Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Best wishes and can't wait to get the updates. I think the Tiger will make you a fine mount for this event.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
dino246 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
First Step

The latest update, installing the Wilbers shock this Friday. Preparing for my saddle sore trip on January 5th. My friend AMD I will be leaving early Saturday morning and heading west on interstate 20 to willcox Arizona from Odessa Texas and turning around and coming back. The trip is 525 each way.

I'll take pictures along the way.
dino246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
As always, it's not the bike but the rider. I've done silly mileage runs on sportbikes but TBH I would rather do it where I can enjoy the ride.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,966
If you're not a member of the IBA already, it's going to be very difficult for you to get a place on the starting line at this juncture in time. There are places left for previous participants and the remaining spots are filled by a lottery. Spots are HIGHLY coveted - there many that never get chosen

Have you submitted any entry paperwork yet? Because if you haven't, this is something you should probably be aware of:

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/ibr/2013/index.html

Sorry if I'm a killjoy.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,932
Sounds like your heading in the right direction. Good planning and practice. Just finishing is an honor! I think a major aspect is be comfortable on the bike for a long, long, long time. That will make your life/world much better. If the seat/riding position gives you any grief after 2-3 days you better look at some upgrades in seating and bar position. Keep in mind I am NOT an IBA rider though I have done 1200 miles in one day on a KLR...... I WAS chasing my dick and rode the last 200 miles standing as my ass had given up.... The final outcome did NOT end well......

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

Have you submitted any entry paperwork yet? Because if you haven't, this is something you should probably be aware of:

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/ibr/2013/index.html

Sorry if I'm a killjoy.
This.....
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Sorry if I'm a killjoy.
I was trying to subtly be a killjoy. The "I just want to finish" entrants were weeded out of the IBR years ago, especially with the scoring system. There are plenty of other rallies that are good for this.

In any case, I want to be in the olympics next year. Will my Reeboks cut it?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
I was trying to subtly be a killjoy. The "I just want to finish" entrants were weeded out of the IBR years ago, especially with the scoring system. There are plenty of other rallies that are good for this.

In any case, I want to be in the olympics next year. Will my Reeboks cut it?
Screw being subtle. I'm an IBA member with multiple certificate rides and rallies under my belt. I have no doubt that i couldn't complete the IBR. It's not something you set out to do on a whim.

Either the OP is just a little naive or the worlds biggest troll.

C-Stain screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 01:08 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #24
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino246 View Post
I get about 40-45 mpg loaded which would give me a range of 450-500 miles. The chain lube I use says it will go 500 miles between applications.
IME, running down the slab at 90+ gave my Girlie 30mpg. This was fully loaded. Mpg was in the 40's if kept under 80mph.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
dino246 OP
Adventurer

I am not doing the IBR in 2013 but 2015. I will be building upto it by doing the saddle sore in January, and othe one day ans multiple day rallys so that by 2015 I am ready. I am a novice but not naive.
I love my bike and it has many positive qualities, as a starter bike it will be fine. Now for the big rally we shall see how she does, I don't want to be first but I do think I can be competitive.

I will keep yall posted.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #26
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino246 View Post
I am not doing the IBR in 2013 but 2015. I will be building upto it by doing the saddle sore in January, and othe one day ans multiple day rallys so that by 2015 I am ready. I am a novice but not naive.
I love my bike and it has many positive qualities, as a starter bike it will be fine. Now for the big rally we shall see how she does, I don't want to be first but I do think I can be competitive.

I will keep yall posted.
Please spend some time on the Iron Butt Association Website and Forums.

http://www.ironbutt.com

While I admire your perseverance and go get 'em attitude, I truly hope you understand that there is NO guarantee that you will be selected to ride in the 2015 IBR. Its not a "show up and ride" rally - its participants are chosen via lottery or raffle.

Alternatively, you should really consider taking part in some "Rallies" and not just certificate rides. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Rallies are more reading comprehension and deduction under fatigue and duress. That a big change from choosing a route and riding it.

C.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
dino246 OP
Adventurer

I appreciate all of the positive encouragement and words of wisdom.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #28
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Please spend some time on the Iron Butt Association Website and Forums.

http://www.ironbutt.com

While I admire your perseverance and go get 'em attitude, I truly hope you understand that there is NO guarantee that you will be selected to ride in the 2015 IBR. Its not a "show up and ride" rally - its participants are chosen via lottery or raffle.

Alternatively, you should really consider taking part in some "Rallies" and not just certificate rides. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Rallies are more reading comprehension and deduction under fatigue and duress. That a big change from choosing a route and riding it.

C.
Also you can win a starting slot, by winning certain rallies held all over the country.

Also +1 on doing rallies, They are much more challenging than doing the certification rides. Think 3d chess game

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #29
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Best of luck dino, don't let folks discourage you. Stay the course, stiff upper lip and all that rot, do the leg work, practice and plan. If you don't make 2015 then work harder and make the next.
I think something like 500+ people have done the IBA, why not you?
Ignore the "hatters" and go for it!