Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #256
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by One67 View Post
Yes, that's true.

Because when you're sitting down, all you can think about is how sore your arse is.

It's like sitting on a piece of 3x2.
So, better than a DR650 then.

Cool.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #257
jimbo74
Trail Trundler

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
I have seen written in several places that the Freeride is a bike that only really works when you ride standing up. Any comments from owners?
In theory, yes. But that is true of all dirt bikes.
In the Freerides case, yes, but in reality, it's not as good as my my Husky 450. The reason for this is that the pegs are quite a fair way back and the handle bars are low. Therefore, you are leaning forward a lot as opposed to standing upright with knees slightly bent, as we should. It needs bar raisers to be a good stand up bike (and I'm relatively short at 176cm). It's a good sit down bike. The best stand up bike I've ever ridden was a DRZ 400. (Did Cairns to Cape York over 8 days and stood up more than I sat down).
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #258
Ian43ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
How about a freeride / trials bike ride. Anyone know a good place?
Ian43ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #259
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
I have seen written in several places that the Freeride is a bike that only really works when you ride standing up. Any comments from owners?
It's far more practical to sit down on than a trials bike. You can do both but the style of bike it is just promotes standing.
pete40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #260
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,741

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 05:51 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #261
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian43ktm View Post
How about a freeride / trials bike ride. Anyone know a good place?
I'm keen

Going up to Beerwah state forest tomorrow for my first good ride on it.
One67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #262
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40 View Post
It's far more practical to sit down on than a trials bike. You can do both but the style of bike it is just promotes standing.

I figured it was a bit like that with the emphasis more towards a Trials like riding position. Reminds me of the days when we used to use TY Yamahas or TL Hondas as trail and enduro bikes. Obviously it's a bit more trail oriented than something like the Ossa Explorer

but more Trials oriented than the current crop of MX derived Enduro bikes. It looks like a really nice compromise to me provided you don't want to travel large distances.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #263
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
I figured it was a bit like that with the emphasis more towards a Trials like riding position.
Reminds me of the days when we used to use TY Yamahas or TL Hondas as trail and enduro bikes.
Obviously it's a bit more trail oriented than something like the Ossa Explorer

but more Trials oriented than the current crop of MX derived Enduro bikes.
It looks like a really nice compromise to me provided you don't want to travel large distances.

It would be interesting to throw a tape measure over these three bike;
(wheelbase, steering head angle, trail, rake, rear swing arm length etc.)

Just eyeballing them, the three of them seem to be similar solutions to the same task really...
(with no scientific evidence to support it... but I kinda feel that if you put a high front fender of the Ossa...
that it would be "similar" in looks/feel to both the Scorpa and the freeride?)

The Freeride is the only one of the three that I have ridden.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #264
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,588
The biggest difference, Troy, is that the Ossa weighs around 74kg with road gear. And it is a 2 stroke, so power delivery will be typically awesome.
They are also cheap in aussie dollars, but the importers don't seem to think the Ossa is worth bringing in to the country (I did ask).
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #265
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

other crossover playthings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
The biggest difference, Troy, is that the Ossa weighs around 74kg with road gear. And it is a 2 stroke, so power delivery will be typically awesome.
They are also cheap in aussie dollars, but the importers don't seem to think the Ossa is worth bringing in to the country (I did ask).
If the ring ding ding of a two stroke "trials/trail" crossover is what get's your jinglies tingling...
then Sherco also have a 280cc two stroke version available apparently...
(the 4t version uses much the same chassis/running gear and features Yamaha's WRF 250 donk)

Mind you... I'm most keen to see one of these things from Ossa in the flesh... not so much the Explorer...

Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #266
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192
got to ride around all day yesterday on a ktm freeride, one of us is definitely buying one, the other one is still thinking about it. great bike for its intended purpose, for what it's worth we made a few comments on the bike in this vid....

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #267
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,884
Barry, for around SEQ, where can you ride it where it will be more suitable or easier to ride etc than a 350 EXC or smaller two stroke etc?

Putting it up against your 570, can you see a great amount of use for the Freeride where you couldn't ride the Bergs or smaller bikes 200 exc etc?

Good video too.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #268
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 359
Thumb Thanks for posting B1 & B2(?!?)

[QUOTE=B1;20203135]got to ride around all day yesterday on a ktm freeride, one of us is definitely buying one, the other one is still thinking about it. great bike for its intended purpose, for what it's worth we made a few comments on the bike in this vid....

Thanks for the "local" review. Looks like you guys had a good time putting that little kato through it's paces. So... B2 is definite & B1 is as yet undecided (even though he put it down?)

B1, any news on the rescheduled ST ride?

Thanks a lot for posting Barrys

boneman660 screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 05:42 AM Reason: Confused B1 for B2...
boneman660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #269
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
for around SEQ, where can you ride it where it will be more suitable or easier to ride etc than a 350 EXC or smaller two stroke etc? Putting it up against your 570, can you see a great amount of use for the Freeride where you couldn't ride the Bergs or smaller bikes 200 exc etc? Good video too.
big issue for me at six foot four is fitting on the thing, to stand comfortably, ideally i'd need to raise the bars six inches which would probably need a pile of new cables, wiring and front brake line. too much work, so in reality it would probably be high bend bars, two inch raisers, and maybe pivot pegs to get the pegs a tad lower... B2 is just under six foot and he reckons he will just need bar raisers, roll the bars forward a bit and that will do him. and if you wanted to do more than 70km of gnarly stuff you would probably want that acerbis 2.1L handlebar petrol tank to get your range over 100km...

personally, i reckon if you like riding tight twisty trails, steep bits and technical sections it would be awesome fun. it would still be fine on more open trails as long as you weren't trying to ride it hard like a typical dirt bike. otherwse the steering geometry, plush suspension and 23HP will all be very limiting factors. mind you, the rekluse on the FE570 means i can get it most places a freeride would get to. but if you put a rekluse autoclutch on the freeride is would be unstoppable.

no dirt bike feels great on the road, but there's no reason you couldn't kick the trials tyres up to 35psi to limit wear and cruise out to the tracks at 80kmh... it gets very revvy and buzzy faster than that and the seat won't be much chop. would be kinda fun to ride out to a trials competition in the entry level class, kind of like the old TY175 and TY250 days.

everyone wants something different from their bike, i'd suggest anyone who wants one of these should try to get a decent test ride first to make sure you'll like it, unless you know for sure a trials/dirt bike hybrid is what you want.

at $10500 ride away it's pretty cheap. but if you had an extra $3000 and wanted something that could do technical stuff almost as well, but also be a great overal dirt bike, i figure other options could be the ktm 300exc which is only 5kg heavier, or the 350exc four stroke has twice the power and 9kg heavier than the freeride.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #270
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
got to ride around all day yesterday on a ktm freeride, one of us is definitely buying one, the other one is still thinking about it. great bike for its intended purpose, for what it's worth we made a few comments on the bike in this vid....
Twitchy around 80kph? What pressures were you running?
Throwing knobs?

A set of Pirelli MT43's would help there.

I would love one but will have to put up with a trials tyre shod TT350 in the meantime.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote