Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #31
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by foothills
RR, have you gotten a test ride on the WRR?
Riding the WRR around with a heavy throttle hand is good!
I have one lined up in the near future. I will be sure to give it the "heavy hand"
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #32
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,693
Thumbs down

I recently acquired a WR, in addition to my modded DR; absolutely loved the WR, to point I had put the DR up for sale, but I still had reservations. The WR is more modern, better brakes and better instrumentation. The DR had more grunt, much more relaxed; what was odd to me is that the two bikes do the same job by very different ways, the speed in the twisties/gravel roads, even acceleration from traffic lights was very similar. When I realized that the cost of finishing the DR with Intimators and a Vapor tech would be offset by all the mods that I would feel compelled to do to the WR to make it ready for the back country, the pendulum started to swing back towards the Suzuki. What made my final decision was a recent highway jaunt where I had to keep the WR throttle pinned to maintain 70 on a moderate incline, as well as when hammering to pass some cages on secondary roads where I would have just rolled on the DR. The WR is a work of art and an absolute blast to ride, looks evil as hell, but as a poor boy who can't justify two such similar bikes, I have to stay with my DR; granted, it said bye bye to stock form a long time ago, but now it seems to be better suited as a tool that can also be ridden as a hooligan while the WR seems to be first a toy that can be modded to be used as a tool.

... Another thing that struck me was the total lack of tie down points on the WR without adding aftermarket racks, which tells me something about the original purpose of this bike. I ride with a group of ADVers that absolutely fly on their WR's, but I'm going to stay with Thing 1 for now, even though I still have doubts. The WR will be on the Flea Market soon.
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #33
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
I had an 08 WR250r and hated it. The thing was heavy and slow while the DR is heavy and fast. The suspension is a sink bug I freakin hated it! I would never sell a DR for a WR! You should buy a HuskyTE250 or 310 or KTM EXE and keep your DR because there is no such thing as a true dualsport they are all a compromise. You need 2 bikes one for dirt and one for street the TE is a perfect dirt/street 70/30 and DR is a perfect 30/70.
KEEP BOTH!

Blake
Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #34
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 604
Ive literally had 9 bikes (and ridden 5 more) in the last 8 months: TEs, DRs, DRZs, XRs, WRs Trying to find THE ONE

Ive ended up with a super built XR250-->300 kit, rev happy,non-dot, with $$ suspension for woods a plate for getting there and back AND a XR600R with a plate for "street", dirt rds, and such. It will do trails all day, just takes more work

The XR600 and WR250 weigh the same too!! I'll kick the shit out of it for x3 the power

I've only got $3k in both, which cost wayyyyy less than either of my single TEs. I LOVED the Huskies, but for my skill level, budget, and range of riding, I ended up with 2 bikes

Just find a way to make two bikes in your budget; blood bank, sperm bank, loans, girlfriends paypal account, whatever.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #35
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 604
I'm (un)patiently waiting for the MODERN 350-450cc dual sport motor/tranny from and manufacturer.

KTM, Honda, Yami, i don't care.

That ----could---- be THE ONE. Will still be too porky probably
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #36
allroadrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
DR or WR

I have had both a DR with a lot of mods and a WR with a lot of mods and enjoyed them both the WR was a great trail bike and not bad on the road while the DR was a great road bike and not bad on the trails. I have recently replaced them both with a KTM 690 but still have fond memories of both the DR & WR I finally sold the WR because every time I wanted to do a group ride I would take the WR rather than the KTM because I was so used to the bike.
both bike were very reliable
ARR
allroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #37
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Ive literally had 9 bikes (and ridden 5 more) in the last 8 months: TEs, DRs, DRZs, XRs, WRs Trying to find THE ONE

Ive ended up with a super built XR250-->300 kit, rev happy,non-dot, with $$ suspension for woods a plate for getting there and back AND a XR600R with a plate for "street", dirt rds, and such. It will do trails all day, just takes more work

The XR600 and WR250 weigh the same too!! I'll kick the shit out of it for x3 the power

I've only got $3k in both, which cost wayyyyy less than either of my single TEs. I LOVED the Huskies, but for my skill level, budget, and range of riding, I ended up with 2 bikes

Just find a way to make two bikes in your budget; blood bank, sperm bank, loans, girlfriends paypal account, whatever.
Great combo I had a non-plated XR250r and loved it you have one plated !
I had a hard time keeping up with bigger bikes on the WR constantly shifting and revving and shifting and shifting! I also hated the God awful noise from the bottom of the motor once I installed the bash plate!

I have the TE250 only because it was an $0 trade for my 05 DRz400s which was a great 60/40 and I really liked the DRz. I just upgraded my sons ttr125le to a CRF230l and like it OK but there is nothing I have ridden with a plate as supreme as the TE including the new 2013 500exc.
I would love a 650 and my twin brother has a DR650 and loves it but I am on the fence between the DR and XR and next weekend I am riding his for a test. I had a 640 and it was so vibey I was in hell so I would not think the 690 as being better but I know people take them on long hauls but not me!

Blake
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #38
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
The 690 tends to be smoother than the 640s. The gearspread is a bit wider too.

IMO, the WRR and DR do a lot of similar things well, but with a different bias. The DR is a tractoring packmule that is smooth on slab. The WRR is a revvy chunk of a dirtbike with lights and a smooth motor. Riding solo on rev-friendly terrain, I'd lean WRR. Riding heavy/2up, and/or in torque-sucking terrain, I'd lean DR. Either bike will do both, but you'll notice a definite bias.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #39
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
The 690 tends to be smoother than the 640s. The gearspread is a bit wider too.

IMO, the WRR and DR do a lot of similar things well, but with a different bias. The DR is a tractoring packmule that is smooth on slab. The WRR is a revvy chunk of a dirtbike with lights and a smooth motor. Riding solo on rev-friendly terrain, I'd lean WRR. Riding heavy/2up, and/or in torque-sucking terrain, I'd lean DR. Either bike will do both, but you'll notice a definite bias.
I have ridden the KLX250 KLX300r and the old XR250r and the WR250r has a bit more HP over them but the power is made way up on the moon in RPMs. The WR250r has nothing down low where as the XR and KLX's are more low end for grunt and punch. The WR250r came from a R1 which because it has 4 cylinders and that they rev to the moon it kicks but. Take away 3 cylinders and you have a rev happy motor with no guts which in the end only makes for an OK 50/50 bike. I feel you need punch off and on road and the WR250r is too smooth like a sewing machine with no thrill and no fun but it does get you there. I even tried to change the gearing on the WR and it did not help.
I also had the DRz400s with all the mods done and it was great 60/40 bike with loads of torque which is why you need displacement on the older bikes to get the torque you need.
My new bike is light has fuel injected open air box that hits like crazy with instant MX like throttle response which you can rev to the moon but is geared low enough to pull wheelies all day down low. The fun 82 MPH 2008 TE250. It sucks on the street but great off road a pure 20/80 bike.
Compare the DR to the WR... The DR650 is like whisky and the WR250r like a wine cooler they both get the job done in the end but they are much different.

ohenry screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 10:14 AM
ohenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #40
dogjaw
plays well alone

I recently added a pumper carb to my DR; instant arm pulling torque, but also very smooth at low speeds. I still love my WR, but the rush when you whack that throttle just isn't there...
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #41
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I've owned both, I have a WR250R now and really like it. While the WR is fine on the highway if highway is more important go with the DR650. Offroad there is simply no comparison, go with the WR.

BTW, I modded my DR650 about as far as you can go without putting new forks on. Waste of money. It absolutely needs new springs and a fork brace. But new shock, emulators, pumper carb, all that was expensive and just little incremental improvements to a 350 pound mush bike. Leave it mostly stock ... and enjoy (crashing).

If I could pick up a DR650 cheap I might go the bigbore route to make the scrambler NOBODY will make. Well maybe Husky does now.

Once you get use to the WR250R powerband that feeling of "nothing low down" goes away.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #42
dogjaw
plays well alone

Have both, ride both extensively; didn't go away...YMMV