Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip22 View Post
I like my bike to not blow it up.. I'd rather spend $175 for a new part than deal with insurance.. Convincing them my bike just blew up for no reason or because i dropped it may only work in movies..

Just sayin' the pump motor brushes are sparking all the time the fuel pump is running and it is immersed in the fuel. You have to have the right fuel/air mixture to get gasoline to burn or explode and in the tank it is just not condusive to burning unless you induce plenty of air. That is why a flooded engine won't run. But I'll admit I pulled it out of the tank to do it, just in case ( I couldn't explain it to the insurance guy either, at least not with a straight face). But it was still sopping wet with fuel when I pulled the trigger. No fire no explosion. But I highly recommend a full tank if you are not going to pull the strip out to do this. That would be the safest way to do it on bike.

The good news is the MTE is still re-calibrating itself. Today I hit the low fuel warning @50 to E (normally it would be around 45). The fill up with 31 to go was 4.1 gallons. The MTE after filling was 199 vs.166 the first time and it also counted up as I drove but I only put 7 miles on it after fill up. I suspect that after two or three tank full cycles the MTE and low warning will be back to normal.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
jzeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,558
So what EXACTLY did you do?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
So what EXACTLY did you do?
After reading about Joel Wisman's discovery working with the BMW Parts Boss on the use of a Megger when testing failed strip he discovered the megger's high voltage was "reconnecting" the broken thick film resistor.

I looked for a suitable source of high voltage just like a megger to do the same thing. Tried zapping the two center pins of the connector (sensor leads as the two outer are the heater leads) with a piezo electric fire place lighter with the butane disabled. I used a Scripto brand as the nose (where the spark and fire are) was round and had flutes that could be bent back to get the "sparky" bits up close to the desired two center pins. I wanted a short burst of high voltage with low current and no flame. The lighter worked perfectly.

I did have the strip out of the tank for testing reasons but it was still wet with fuel when I did this on the work bench. There did not appear to be any "spark" leakage outside the mylar covering on the strip. So I would not hesitate to do this on-bike but would recommend a full tank just to be safe.

It appears that the high voltage "finds" the microscopic crack in the substrate resistor material and welds it back together or forms a carbon trace that re-connects the break. I would like to get some strips to do some inspection and testing on to confirm this. Just know it works.

I guess if I can get a hold of some bad strips I could do a video and post that.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Thanks for the update. Ill see what I can come up with maybe if I ask around enough I may be able to come across some old fuel strips for experimenting
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,558
Thanks for the info, Jzeiler
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #21
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
After reading about Joel Wisman's discovery working with the BMW Parts Boss on the use of a Megger when testing failed strip he discovered the megger's high voltage was "reconnecting" the broken thick film resistor.

I looked for a suitable source of high voltage just like a megger to do the same thing. Tried zapping the two center pins of the connector (sensor leads as the two outer are the heater leads) with a piezo electric fire place lighter with the butane disabled. I used a Scripto brand as the nose (where the spark and fire are) was round and had flutes that could be bent back to get the "sparky" bits up close to the desired two center pins. I wanted a short burst of high voltage with low current and no flame. The lighter worked perfectly.

I did have the strip out of the tank for testing reasons but it was still wet with fuel when I did this on the work bench. There did not appear to be any "spark" leakage outside the mylar covering on the strip. So I would not hesitate to do this on-bike but would recommend a full tank just to be safe.

It appears that the high voltage "finds" the microscopic crack in the substrate resistor material and welds it back together or forms a carbon trace that re-connects the break. I would like to get some strips to do some inspection and testing on to confirm this. Just know it works.

I guess if I can get a hold of some bad strips I could do a video and post that.
If ever I saw a "how to" post that needed a disclaimer that was it.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Standard Disclaimer

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. List at least two alternate dates. Batteries not included. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Shading within a garment may occur. Employees and their families are not eligible. You must be present to win. Do not write below this line. No shoes, no shirt, no service. An equal opportunity employer. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. Reproduction strictly prohibited. Subject to CAB approval. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Not responsible for typographical errors. Driver does not carry cash. Post office will not deliver without postage. Text may contain material some readers may find objectionable, Parental guidance is advised. Prerecorded for this time zone. Times approximate. This is not an offer to sell securities. Program is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied. No returns unless defective. Restaurant package, not for resale. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult a chemist. Under penalty of law, this tag not to be removed except by consumer. One size fits all. No user-serviceable parts inside. This can contains a head-enhancing device; do not shake vigorously. No Cholesterol. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. All rights reserved Program offer valid only at participating E-mail sites. Use only as directed. Package sold by weight, not volume. Beware of dog. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. Sign here without admitting guilt. Safety goggles may be required during use. Keep away from OJ. See label for sequence. For off-road use only. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Instructions are included. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Low in Fat. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Offer valid only at participating sites. Some equipment shown is optional. No animals were mistreated or abused in posting this document to the network. Not the Beatles. Drop in any mailbox. No other warranty expressed or implied. Terms are subject to change without notice. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Do not put the base of this ladder on frozen manure. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. High Fiber. Sanitized for your protection. Parental advisory -- explicit lyrics. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. Subject to change without notice. Keep away from open flames and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Warranty void if serviced by non-authorized personnel. Parental discression advised, text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Call before you dig. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. Ceci n'est pas une pipe. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. As seen on TV. Postage will be paid by addressee. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. No preservatives added. Void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Check here if tax deductible. No alcohol, dogs or horses. Text used in these pages is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. If a rash, redness, irritation, or swelling develops, discontinue use. User assumes full liabilities. Not liable for damages due to use or misuse. You need not be present to win. Keep away from sunlight, pets, and small children. No purchase necessary. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Other copyright laws for specific files apply wherever noted. Use only with proper ventilation. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Keep away from fire or flames. For external use only. Slippery when wet. Avoid contact with skin. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Your cancelled check is your receipt. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Replace with same type. No money down. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Add toner. Call toll free number before digging. Some assembly required. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not disturb. Place stamp here. List each check separately by bank number. For recreational use only. Falling rock. Price does not include taxes. First pull up, then pull down. Must be 18 to enter. Kilroy was here. Keep cool; process promptly. This offer is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Files are subject to change without notice. If defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Do not stamp. Don't even think about parking here. No Canadian coins. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Do not place near flammable or magnetic source. May be hazardous to health if consumed in excessive quantities. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. No animals were used to test the content of these pages. Due to the nature of the game of squash, this racket is not guaranteed. Your mileage may vary. Other restrictions may apply. Smoking these pages may be hazardous to your health. Edited for television. Contents may settle during shipment. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Don't try this in your living room; these are trained professionals. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Penalty for private use. List was current at time of printing. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. All models over 18 years of age. No substitutions allowed. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavor added. Colors may, in time, fade. For office use only. Not recommended for children. Simulated picture. Action figures sold separately. If condition persists, consult your physician. At participating locations only. Files are slightly enlarged to show detail. Many suitcases look alike. No solicitors. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Limit one-per-family please. Approved for veterans. Apply only to affected area. No passes accepted for this engagement. Read at your own risk. Sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is broken. Pages are ribbed for your pleasure. Use other side for additional listings. May be too intense for some viewers. Out to lunch. Caveat emptor. Dolphin Safe. For a limited time only. Booths for two or more. Avoid contact with mucous membranes. Program distribution is copyrighted to the extent that you may distribute the program and all its associated parts freely but you may not make a profit from it or include the program in commercial publications without written permission from Major League baseball. Disclaimer does not cover hurricane, lightning, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, and other Acts of God, war, misuse, neglect, unauthorized repair, damage from improper installation, broken antenna or marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, customer adjustments that are not covered in the file list, and incidents owing to airplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken glass, falling rocks, mud slides, forest fire, unwanted children, flying projectiles, or dropping the item. These pages do not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything. This supersedes all previous notices unless indicated otherwise
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
screwit
One more time

Oddometer: 846
Puke .

Should be about a million old fuel strips floating around. Stupidest f@&$ing thing I've ever seen. I quit fixing my 2007 GS gauge after the second one quit. If I ever come across the idiot who designed it I'm gonna bitch slap him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip22 View Post
Thanks for the update. Ill see what I can come up with maybe if I ask around enough I may be able to come across some old fuel strips for experimenting
Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #24
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
You can continue to have your dealer replace them under warranty or you can fix them yourself -on the bike with $3.50 tool.

Just zap the two middle pins in the fuel flange four pin connector with a scripto piezo electric lighter. Disconnect the connector and stick the opened end into the flange connector and click it two or three times. The sensor element in the strip is not as flexible as it should be and develops fractures causing an open circuit.

The momentary high voltage arc from the lighter travels the length of the sensor substrate and fuses it back together. I am on my first strip and it failed two weks ago. After zapping it it has worked for two tank fulls.

Note that during the first fill up the Miles to Empty function will re-calibrate itself and be back to normal after about 40 miles of driving.
Any chance you could post a pic of the lighter. How do you set it up to the strip? Are you saying you just have to get it close not actually in contact with the terminals?
Would a replacement BBQ ignition with the end pressed against the terminals do the trick?

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Fuel strip fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwit View Post
Should be about a million old fuel strips floating around. Stupidest f@&$ing thing I've ever seen. I quit fixing my 2007 GS gauge after the second one quit. If I ever come across the idiot who designed it I'm gonna bitch slap him.

His name is Günter Himmeler and he's Director of Seating Comfort & Fuel Strips. I'm told he's a great guy but very sensative. Just sayin' . . . . . .

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #26
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE View Post
Any chance you could post a pic of the lighter. How do you set it up to the strip? Are you saying you just have to get it close not actually in contact with the terminals?
Would a replacement BBQ ignition with the end pressed against the terminals do the trick?
It would be I don't appear to have a high enough odometer count to post photo attachments (or at least I haven't figured it out yet). But I found this : http://www.instructables.com/id/Scri...hter-Teardown/

Just carry through to step 5 pull the hose and the little white block where the hose is and put it back together. This will allow you spark with impunity and create no flame. Look at the other end - it should be round with little tabs bent inward. Bend them out with some small pliers. You are now ready to zap the strip.

If you do it on bike (use a full tank just to be safe as the strip is completely submerged when the tank is full) just unplug the cable with the four wires from the fuel flange. The sensor pins are female in that connector and male on the fuel flange. Stick the end of the lighter in the center of the fuel flange connector ( make sure you don't have a fuel leak ). And pull the trigger a few times. Hook the connector back up and start the bike. You should see a fuel level reading within a minute or two.

If you do it off bike the stip has a female connector and you should find some pins to stick in the two center holes (small sraight pins will work) the place the tip of the lighter over the pins and pull away. If you have a meter you can check to see if you were successful before you re-install the strip. Just measue the resitance on those two pins and you should see about 2.7 k ohms. If not zap again.
2009 K300GT
K4AN

jzeiler screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 03:44 PM
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,044
Quote:
It would be I don't appear to have a high enough odometer count to post photo attachments (or at least I haven't figured it out yet). But I found this : http://www.instructables.com/id/Scri...hter-Teardown/

Just carry through to step 5 pull the hose and the little white block where the hose is and put it back together. This will allow you spark with impunity and create no flame. Look at the other end - it should be round with little tabs bent inward. Bend them out with some small pliers. You are now ready to zap the strip.

If you do it on bike (use a full tank just to be safe as the strip is completely submerged when the tank is full) just unplug the cable with the four wires from the fuel flange. The sensor pins are female in that connector and male on the fuel flange. Stick the end of the lighter in the center of the fuel flange connector ( make sure you don't have a fuel leak ). And pull the trigger a few times. Hook the connector back up and start the bike. You should see a fuel level reading within a minute or two.

If you do it off bike the stip has a femal connector and you should find some pins to stick in the two center holes (small sraight pins will work) the place the tip of the lighter over the pins and pull away. If you have a meter you can check to see if you were successful before you re-install the strip. Just measue the resitance on those two pins and you should see about 2.7 k ohms. If not zap again.
I too would like to see a pic of exactly the lighter is hooked up to the strip.

You don't post pics as attachments on this site no matter what your "mileage" is . You use a free file sharing host like Photobucket.com. You upload your pic to the "image host" and then copy and paste the image code from the host to your post here. Fast easy and no cost.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
screwit
One more time

Oddometer: 846
Hmmmm

Looks like a puss.. I think I could take him, here hold my beer for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
His name is Günter Himmeler and he's Director of Seating Comfort & Fuel Strips. I'm told he's a great guy but very sensative. Just sayin' . . . . . .

Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #29
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I too would like to see a pic of exactly the lighter is hooked up to the strip.

You don't post pics as attachments on this site no matter what your "mileage" is . You use a free file sharing host like Photobucket.com. You upload your pic to the "image host" and then copy and paste the image code from the host to your post here. Fast easy and no cost.
OK I will go shoot some pics and set up an account to post them with. Thanks.

Lighter

Bend the tabs out

Simulated fuel strip connector (use your imagination as I was not pulling out of the tank) with small wires inserted into the center two pins.

Put the wires into the end of the lighter and pull the trigger.

OK The shots are a bit big and so is the end of the lighter it really does not fit well into the fuel flange connector but you could still do it with some small brass tubing slipped over the male pins to bring them up and out of the connector for zapping.

Looks like the best way to do this is to remove the strip from the tank and zap it.
2009 K300GT
K4AN

jzeiler screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:44 PM
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #30
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
OK I will go shoot some pics and set up an account to post them with. Thanks.

Lighter

Bend the tabs out

Simulated fuel strip connector (use your imagination as I was not pulling out of the tank) with small wires inserted into the center two pins.

Put the wires into the end of the lighter and pull the trigger.

OK The shots are a bit big and so is the end of the lighter it really does not fit well into the fuel flange connector but you could still do it with some small brass tubing slipped over the male pins to bring them up and out of the connector for zapping.

Looks like the best way to do this is to remove the strip from the tank and zap it.
Would a couple of small alligator clips work to get the terminals exposed more?

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote