Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #196
beergut OP
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Hell, I'M still riding to work! *

40 degrees, Chicago, December . . . . how cool is that!

Bricka Bracka
Fiyah Crackah
Sis
Boom
Bah
Global Warming
Global Warming
Rah
Rah
RAH

*Full disclosure, not my on KLR -- can't run heated gear AND headlight until I rewire the poor dear.
LED headlight and HID high beam takes care of that issue. Want to take it a step further...pop LED's in the dash also. The truck stop has em for $6/pr
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #197
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Hell, I'M still riding to work! *

40 degrees, Chicago, December . . . . how cool is that!

Bricka Bracka
Fiyah Crackah
Sis
Boom
Bah
Global Warming
Global Warming
Rah
Rah
RAH

*Full disclosure, not my on KLR -- can't run heated gear AND headlight until I rewire the poor dear.
I'm running a Britannia HID fairing (35 watts low beam, 70 high), and an LED tail lamp on my '07, and can ride long distances with my 90 watt jacket liner cranked pretty far into the hot zone. It's a balancing act when the high beam is on, but it works. Mount a voltage meter and keep an eye on it. For all the crap that is thrown around about the KLR, it's a competent machine.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #198
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I'm running a Britannia HID fairing (35 watts low beam, 70 high), and an LED tail lamp on my '07, and can ride long distances with my 90 watt jacket liner cranked pretty far into the hot zone. It's a balancing act when the high beam is on, but it works. Mount a voltage meter and keep an eye on it. For all the crap that is thrown around about the KLR, it's a competent machine.

Can -- thanks for the data . . . . . .while I like the Britannia products, I like the cut down screen (3.5 / 4 inches) on my stock fairing (for when I fall off road ;-} . . . .. )

I'm hoping to keep the stock headlamp, as well, primarily for ease of servicing out in the Thulies . . . . .

I am confident that increasing the wire guage in the charging circuit, LEDs in the tail light and dash (already done), and MAYBE installing a gen 2 stator, will allow the 65 watt jacket liner and 10 watt gloves to run with the headlamp on.

My voltage meter tells me I'm only little off, so my fingers are crossed.

The KLR is exactly what I expected it to be . . . and I'm diggin it to pieces!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #199
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,872
Quote:
I am confident that increasing the wire guage in the charging circuit, LEDs in the tail light and dash (already done), and MAYBE installing a gen 2 stator, will allow the 65 watt jacket liner and 10 watt gloves to run with the headlamp on.
Might be in the, "too hard," box . . . Generation 2 stator has no exciter coil for the CDI (becuse, Generation 2 KLR650's have no CDI's).
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #200
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832

Pic on the Salar de Uyuni at 12,000 feet, from Doogle's fun klr2tdf Ride Report:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641039

It's pretty short (14 pages) ... great pics, and fun to keep track of what does not go wrong with his KLR ...

All my single-cylinder KTM pals truck their bikes to rallies, too ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #201
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn;20201403
Pic on the Salar de Uyuni at 12,000 feet, from Doogle's fun klr2tdf Ride Report:
[URL="http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641039"
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641039[/URL]

It's pretty short (14 pages) ... great pics, and fun to keep track of what does not go wrong with his KLR ...

-- SFMCjohn
I'm gettin' a hernia just thinkin' of hauling that bike out of the slime under that salt crust!

Great pic!
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #202
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:

-- SFMCjohn
Why waste the tires just to get to the good stuff? No honor in superslabbing. Especially when i have a nice truck and a limited schedule

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #203
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Yes they were out before that, but were not classified as an adventure style bike. Klr had wind protection and was geared more for the slab than the others. And had more room for the rider. I owned an 88 xl600, and the cockpit was way cramped, same with the Dr and xrl. The klr had more room between the seat and the pegs.
Europe got many Japanese "adventure" bikes, starting really in the late 70's into the 80's. The Dakar thing was on fire there ... very few of these came to the USA. Honda had several versions (Africa Twin, XL), Suzuki too, including the DR BIG, Yamaha had the original Tenere bikes. All were ahead of the KLR.

... ironically, Kawasaki never participated in the Dakar in those years ... far as I know. (maybe some privateers?) So really, the original KLR was just a copy of what all the other big four were selling in Europe. By the 90's those styles were fading in the EU ... but the KLR never changed. Probably why it never sold well ... and was never understood ... in Europe.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #204
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I love this thread -- it makes me feel so smart ;-}
you got that right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Oh? 1979 called, they want their facts back. BMW "invented" the adventure-touring segment.
We didn't call it "adventure touring" at the time, but Honda and Yamaha were building what were essentially adventure dual sport bikes going back well into the early to mid 70's. As time went on, more CC's were added. They ALL were dual sport, street legal. Then came Dakar ... BMW were there, but certainly weren't first.

Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha ... and finally Kawasaki all built Dakar replicas starting in the early 80's. Europe got these bikes, we didn't. (save the KLR)

But Hondas XL's and Yamaha's XT's had been well established long before BMW ever decided to enter this segment ... which they did because it was a growing and profitable area and they were in serious trouble financially at the time. But for BMW ... it took YEARS ... to turn a profit selling the GS's.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #205
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Can -- thanks for the data . . . . . .while I like the Britannia products, I like the cut down screen (3.5 / 4 inches) on my stock fairing (for when I fall off road ;-} . . . .. )

I'm hoping to keep the stock headlamp, as well, primarily for ease of servicing out in the Thulies . . . . .

My voltage meter tells me I'm only little off, so my fingers are crossed.

The KLR is exactly what I expected it to be . . . and I'm diggin it to pieces!
You can save some wattage by putting a h4 35w hid kit in your stock housing. Have a look around. Make sure you get 4300k version, anything higher will be stupid blue color and decrease light output.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #206
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Why waste the tires just to get to the good stuff? No honor in superslabbing. Especially when i have a nice truck and a limited schedule

Only reason to take the truck is if the bike isn't plated. Hell, I'll even ride 'em without the plate.

Trucks are a waste of money and no fun.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #207
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 112
This may have something to do with the sales numbers.............

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=197
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #208
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Only reason to take the truck is if the bike isn't plated. Hell, I'll even ride 'em without the plate.

Trucks are a waste of money and no fun.
sweet xrr buddy!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #209
dirthackjob
n00b

Oddometer: 9
klr hp

beergut, have you tried jetting your KLR? So far all I have done is go one size up on both the main and idle jets and can feel a difference. I have no problem keeping up with my friend on his DR650.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #210
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 63
What year is your klr? My brother bought a 2012 not too long ago. he's hardly ridden it. I wonder if i should swap the jets for him. I just went up on my jets on my 1994 XR600R and the bike feels so much better and starts easier. (kick)