Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #4006
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I have got a Guard-it bash plate from Adventure Moto. Lower crashbars are incorporated in with the bash plate. Barkbusters with end weights are the go. I also have a single Barret pipe. Love it.

As for the suspension, mine went to Teknik. About $1000 front and rear. New springs both ends, emulators fitted to the front forks (brilliant) and the he rebuilds the rear shock rather than fitting an Ohlins. He did a lot of testing on TB 650s bike.

Suspension has been the best upgrade.

Also get a DNA stage 2 filter ring, and get the Air Injection System plugged up. Alot of guys get the "Kev Mod". It's a resistor set up which tricks the EFI to richen up the fuel mix. Go to www.xt660.com for more info. Bar risers make life a lot easier also.
Desert Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #4007
Scotty4x4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsr View Post
hi guys
just layed down some hard earned on a new 660 hopefully its a good repacement for the aging ktm 640 adv

my question is what peoples toughts on a 50t rear sproket change from stock?
the bike i rode seemed way too tall geared for any real offroad with stock gearing.
bike will be used for proper adventure touring so must do a comfy 100 km/h plus dirt work

also I need brand recommendationds of the following-
bash plate
gen yammi lower crash bar
pipe (was thinking single barret)
hand guards (barkbusters?)
suspension seemed a bit soft (just a spring upgrade enough)

its getting a high guard kit and knobbies with hd tubes

anything else anyone can think of?

cheers andrew
i have a b&b bash plate, nice and thick comes up pretty high to.. i have dragged it across mounds and rock drop offs and it does its job..
also run the bark buster with the end weights. seam to do the job too
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #4008
Rafael Martins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post
It's the flexible bit between the connection to the bike and the light unit, breaking off at the bike end. First I thought that I just had a bad unit but then to have a second one go in the same place looks like poor design or a bad batch.

Have tried super glue and duct tape but without success.

Bike is a 2012 model, only done 3K km on road and never dropped.
We are having this problem here in Brazil, but the indicator lights are localy, and they use the same as GS650G.

Yamaha here is changing in warranty, but they keep breaking every time.
Rafael Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #4009
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Feeding the chubby girl Tim-Tams

I placed a $1000 order with Off-The-Road in Germany a while back... Here's some details...

SW center-stand:
$144aus
2.8kg (including bolts & springs)
Very solid, no complaints...

SW crash bars:
$150aus
5.5kg (including bolts) (you save close to 0.5kg when you remove the standard tank mounting bolts)

There's no shortage of pics around for these, so I'll just add a couple of pics of the top mounting points:

OTR Luggage racks:
$230aus
4kg (including bolts)
Distance between sides: 390mm.... There's about 10mm clearance between the mufflers and the rack and top mount...

Very solid, a lot better than I expected...

Pics of the mounting points:

OTR Pannier mounting kit: (to suit the above rack)
$62aus
3.3kg all up (2x top mounts=1.25kg, 4x lower mounts= 0.44kg, 2x backing plates=1kg, pins=0.4kg, screws=0.2kg)

Pretty good for the money IMO (if you want to use hard cases)... The mounting pins are designed to be used with the OTR cases/locks, which lock the pins so the cases cant be removed... I'll modify them to suit my pelican copies...

Being a cheapskate I got the OTR $82aus tall screen to try, rather than a better local one... I don't like it at all.... I'm 6'1, the wind off the top hits me right in the eyes, if I was slightly shorter it would be ok... It's better than the standard screen on the HWY with the visor down, but most my riding is offroad with the visor up, so it's annoying having the wind catch under the visor... Also, In the rough stuff the top of the screen gets too close to my face, I think if I carry on using it I'll smack my face into it eventually... It also hinders my view of the track, especially on rough uphill sections when I'm trying to pick my way through trenches and rocks... .... I expected all this, which is why I went for the cheapie ... I'll just cut down the standard screen now

The above prices don't include shipping, I ordered 23kg of crap so the shipping ended up costing me $110aus, expensive, but the savings made it worth it IMO... Other crap I got was a couple of 14-tooth sprockets, cush rubbers, clutch cable, oil filters, spare chain slider, spare screen screws, tyre levers...

More pics:

A couple of other bits....

An engine mount bolt! I strongly advise people to pull all their suspension and engine bolts and slather them in grease, copper-cote, or similar:

Think I got this idea from somewhere in this thread, switch and cig-lighter socket mounted in the side of the dash:

Brake Pads:
With 5000km on the bike the standard Brembo rear brake pads were shagged, the local Yamaha shop wanted $50 , so I got a couple of cheap sets off ebay, hoping they'll last longer....

$19 (inc del) Kyoto ones from the UK:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300730806084

$16 (free del) Motor-Tech ones from China, (seems they're charging $10 for delivery now)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320967444143

I've got the Chinese Motor-Tech ones on at the moment, they're VERY grabby, it doesn't take much pressure on the peddle to lock the back wheel, hopefully they'll get better with time....

I didn't take any specific pics of the screen, so these will have to do:

FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #4010
Rafael Martins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nice pics of the gear!
Rafael Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #4011
drblue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
has anyone purchased a outdoor bike cover that fits the Tenere and if so where

michael
drblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #4012
Hoonatic Ty
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Around Australia starts tomorrow for me...

Hey Crew,

I have certainly been enjoying this 'thread' with all the tips and experiences. Priceless info.

I'm taking off tomorrow on a round Australia trip. First time I've done anything like this! I work a 5 week on, 5 week off roster driving vessels. So I'll do it in stages of the 5 week time frame. Hopefully I'll see some of you on my journey.

Here's a few shots of my set up...

Have started a thread "Hoonatic Ty Rides Australia" to post experiences and progress.

See you out there!
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #4013
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonatic Ty View Post
Hey Crew,

Have started a thread "Hoonatic Ty Rides Australia" to post experiences and progress.

See you out there!
link?
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #4014
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude View Post
link?
Hey Aub. It's on riding/ride reports, all on the home page of adv.
Cheers

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #4015
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonatic Ty View Post
Hey Crew,

I have certainly been enjoying this 'thread' with all the tips and experiences. Priceless info.

I'm taking off tomorrow on a round Australia trip. First time I've done anything like this! I work a 5 week on, 5 week off roster driving vessels. So I'll do it in stages of the 5 week time frame. Hopefully I'll see some of you on my journey.

Here's a few shots of my set up...

See you out there!
im jealous!!!!! all the best ya lucky bastard, if your on ya patmalone ride safe! i'll subscribe to your thread.
cheers

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #4016
ajsr
n00b

Oddometer: 5
what do we think of these?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181040439...84.m1586.l2649
I used to do a few night kms on the 640adv and the lights were rubbish
the price seems good and the output seems excellent
ajsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #4017
Mattyvas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
They look alright, they don't say anything about mounting them though.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #4018
shelbyjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyvas View Post
They look alright, they don't say anything about mounting them though.
I had the solstice lights on my bike, look identical. I mounted using a stainless strip I bought from Whitworths under the headlight brace. Easy to mount, just need to position to give fork clearance.

I mated my mates on the grey plastics fastener - used a longer bolt and a spacer from the bracket on a tv wall hangar. Bit more exposed, but 6" higher which does make a difference.

I wired into relay from battery and used signal from high beam light as actuator. I put in a toggle too so I could turn the lights on with low beam, you just need to put in a $2 diode to stop the current back-feeding to the high beam (else your high beam will come on with the driving lights).

I also changed my lamps to a hid, was a massive change, you just need to stash the ignightor and ballast.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #4019
Desert Hack
git 'r done

Oddometer: 33
Cool2 Premium v Unleaded

Hi all,
Tried a search or two on various threads/forums but to no avail. Just after some info on premium vs regular unleaded for my 2011 XT660Z. Planning to head across the Simpson Desert in about April or May 2013 with Oodnadatta as the last fuel stop. ( I am not really keen on going to Mt Dare for reasons previously mentioned by another inmate from Alice Springs on another thread and previous personal experience, when visiting in a 4x4) There is precious little PULP on the way via Marree, Oodnadatta etc. and Yamaha says use PULP. My question is, will ULP 91 effect the bike, other than maybe a drop in performance/economy, as opposed to ULP 95 or 98.
I am happy to go read it for myself if someone has a suggestion as to where I might find this sort of info in the forums.
I am pretty new to this forum thing so go easy on me please.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers
Desert Hack
Desert Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #4020
waalex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hack View Post
Hi all,
Tried a search or two on various threads/forums but to no avail. Just after some info on premium vs regular unleaded for my 2011 XT660Z. Planning to head across the Simpson Desert in about April or May 2013 with Oodnadatta as the last fuel stop. ( I am not really keen on going to Mt Dare for reasons previously mentioned by another inmate from Alice Springs on another thread and previous personal experience, when visiting in a 4x4) There is precious little PULP on the way via Marree, Oodnadatta etc. and Yamaha says use PULP. My question is, will ULP 91 effect the bike, other than maybe a drop in performance/economy, as opposed to ULP 95 or 98.
I am happy to go read it for myself if someone has a suggestion as to where I might find this sort of info in the forums.
I am pretty new to this forum thing so go easy on me please.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers
Desert Hack
I have not had any problems running my tenere on standard unleaded. No pinging, and no noticeable drop in economy. When using opal I use about 15% more fuel, but still no pinging.

2010 Yamaha Tenere
waalex is offline   Reply With Quote