User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #526
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Good Photos I forgot to show

Here are some good photos I missed showing you.

Check out this huge rock on El Tunco Beach in El Salvador and the awesome beach houses.

To get an idea of the scale, there is a man sitting on the rock

I met this awesome surfer guy on the beach in El Tunco. I'n my broken Spanish we had a little conversation. When I told him I had ridden my moto from Canada, he said I was loco, then I told him Steph had ridden her bicycle from Canada and he said she was muy loco, then he laughed and said she was bien, muy loco. (A good really crazy)

I saw this nice little BMW wagon in Antigua. I don't think they sell this car in Canada or the USA. I had never seen one before

I may have shown this before but I like it, a church gate in Oaxaca, MX

Public transportation at the Honduras/Nicaraguan border

Walking on the beach at El Tunco. Those two little girls sure liked Steph. She gave them each a dollar but wouldn't take what they were selling and when on little girl asked about the Lei Steph was wearing (she got it the night before at a dance bar) she gave it to her. I wish i had taken a picture of the little girl's face. Priceless!

I saw this shirt in El Tunco and it reminded me that I'd only seen two, maybe three Harleys, since I left Texas. You don't hear them noise polluting these beach towns

Two surfers I saw in El Tunco. It is a major surfing destination. Lots of people from all over the world come there to try the waves

The beer in El Salvador. Very good! And only $1.20 at the bar

Chris at his Moto Cafe in Antigua Guatemala. I cannot say enough good about this young man. I felt like I had an immediate friend when I arrived after a couple of trying days. His advice was excellent on routing and places to visit, restaurants, a hostel, everything. He sure knows his stuff.

That's it for now. Boris and I will explore this fine city called Panama a bit today and I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures later.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #527
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Well done yourself.
I have been keeping an eye on you since before you left and have thouroughly enjoyed the adventure. I want to thank you for the truthful reporting of events, moods, people and good or not so good emotions . Brings it all to life for us dealing with sub zero temps.
As a man who refuses to line up at a Tim hortons for coffee the border crossings sound painful but that first sip of a new country should take some of the edge off just like a large coffee would.
Thanks for taking the time.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #528
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Well done yourself.
I have been keeping an eye on you since before you left and have thouroughly enjoyed the adventure. I want to thank you for the truthful reporting of events, moods, people and good or not so good emotions . Brings it all to life for us dealing with sub zero temps.
As a man who refuses to line up at a Tim hortons for coffee the border crossings sound painful but that first sip of a new country should take some of the edge off just like a large coffee would.
Thanks for taking the time.
I know readers can skim through my entire report in an hour or two. Quite a different experience from being away from home almost two months now. Today is my beautiful wife Angele's birthday. Makes it tough to be away from her. I wish we were together today, well, everyday!!! Her kind, giving, loving self has made this trip possible. She knows my spirit of adventure better than anyone and she encourages it. Happy Birthday, Miss Angele.

As I was saying though it's one thing to read a report and another to live it. There are going to be good days and bad. Boris and I were laughing yesterday as we got to the airport around 1:30 and never got out of there until 7:00. Another day waiting, but what a day we considered to be very successful.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #529
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I saw this nice little BMW wagon in Antigua. I don't think they sell this car in Canada or the USA. I had never seen one before

That is the 135 sedan which is not sold in the US. We get the coupe and a limited run of 1000 1M's.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #530
Kedgi OP
Banned

I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
That is the 135 sedan which is not sold in the US. We get the coupe and a limited run of 1000 1M's.

Sort of practical but still very sporty

Kedgi
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #531
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cool2 Our Hostel

I took these few pictures just to show where we are.

The Magnolia, we were wandering around little alleys looking for a place to stay. Boris found this in his guidebook. The word "luxury" almost scared us away, but it is luxurious for $15/day and the sleeping quarters have central air. That is luxury indeed.

We could not have stayed here if we still had the bikes. No secure parking

The front gate

Looking up from the street

The street were are on. This area is under major renewal

From one of the balconies

The view down the cross street

Looking in the other direction you can see one of the highrises in the new city in the distance

A close up of a dwelling down the block

We walked around last night and were treated to amazing sights and sounds. There are families living in very basic accomodation in some buildings, some building are derelict and empty, and then right next door there will be a 5 star restaurant or wine bar, complete with men in beautiful tropical suits and women in sparkling party dress and heels, done up to the "nines" I have never seen anything like it before.

There are beautiful squares you can sit in, beside luxury restored apartments, next to empty buildings, we heard the President of Panama lives in this neighborhood and we think we found out where when an armed guard would not let us walk down one street. There is a mixture of bars from very high end to very basic. We of course chose very basic and were surpised to learn that beers were $2.00 we have become conditioned to much cheaper prices. We only had a couple and then just enjoyed the walk around this vibrant neighborhood.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 04:58 PM
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #532
Kedgi OP
Banned

Pictures from Panama City, Old and New

Pictures of Old and New Panama City

Breakfast made by Boris, Nice!

We walked to the new part of town, it's a long walk in 34 degree heat!

Tons of cool buildings

We checked out hard Rock Hotel, Panama

It has a pool on the 52nd floor and the hotel is 62 stories high

This was one of my favorite buildings

We were out of cash cause we had both hit our weekly withdrawl limit because we had to pay cash to ship the bikes to Bogata, so we ate where they take Mastercard....Hooters Panama. A real burger just like home....Yum!

Somebody spilled fish by the market...vultures!

We came home to get out of the heat!

I walked later around old town and took some pictures to show you.

One of my neighbors, poor little guy's afraid of me

Old Town

Apartments are not cheap here. To buy this restored 104sq meter 2bd 2 bth $340,000USD

Every once in a while you see one like this, immaculately restored. It had a BMW and an Audi in the garage and a armed guard

Hard to think Christmas when it's 100 degrees

These buildings are dripping in character

Another restored beauty

Restored beside unrestored. The unrestored one is for sale, call Century 21

This guy reminded me of our cat Bob

A beautifully restored commercial space. I would love to see old Panam 5 years from now just to see what happens

For rent, very nice!

When it got dark, I came back to our little street to post these pictures

I really like Old Town Panama

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 05:20 AM
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #533
Polaris01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
AWESOME Report and pictures!!
Hope it's the adventure of a lifetime for you, take your time.
Oh and bag up some of that heat and send it back to the Maritimes, -16 in the shed yesterday and the 'ol KLR had a hard time waking up to go for a spin. Sheesh the fork lock was frozen solid and both the clutch and side stand switch crapped out at the same time. Gotta love those battery tenders and heated gear tho!
Take care and keep it coming
Polaris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #534
Kedgi OP
Banned

Eh? -16

Wow -16

That seems so strange to me now. When Boris and I walked to the new town yesterday we saw the temperature flashing on a bank sign....... 34 It was HOT

The A/C in the Hotel and restaurant felt so good!

Last night I went and had a few beers at a bar around the corner, met two girls travelling from NY and had fun talking to them, they in turn introduced me to the two guys running the bar. Those guys are flying to Houston and driving back to Panama in a Jeep they have up there. I wish I had my camera with me but I didn't, darn it.

Looking forward to South America, our flight is tonight at around 5:30 and we will be in Bogata just after 7PM. The bikes are supposed to be through customs tomorrow morning. I'm thinking I'm going to ride north, to Cartegena before turning south again. Maybe I can meet the guys on the Steel Rat trip I had originally planned to be on.

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 06:07 AM
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #535
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Looking forward to South America, our flight is tonight at around 5:30 and we will be in Bogata just after 7PM. The bikes are supposed to be through customs tomorrow morning.
Hola Kedgi!

Can you post some details and information about your experience crossing the Darian? Where/how you're shipping your bike (air freight?). Your flight, information for those of us who will be behind you, costs? Did you book in advance? How did the export and import go? What's the insurance details? I see the StahlRat is booked. Were you planning to go that way initially?

Whatever you have time to explain helps those of us, like me, who will be following.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #536
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 189
Hey Dwight, Lurking along here. I went to the bike show in Toronto yesterday, checking out my options for a new ride as my '03 VStrom 1000 is starting to rack up serious k's. I've had my eye on the GS800 at $14K, but, then add the farkles..WTF!! Compare that to a 650VStrom with hard bags, engine guard, bash plate etc for $10,900 makes the decision a lot easier. The diff. is a lot of travel $$. I like the Strom a lot, I've beat the crap out of mine and it still keeps tickin'. Here's the thing, I'd like the 650 VStrom ( at 480 lbs. ) for highway miles and crap roads alike, but in your opinion, would something more dirt oriented be a better choice once into Mexico and beyond. I know there are a lot of options, just wondering! Take care.... lovin your ride.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #537
Kedgi OP
Banned

Bike Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Hola Kedgi!

Can you post some details and information about your experience crossing the Darian? Where/how you're shipping your bike (air freight?). Your flight, information for those of us who will be behind you, costs? Did you book in advance? How did the export and import go? What's the insurance details? I see the StahlRat is booked. Were you planning to go that way initially?

Whatever you have time to explain helps those of us, like me, who will be following.
I had originally planned to take the Steel Rat, but I missed the boat by a few hours due to long delays at various borders. When Boris, who I met in my travels and I arrived in Panama City we went straight to the airport and found Girag Air Transport, they are at the Airports Cargo facility Right beside FedEx. For $902 (Cash it must be cash they do not accept any credit cards) they will fly your bike to Bogata Colombia. All you have to do is get an exit stamp from Panama Aduana (Customs) which is a short walk away and unhook your bike's battery. We did not have and fortunately did not need reservations. Girag clears the bike through Columbian Customs.

Separately, after Girag had our bikes set to go, we booked tickets on an Avianca flight for ourselves at a cost of just over $400. They take credit cards and we booked online.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #538
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
Hey Dwight, Lurking along here. I went to the bike show in Toronto yesterday, checking out my options for a new ride as my '03 VStrom 1000 is starting to rack up serious k's. I've had my eye on the GS800 at $14K, but, then add the farkles..WTF!! Compare that to a 650VStrom with hard bags, engine guard, bash plate etc for $10,900 makes the decision a lot easier. The diff. is a lot of travel $$. I like the Strom a lot, I've beat the crap out of mine and it still keeps tickin'. Here's the thing, I'd like the 650 VStrom ( at 480 lbs. ) for highway miles and crap roads alike, but in your opinion, would something more dirt oriented be a better choice once into Mexico and beyond. I know there are a lot of options, just wondering! Take care.... lovin your ride.

I haven't done any dirt or gravel roads this trip, at all. Some really bad pavement , rough with lots of potholes was the roughest conditions I encountered. I think the Vstrom would work just fine. I find my KLR, loaded with gear, pretty heavy when I have to turn it around on a steep hill etc. but with my Sargent Seat it's very comfortable and works just fine down here.

Depends on what you want to do. My plan is just to ride, mostly main roads, because there is so much distance to cover and I can't be gone forever. Hope that helps, if not don't be afaraid to ask more.

Glad you're reading

Dwight
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #539
Kedgi OP
Banned

Tocumen

Sitting in the Tocumen Airport in Panama City as I type this. Nice airport, there's even a Margaritaville Bar & Restaurant here. Who knew? Jimmy Buffett gets around.

Flight leaves in an hour and a half, Boris and I are having a beer and taking advantage of the free internet.

We'll be in South America by 7:30 tonight!

We have beds booked at the Fatima Hostel in downtown Bogata

I'll try and update again tomorrow, we went to the Panama Canal today. I took lots of pictures. Really cool Museum and we got to watch a container ship go through the locks. It was neat!

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 03:00 PM
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #540
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Loving it. You have it absolutely spot on. Me reading this on my couch is a world away, nay a galaxy away from you riding the road and writing the script. Yet, I feel it and know the grind which is travel,and I would not trade the experience of that for anything. You have the accuity of perception and depth of sensitivity which allows us to go "two up" while staying at home. I used to stop at Tocumen for fuel for the leg to Buenos Aires, many moons ago.
Vaya con Dios, amigo.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote