User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
ZR1000A1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Question about R1200GS clutch

I have R1200GS 2012 with just 1000 miles on it. This is the first bike with a dry clutch I've ever owned. The bike runs great, no issues. I just noticed one thing and not sure if it's normal or not. After the bike cools down, the first time I squeeze a clutch lever there is a noise, more like a loud click coming out off a clutch basket, seems like something got stuck and released. It only happens in this situation: ride -> cool down -> first time lever squeezed. Never when the bike is hot and never on the second, third, etc. squeeze. Should I be worry about it?
ZR1000A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1000A1 View Post
I have R1200GS 2012 with just 1000 miles on it. This is the first bike with a dry clutch I've ever owned. The bike runs great, no issues. I just noticed one thing and not sure if it's normal or not. After the bike cools down, the first time I squeeze a clutch lever there is a noise, more like a loud click coming out off a clutch basket, seems like something got stuck and released. It only happens in this situation: ride -> cool down -> first time lever squeezed. Never when the bike is hot and never on the second, third, etc. squeeze. Should I be worry about it?
Hello ZR1000A1, I am new to the GSA and BMW too. I dont have any information for you but I am sure some of the fellow owners will have a clue. I do know that the GS or in my case GSA is sure a different ride compared to what I am used to and the clutch takes some getting used to for me, mine seems a bit grabby. It may need a few miles to settle in. I put a dual friction clutch disc in my old hot rod chevy and first time I parked it the disc froze to flywheel. best wishes. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
My 07 does the same thing. Always has. 55k. I think its normal..

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
ZR1000A1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdrms View Post
My 07 does the same thing. Always has. 55k. I think its normal..
Thanks. Good to know that I'm not alone and that it's not a sign of a bigger clutch problem. Just wonder what may cause this behaviour?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Hey ZR1000, I rode my bike today and got a few more miles on it, it is strange in comparison to a wet clutch, which is what I am used to. Mine makes a clunking noise kind of like slack in driveline when engaging and disengaging but I only notice it in 1st gear. I have not heard a noise as you describe. Hope its normal for us both. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,097
I've never heard it on my 07 GSA or my 11GSA. The 'clunkiness' is normal for these transmissions. They all do that...

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
ZR1000A1 OP
Adventurer

Thanks guy! Just to make it clear: I don't have any issues with a clutch operation while riding the bike. It's just a weird "clunk" sound coming out off a clutch basket. Happens only once (first time I squeeze a clutch lever) after the bike cools down. I wonder if it's normal (means, many others experience the same "clunk") or it's a sign of a problem? The clunk occurs at the very beginnig of the clutch lever traveling, just "buh!", like something were stuck together and got loose.
I could try to ask my dealer, but I know their reaction in advance: "It's normal!". That's the dealer's usual reply as long as a bike still running... Plus, it'd be hard for me to demonstrate the issue to them, because I need to ride the bike to the dealership, wait 2 - 3 hours till the engine cools down completely and then I have just one chance to replicate the "clunk" sound. Because, it never happens on a second, third, etc. attempt.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Me too

Have an 07 with 34000 mi on the clock. Mine does the same thing, think it's normal. Just for the record, I noticed my 97 K1200rs do the same when I had it.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote