Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #5236
Fishnbait
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Was looking at this bike on CL and wanted to get some feedback on how much you think it would cost to get it fixed.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3449875426.html

The problem I see is " Will provide bill of sale". I would want to have a title unless I was going to part it out.
Fishnbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #5237
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
On the front?

It keeps the brake line out of the wheel.
front and rear..

so its normal to have the braided line be enclosed in some type of plastic then? Odd, never would have guessed
Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #5238
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
The problem I see is " Will provide bill of sale". I would want to have a title unless I was going to part it out.
Not too worried about that unless I plan to make it street legal, then you have to go through all the bonded title stuff.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #5239
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
If he's the legitimate owner and he just lost the title then getting a new one is extremely easy in Tx. Literally takes about 2 weeks to get it. Whether he is or not and you buy it then you could be opening a big can of worms in terms of fees, etc. if you ever want to legally register the bike. Even if you don't plan to, you'll find that selling a bike without a title is a pain and you take a big hit on the price. Most folks nowadays are smart enough to stay clear of potentially stolen property. Personally I'd skip this one unless you plan to just strip it down for parts. Its a bad investment if you plan to keep the bike.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #5240
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Me riding my XR 400 R
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #5241
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,121
out on the TAT, in CO..3 yrs ago..

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #5242
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,798
Ah, now I can participate!

I picked up this jewel (a '98) yesterday in Knoxville, TN via Craigslist. It started on the FIRST kick! I think she likes me. She did
follow me home.

After going through it today, it needs the usual litany of brake pads, cables, filters, etc., but the important thing is the
cam and rockers are slick and shiny... the various and sundry previous owners didn't runn the thing with no oil. Yaaayyy!

It shows just a touch (cough) of use and abuse...

... but she has a good loving home now. The XR4 will allow me to retire my olde XL250R from trail duties, to be restored.

Now I'll get to reading this thread. 350 pages... not so bad compared to the 900+ pages of the DR350 thread I read after that
purchase (buddy bike).
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #5243
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,121
Hows that Swing Arm Pivot Bolt?

congrats btw
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #5244
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post

wow.. just wow.... that bike has a few hours on it... cant beat the old xr4. Amazing
G600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #5245
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

I've never seen footpegs worn to this degree. Pretty impressive I think. I'm replacing them with the cheap steel eBay big-'uns (for my size 14 E's), and keeping the originals to hang in my rogues' gallery.

I don't even want to think about how stuck the swingarm bolt is. If it were welded to the frame it would probably be easier to remove. Oof.

There is a fine line of black RTV silicone between the cylinder and cases, indicating a possible piston & rings job in the past. It doesn't smoke, so I'm hip.

I'm just going through the bike now, tightening and lubing stuff. The brake pedal is all floppy, the rear wheel bearings have a lot of play, etc. Nothing major, just lots of worn consumables. I'll essentially be restoring the bike, save bodywork and appearances. New bearings,cables, brake pads, etc. The muffler has been gutted and is loud as hell... I found a good used one on eBay for a hundred bucks, etc etc etc.

I've been wanting this bike for a long time, and I do TLC.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 10:26 AM
Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #5246
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Stretch 67....when I redid my SA bolt I took off the brake pedal...it is on a shaft with two puny seals to keep out crap...they didn't check yours, replace seals if required, and grease it well on reassembly

flushing fresh brake fluid thru the 2 systems is always good...especially if you have no service records....it's pretty cheap and easy
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #5247
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't even want to think about how stuck the swingarm bolt is. If it were welded to the frame it would probably be easier to remove....
Don´t panic yet, maybe some PO did grease the swingarm bolt at some time. I bought back my 1999 XR4 last year, I did grease the bolt ten years earlier and it was still removable. Was not easy but it still came out. If the ride terrain is not too muddy/wet, rust is less of a problem of course..

Quote:

... The brake pedal is all floppy...
You might have a problem with this one. You can get a new brake pedal of course, but the bushing in the frame is not removable as far as I know. If you find a smart way to tighten up that bushing please let us know..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #5248
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Regarding the brake pedal, I'm sure the hole in the frame is now grossly wallowed-out... even a new pedal would have a sloppy fit. I may just have to drill or ream the hole in the frame, then weld in a sleeve machined to the proper size.

I'll start work on the swingarm bolt when all the crucial stuff is done. I can just lay the bike on its side in the garage and lay the PB Blaster to it, for weeks if need be. I have an air chisel with blunt drift bits... if I can work the thing back and forth in a sea of penetrating oil, maybe something will come of it. I'm not holding out for an easy job of it though. I don't believe the bike spent much time in the desert, but was in the southeastern USA most of its life... humid summers and frequent mud on the trails, not to mention PO's pressure-washing the bike, blasting water into the bearings and bushings.

It may take me a while, but I'll get it. I've been in tighter spots than this.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 12:02 PM
Old 12-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #5249
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
flushing fresh brake fluid thru the 2 systems is always good...especially if you have no service records....it's pretty cheap and easy
Most certainly. It's on my list. Naturally, the front master cylinder cover screws are bunged-up, and will have to be replaced before I can re-install the cover. Fortunately, the brakes work quite well, so I ought not have to rebuild them quite yet, just new pads and a fluid flush.

Thanks.
XR400 Index
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #5250
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll start work on the swingarm bolt when all the crucial stuff is done. I can just lay the bike on its side in the garage and lay the PB Blaster to it, for weeks if need be. I have an air chisel with blunt drift bits... if I can work the thing back and forth in a sea of penetrating oil, maybe something will come of it. I'm not holding out for an easy job of it though...

Ok.

If the bolt won’t move, try heat before doing anything more drastic.

I was once working on a stuck swingarm bolt in a 2004 xr4. It had never been out and was truly stuck. The usual big hammer, socket with long extension shaft and rust penetration oil routine did not work.

So I got a oxygen/acetylene (steel) cutting Torch. If you do the same, DO NOT TOUCH THE LEVER as you don’t want to blast any material away. With a strong flame you can heat the swingarm bolt from end to end, you can blast the flame through the hollow bolt. I did heat the bolt until it was just starting to go read (at the torch end) , and then let it cool down. I repeated this maybe ten times, but eventually the bolt moved.