ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
CordR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Random Phoenix Area Day Trips for a Canadian

Hi there,

If you're in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, you may have heard of/seen an influx of fellow Canadians purchasing homes for their getaways.

I'm in Vancouver, BC. It rains about 9 months of the year. And it's cold. Beautiful, but cold.....well, not compared to the rest of the country, but compared to AZ.

And while I'm not necessarily one of those Cdn's that can afford a second home, some of my friends/colleagues/clients can.

Last year, I didn't get to pull the trigger on keeping my bike down there for the winter/spring but I thought it would have been a good idea. This year, yet another person I know just bought a house, so I have the ability to store my bike in someone's garage. I figure that making a weekend trip every 4-6 weeks would give me far more enjoyable dualsport riding than keeping my bike here and hoping for an ideal day.

I have a KTM 690 that I would store there (keeping the FJR at home which I am ok with riding in the rain).

So....my lengthy preamble is all to ask about recommendations for novice-to-intermediate dualsport day rides that would start/end from the Phoenix area. I'd even consider doing overnighters, whether camping or hoteling.

I don't have a ton of desert experience, but am looking to get more dirt time on my bike.

If I can get my bike shipped down there, I'm looking to take some cheap flights from Bellingham, WA (about 70 minutes from my place in Vancouver) on a Friday and return on Sunday, sometimes a Monday.

If I get the chance to hook up with others, that's great, but I can go solo as well.

Any recommendations for routes or must-do's is appreciated.

Thanks and hope to see you on the trails sometime in early 2013.

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote