Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #12736
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I got the Jets from bikebiz.com.au $89 for standard mounts, $99 for fat mounts. Had to reshape them a bit to clear the screen on my DR650RS, and they are fecking hard to bend! Clamped them in the vice and snotted them with a hammer to put an additional bend on the inside end
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #12737
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 617
3 degree yesterday over here in pommie land. Hadn't started the old girl for months. Still on original battery from 06 but it cranked over (just) making noises luck a dying duck. Then from nowhere - She lives! Lofting the front within minutes

Love it

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #12738
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
3 degree yesterday over here in pommie land. Hadn't started the old girl for months. Still on original battery from 06 but it cranked over (just) making noises luck a dying duck. Then from nowhere - She lives! Lofting the front within minutes

Love it
I love the small, eloquent number plates the Poms use.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #12739
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
It idles fine but has the hugest bog just as you come off idle. Whats that usually a sign of? I'm guessing the pilot jet is wrong but I don't know whether it would be too rich or too lean.
Does the problem improve or become worse as the engine warms up? Does activating the cold start enrichment circuit improve matters or make them worse?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #12740
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I love the small, eloquent number plates the Poms use.
the big plates are partly to use air drag to keep the speed of the DRs under 160 kmh (too much horsepower as we all know), and also so the UK cops can use satellite images to book speeders...
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #12741
LouisBiker
TR650

Oddometer: 128
Love the dr.. had a nice big ride yesterday.

LouisBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #12742
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisBiker View Post
twin bikes that's for sure to the point where you've go the same amount of fuel in each tank. Cool setup.

I need to start going away for several days at a time, as opposed of doing day trips all the time. Australia is a huge place and I've only seen .0001% of it. Will get camping gear after xmas though
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #12743
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Clutch issues

Went out riding with all my dirt bike mates on the weekend. Found a nice steep rutted hill. Couple of my dirt bike rider mates decided to hit it and failed (on two fiddies). One succeeded. I had to have a go on the DR. First attempt, one stack, but I got up. 2nd attempt, a couple of stacks. 3rd attempt, no stacks!!! YAY... Then last attempt, big crowd, over confident 3 massive stacks, feeling it now big time!! I am a noob to this shit and on a reasonably big bike and most of the dirt bike riders in my group were too scared to have a crack!!!

Anyhow, after the last attempt, I got to the top and looks like I have done the clutch. Its slipping bad. I managed to limp out by screwing the adjuster all the way in on the lever. I checked the oil filler and I can see bits of clutch material, so I know I have done some damage to the clutch plates.

Forgive me here, cause I am only new to bikes, so lots of questions.

1) Given the DR has a wet clutch, can the bits of old clutch material in the oil be a problem causing it to slip? I can change the filter and oil out through the week, but should I be looking at the clutch too?

2) IF the clutch is gone, is it worth taking a look at an aftermarket clutch, or (as my googling suggest) is the DR factory clutch just as good?

3) The bike is still under warranty, should I fix it myself and learn or get the dealer to fix? After all, it really is a cheap bike, so if they refuse to honor and possible future warranty issues its not really a great loss.

I think next time I try that sort of stuff, I really shold look at changing the sprockets too. Its a tough call, I like the current ratios for most of my riding, and the real dirtbike stuff is pretty rare for me. So many decisions.

Andy_P screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 05:42 AM
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #12744
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
Forgive me here, cause I am only new to bikes, so lots of questions.

1) Given the DR has a wet clutch, can the bits of old clutch material in the oil be a problem causing it to slip? I can change the filter and oil out through the week, but should I be looking at the clutch too?

2) IF the clutch is gone, is it worth taking a look at an aftermarket clutch, or (as my googling suggest) is the DR factory clutch just as good?

3) The bike is still under warranty, should I fix it myself and learn or get the dealer to fix? After all, it really is a cheap bike, so if they refuse to honor and possible future warranty issues its not really a great loss.

I think next time I try that sort of stuff, I really shold look at changing the sprockets too. Its a tough call, I like the current ratios for most of my riding, and the really dirtbike stuff is pretty rare for me. So many decisions.
your clutch plates will be fried and most likely your springs
the stock clutch is of good quality but will be expensive so price will be the main reason to go aftermarket however you could try kevlar plates as they are said to take a bit more punishment(i got K&G kevlar plates in mine)
it wont be covered under warranty so doing it yourself is up to your own ability
i agree that the DR has too tall gearing to take on big snotty hills and tight singletrack
Im on my 3rd set of clutch plates and have tried stock,EBC and now the K&G
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #12745
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendude View Post
your clutch plates will be fried and most likely your springs
the stock clutch is of good quality but will be expensive so price will be the main reason to go aftermarket however you could try kevlar plates as they are said to take a bit more punishment(i got K&G kevlar plates in mine)
it wont be covered under warranty so doing it yourself is up to your own ability
i agree that the DR has too tall gearing to take on big snotty hills and tight singletrack
Im on my 3rd set of clutch plates and have tried stock,EBC and now the K&G
Thanks. I dont expect the clutch plates to be covered under warranty, was just more concerned about future problems being voided by doing the repairs myself.

Whats your opinion of the aftermarket clutch plates? What would you go with again?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #12746
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

i dont think there any better then stock although the kevlar plates have only been in for a few months but they do feel good and would get them again.
im running a 725 kit, tm40 fmf exhaust and cam so they get a bit more of a workout then some
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #12747
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i dont think there any better then stock although the kevlar plates have only been in for a few months but they do feel good and would get them again.
im running a 725 kit, tm40 fmf exhaust and cam so they get a bit more of a workout then some
My bike is still stock (obvioulsy!!) but I might look at the kevlar plates. That friggin hill has not beaten me yet, I will return!

I am really keen to do the repair myself. I am mechanically adept, rebuilt several car engines and gearboxes over the years, so now time to learn bikes!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #12748
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My bike is still stock (obvioulsy!!) but I might look at the kevlar plates. That friggin hill has not beaten me yet, I will return!

I am really keen to do the repair myself. I am mechanically adept, rebuilt several car engines and gearboxes over the years, so now time to learn bikes!
warranty is your call
its not a difficult job and dont forget to check the NSU screws while your in there
part no. for the plates is
kg034-8hpk
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #12749
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
First attempt, one stack, but I got up.
2nd attempt, a couple of stacks.
3 massive stacks,

should I fix it myself and learn or get the dealer to fix?
If your gonna stack that many times you should learn to fix stuff yourself or it could get very expensive.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #12750
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
warranty is your call
its not a difficult job and dont forget to check the NSU screws while your in there
part no. for the plates is
kg034-8hpk
Where do you buy said parts from? How much should I expect to pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
If your gonna stack that many times you should learn to fix stuff yourself or it could get very expensive.
I am going to return and conquer that hill yet! So plenty more stacks coming too.

Best part about the DR, is there was no damage to anything else other than the clutch, which was probably my fault being a noob and all.