ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #13306
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
It was good to see her and hear about her new gypsy life style.
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #13307
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Ethanol free Tucson fuel stations

Howdy Folks -

I am battling a ping issue on a new BMW GSA under some rather harsh engine conditions (I tend to be quite twisty with the right hand).

Anyone know of any ethanol free fuel stations in Tucson? I would like to try some Ethanol free 91 and see if this problem continues.

If you know of any fuel stations within a good 50(ish) miles of Tucson that don't blend with ethanol, holler!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #13308
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
pictures from Friday's ride
Willow Springs-Florence-Gila River

pictures from Saturday's ride
Redington-Mt Lemmon 2012
Yay! Good pictures Ron!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #13309
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Big Bend Christmas Trip gauging interest

Ride Name: Big Bend Christmas Trip
Date: Departing December 23/24? TBD
Meeting time: 0600
Meeting location: Houghton parking area north of I10
Estimated Length of Ride: 12-14 days; December 23/24-Jan 5th
Difficulty: 1000 miles+ of dirt! 3,000ish total miles. Should be easy(er). I am riding a 600 lb bike with camping gear and food provisions
Notes: read below

Howdy Folks -

I'm in the midst of planning of a Christmas Holiday on the motorcycle. 6 days of vacation from work net me a total of 15 consecutive days off from work. Needless to say, I plan to spend those day living out of the motorcycle; the way a proper holiday should be spent . Right now, I don't have any companions on this trip . Even my SO is unable to take time off, so this is currently a solo trip. I apologize for the late posting given the potential magnitude of the trip. My original plans to Baja with a few buddies fell through due to scheduling and prep time. So, last weekend I start planning my backup trip, which is now my only trip, and the trip that I currently don't have any buddies tagging along with.

I have spent a fair bit of time researching routes and things to do. My goal is to get to Big Bend National Park area from Tucson using as many feasible dirt roads as possible. That is my reason for posting most of the daily routes with Bing Maps, they allow routing with smaller secondary/tertiary roads.

So, If you have a wide open Christmas break and want to tag along on a well planned trip - hit me up! I am a bit type A with planning, well, more like researching; while out on the trail I may deviate from the plan with knowledge of the surrounding area. I suppose the route doesn't deviate that much, but the timing may (you know how it is, finding fun alternative smaller dirt roads to the plan and spend more time exploring those and not really progressing along the planned route while the sun continues to set and you find a place a hundred or so miles from your planned destination for the night). This will be a cooler trip - I will be sporting heated gear. I also plan to tent most/all of the nights with the exception if a storm rolls through; in that case I will probably be in a hotel keeping dry / not snowy.

Anyways, this trip should be a good hearty chunk of hella fun man time. If you want to tag along for the whole route - yay! If you have time for a few days - great! Come out and have fun, then ride home to entertain the inlaws or whatever responsible grown ups do

Here is a link to the public dropbox folder that contains the word doc that acts as notes/itinerary and the good earth files that I will convert to .gpx format and toss on the GPS.

I have national forest maps for Lincoln National Forest in NM, Delorme Atlas & Gazetteers for NM and TX, AAA state maps, and a specific map for Big Bend. I am very much a bing sat map/google earth road researcher, so the entirety of the route thus far seems to be reasonably passable by bikes according to imagery.

The itinerary and GE files are works in progress. I hope to finalize the Big Bend trip research this weekend and update the dropbox folder with the latest itinerary and Google Earth files.

If you're interested in a Christmas motorcycle holiday, hit me up! All parties interested, we will meet in person December 21 or 22 to discuss any pending matters and to allow me time to discuss the objectives and details of the route. Of course, we can be in contact by email/phone beforehand to discuss whatever.

Cheers,

Speedy

SpeedySteve screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 11:42 PM
SpeedySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #13310
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 134
Glad to have found this Tucson board!! Have the time off but already have Baja trip in the works. BUT - nice to see this stuff, and hope I can join another time! Still haven't made it to Big Bend and it's been on "the list" for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySteve View Post
Ride Name: Big Bend Christmas Trip
Date: Departing December 23/24? TBD
Meeting time: 0600
Meeting location: Houghton parking area north of I10
Estimated Length of Ride: 12-14 days; December 23/24-Jan 5th
Difficulty: 1000 miles+ of dirt! 3,000ish total miles. Should be easy(er). I am riding a 600 lb bike with camping gear and food provisions
Notes: read below

Howdy Folks -

I'm in the midst of planning of a Christmas Holiday on the motorcycle. 6 days of vacation from work net me a total of 15 consecutive days off from work. Needless to say, I plan to spend those day living out of the motorcycle; the way a proper holiday should be spent . Right now, I don't have any companions on this trip . Even my SO is unable to take time off, so this is currently a solo trip. I apologize for the late posting given the potential magnitude of the trip. My original plans to Baja with a few buddies fell through due to scheduling and prep time. So, last weekend I start planning my backup trip, which is now my only trip, and the trip that I currently don't have any buddies tagging along with.

I have spent a fair bit of time researching routes and things to do. My goal is to get to Big Bend National Park area from Tucson using as many feasible dirt roads as possible. That is my reason for posting most of the daily routes with Bing Maps, they allow routing with smaller secondary/tertiary roads.

So, If you have a wide open Christmas break and want to tag along on a well planned trip - hit me up! I am a bit type A with planning, well, more like researching; while out on the trail I may deviate from the plan with knowledge of the surrounding area. I suppose the route doesn't deviate that much, but the timing may (you know how it is, finding fun alternative smaller dirt roads to the plan and spend more time exploring those and not really progressing along the planned route while the sun continues to set and you find a place a hundred or so miles from your planned destination for the night). This will be a cooler trip - I will be sporting heated gear. I also plan to tent most/all of the nights with the exception if a storm rolls through; in that case I will probably be in a hotel keeping dry / not snowy.

Anyways, this trip should be a good hearty chunk of hella fun man time. If you want to tag along for the whole route - yay! If you have time for a few days - great! Come out and have fun, then ride home to entertain the inlaws or whatever responsible grown ups do

Here is a link to the public dropbox folder that contains the word doc that acts as notes/itinerary and the good earth files that I will convert to .gpx format and toss on the GPS.

I have national forest maps for Lincoln National Forest in NM, Delorme Atlas & Gazetteers for NM and TX, AAA state maps, and a specific map for Big Bend. I am very much a bing sat map/google earth road researcher, so the entirety of the route thus far seems to be reasonably passable by bikes according to imagery.

The itinerary and GE files are works in progress. I hope to finalize the Big Bend trip research this weekend and update the dropbox folder with the latest itinerary and Google Earth files.

If you're interested in a Christmas motorcycle holiday, hit me up! All parties interested, we will meet in person December 21 or 22 to discuss any pending matters and to allow me time to discuss the objectives and details of the route. Of course, we can be in contact by email/phone beforehand to discuss whatever.

Cheers,

Speedy
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #13311
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
Glad to have found this Tucson board!! Have the time off but already have Baja trip in the works. BUT - nice to see this stuff, and hope I can join another time! Still haven't made it to Big Bend and it's been on "the list" for a while now.
My initial plans were Baja for this holidays as well. However, the $500 entry fee of insurance, tourist permit and fishing license was rather a deterrent.

Have fun in Baja though! Looks like a fun place.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #13312
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Need help posting pics.

Greetings Tucson! I am trying to figure out how to post pics to the ADVrider forum. I have a few thing to sell in the flee market. Could somebody provide me a synopsis on how to? Thank you!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #13313
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
Greetings Tucson! I am trying to figure out how to post pics to the ADVrider forum. I have a few thing to sell in the flee market. Could somebody provide me a synopsis on how to? Thank you!
Here ya go:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #13314
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
My initial plans were Baja for this holidays as well. However, the $500 entry fee of insurance, tourist permit and fishing license was rather a deterrent.
I hear ya. I seem to be racking up a number of "Aw, it's only 50 bucks" costs. My trip is shortened from original - looking at it as a "Mexico practice trip" for what will be an extended Mexico trip in May.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #13315
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Breaking my way to a second bike

So an afternoon ride in the Santa Rita's with a minor tip-over may have cost me one broken GSA aux light but may have opened the door for the XR650R I been wanting. After arriving home a little earlier then briefed, my wife comes into the garage were I am putting things away and holding the broken light. After exmining the situation and with no comments from me, she states, "maybe it would be cheaper for the family if you got that less expensive second bike, instead of having to replace parts on this one after every ride?" YESSSSSSSS!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #13316
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
dirt route to Yuma

I am looking for a mostly dirt route from Tucson to Yuma. If you have any tracks or a route that you know of, can you let me know?

Ron
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #13317
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
I am looking for a mostly dirt route from Tucson to Yuma. If you have any tracks or a route that you know of, can you let me know?

Ron
I've done some mild research on this. There's some dirt that I kind of know of between here and Ajo but I personally don't know of a reliable dirt way through.

The more reliable part of the dirt route that is less exploration is "el camino del diablo" or the devil's highway, which will take you from a point south of ajo all the way basically to yuma. Hopefully others will have more detailed directions or tracks of this route, I'm sure it's popular enough for there to be some gps tracks. If you just look on google maps it starts up near the border and highway 85.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #13318
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySteve View Post

Have fun in Baja though! Looks like a fun place.
Where did you get information on a fishing license? Once when I went down to camp in Mexico I tried to get a fishing license and even wasted an hour or more asking around at the border crossing in Nogales but nobody had any idea about getting one.

I still fished but since I didn't have the paperwork I was kind of glad I didn't catch anything.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #13319
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
Where did you get information on a fishing license? Once when I went down to camp in Mexico I tried to get a fishing license and even wasted an hour or more asking around at the border crossing in Nogales but nobody had any idea about getting one.

I still fished but since I didn't have the paperwork I was kind of glad I didn't catch anything.

Chad
if you hire a boat, the captain can get your license.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #13320
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Mexican fishing licenses can be bought through the Oficina de Pesca.

I'm pretty sure you don't need one to fish salt water from the shore - not sure about fresh water.