stock I can get rid, PM me for more details....
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Is this the SKF Seals you used: http://www.ridejbi.com/skf-fork-seals ?

They are supposed to reduce friction with 20%. I also read in a swedish magazine that BMW has changed to seals with lower friction on later models (2013?).

Any thoughts on that? Could it be worth the effort to change seals to the SKF?
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
Pomo OP
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
Is this the SKF Seals you used: http://www.ridejbi.com/skf-fork-seals ?
I used part # KIT45M seals (45mm Marzocchi). These should work for 2009-2012 bikes. The 2013+ bikes AFAIK are now using 43mm WP.

Quote:
They are supposed to reduce friction with 20%. I also read in a swedish magazine that BMW has changed to seals with lower friction on later models (2013?).
I don't know if I believe that. My forks feel no different than they did before, they just don't leak oil anymore. Actually one leg is leaking, but it's probably a result of riding so much in deep sand. I had no issues until I moved to the desert.

Quote:
Any thoughts on that? Could it be worth the effort to change seals to the SKF?
I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I didn't perceive any difference in quality handling the SFKs versus the stock seals. The SFKs just happened to be the cheaper option.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
Reaver
Outta Here

Thanks for the write up!

I threw Hyperpro springs in while I was at it.

n00b Tips:

Pay attention how the ABS wire routes on the bottom of the LH fork so as not to destroy it if you bottom the forks.

I did as Indy said - lunch bag and left the cartridge in.

As for the seal tool, I was too anxious to go get one. I unscrewed the bulb end off my double D flashlight and cut one side so I could slip it over the fork tube. Worked perfect to install the lower bearing then seal. Low forces so no prob.

SKF Fitment chart: http://www.jwtimports.com.au/downloa...e-SKF-ONLY.pdf

SKF now has Heavy Duty seals. See the chart. KIT45MHD. That's what I ordered but the box didn't say specifically HD so who knows. My shocks weren't leaking but at 48K kms, why not. It started with the spring swap.

Canadian Source Eh?

I called around to the SKF suppliers in Canada and all I got was that the kit was proprietary and they wouldn't order it. I had to go to my Dealer.

F that. Get'm off Ebay from Fellow Canadian Rod. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261070493190...039606&vxp=mtr Quick and friendly and only $40/set US (X2) but with free shipping and no tax so not bad.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
F800GSMAX
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Correct seals size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post

Edit (31/10/2012): The seal sizes I listed below are correct for my bike, which is a 2009. It appears that the forks on 2013+ models may be different (43mm WPs instead of the 45mm Marzocchis).

I opted for SFK seals from Dual Sport Armory. The size of the stock seals is 45 x 58 x 14. Stamped on the inside of the dust seal are the measurements 45 x 58.4 x 4.0 x 14. The SFK kit has the same dimensions, save what I guess is the overall height (11mm for SFK versus 14 for the NOK). The lip insertion depth appears to be the same on both seals (~4mm).

Please, somebody clarify...

What is the correct seal size must be used? I have F800GS 2008. Is it 45x58x14 or 45x58x11?

I am considering to order SKF (not SFK) fork and dust seals. Now, I am confused... I need to know what is the correct dimension of the seals to specify in my order.
Thanks, :)
F800GSMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800GSMAX View Post

Please, somebody clarify...

What is the correct seal size must be used? I have F800GS 2008. Is it 45x58x14 or 45x58x11?

I am considering to order SKF (not SFK) fork and dust seals. Now, I am confused... I need to know what is the correct dimension of the seals to specify in my order.
Thanks, :)

Just order the SKF KIT 45M or 45MHD. I have 20K kms on my bike with this kit, no problems.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
F800GSMAX
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Just order the SKF KIT 45M or 45MHD. I have 20K kms on my bike with this kit, no problems.
Thanks,

What is the difference between 45M and 45MHD?
F800GSMAX is offline   Reply With Quote