ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #49846
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
Fritz you hurt me allot !

Never have I claimed to be one of them Engineers.... I was and am a technician, my brain wasn't removed of all practical common sence at graduation.( i kid i kid)
You’re a Technician.
Then I’ll need to make my case in much, simpler terms.
It is like driving a truck without a steering wheel trying to make adjustments to something that cannot be accurately measured. You are just ambling along swerving from one ditch to the other. Knowing more precisely where you are allows you to position your truck where you want it to be in the lane.
Why would ANYBODY, let alone a technician, go to the trouble to measure sag? To even get close you need an assistant. It just struck me like a bolt of lightning, more Technicians need, job security.
All you need is the bike on a stand and a metal ruler to measure spring length and the measurement will be spot on.










__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #49847
Dooga
Adventure Tourer
 
Dooga's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Oddometer: 275
Installed my Moose skid plate, noticed my oil was disastrously low and topped up. Added Hippo Ears.
__________________
1995 BMW K1100LT
Dooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #49848
bomber1965
Duel
 
bomber1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 2,787
XR650L owners are always asking how to get the airbox into the frame with the shock installed. This owner made a video.



Jump to the 3 minute mark if your in a hurry.....







bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #49849
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker
 
Schultz!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Warren Michigan
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You’re a Technician.
Then I’ll need to make my case in much, simpler terms.
It is like driving a truck without a steering wheel trying to make adjustments to something that cannot be accurately measured. You are just ambling along swerving from one ditch to the other. Knowing more precisely where you are allows you to position your truck where you want it to be in the lane.
Why would ANYBODY, let alone a technician, go to the trouble to measure sag? To even get close you need an assistant. It just struck me like a bolt of lightning, more Technicians need, job security.
All you need is the bike on a stand and a metal ruler to measure spring length and the measurement will be spot on.














Funny you mention a truck with "suggestive" steering my 93 ram W250 handles just as you describe and it has one of them new fangled steering wheels


As far as sag vs shock spring measurement all I can say is this if you want to account for the ratio of the suspension measure sag, if you don't want to account for the suspension ratio measure the shock spring.

What was the mercury girls number again... I could use her "assistance" in measuring some "sag"
__________________
lots of dismantled parts to a 2007 XR650L
Schultz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #49850
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ben99r1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Pomona, Calif.
Oddometer: 2,969
xr600 exhaust update.

I tested out my xr650l with a xr600 exhaust without the insert. It is a little loud for highway speeds. But with earplugs or headphone help to reduce the drone. On the trail it helped a lot with throthol response. I really think that it added more power to the bike. I am getting some popping on decel. Anyone running this set up did you have to rejet the carb? I have Dave's mod done rt know. But am thinking I might have to go up to 55/160 or 55/162.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #49851
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I tested out my xr650l with a xr600 exhaust without the insert. It is a little loud for highway speeds. But with earplugs or headphone help to reduce the drone. On the trail it helped a lot with throthol response. I really think that it added more power to the bike. I am getting some popping on decel. Anyone running this set up did you have to rejet the carb? I have Dave's mod done rt know. But am thinking I might have to go up to 55/160 or 55/162.
With my insert removed I had popping on developing. After swapping in a 55/158 combo the popping is much better. I found it too loud on the highway without the insert, but it is great with my modified insert.

I did Dave's mod and have snorkel removed and k&n filter. 2.5 turns out on mixture with insert removed iirc
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #49852
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer
 
mendoteach's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Mendocino, NorCal
Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
Funny you mention a truck with "suggestive" steering my 93 ram W250 handles just as you describe and it has one of them new fangled steering wheels


As far as sag vs shock spring measurement all I can say is this if you want to account for the ratio of the suspension measure sag, if you don't want to account for the suspension ratio measure the shock spring.

What was the mercury girls number again... I could use her "assistance" in measuring some "sag"

I doubt you would have much sag if you got a hold of her and she came over Maybe lift, but no sag.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #49853
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
Funny you mention a truck with "suggestive" steering my 93 ram W250 handles just as you describe and it has one of them new fangled steering wheels


As far as sag vs shock spring measurement all I can say is this if you want to account for the ratio of the suspension measure sag, if you don't want to account for the suspension ratio measure the shock spring.

What was the mercury girls number again... I could use her "assistance" in measuring some "sag"
Sag should only be a measure of boobs.
Jill is OK as is!
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #49854
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer
 
mendoteach's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Mendocino, NorCal
Oddometer: 1,381
Anyone ?


What oil you all run ?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #49855
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,276
Sent my motor off to CW. looking forward to the results. Have a ride in Baja at the end of Jan. Maybe time to do some suspension service while I have the bike apart.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #49856
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
Installed my Moose skid plate, noticed my oil was disastrously low and topped up. Added Hippo Ears.
Hey, Dooga,

Those Hippo Ears are huge! Tell us what you think of them. Are there any other brands that you considered? Do they come off easily? And, do you have bark busters installed underneath them?

PD
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #49857
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ben99r1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Pomona, Calif.
Oddometer: 2,969
looking for a rt side panel for the L

Does anyone have a right side panel?(exhaust side) I crashed on the trail and it melted. I am looking to buy one, does anyone have one for sale in white?
Thanks Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #49858
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer
 
smokeeater495's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: N.E. Indiana
Oddometer: 561
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XR650L-RIGHT...ed5a3a&vxp=mtr
__________________
Harley, been there done that. Don't want to be a pirate.
smokeeater495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #49859
my6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
my6's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Spring Branch/Houston,Texas
Oddometer: 334
Pissed

What a way to start. After several months of this, that and a ton of frustration I finally got my scoot rideable and semi trustworthy. Saturday afternoon I took it out for it's maiden ride with my butt on it around the hood. I'm thinking how cool it's gonna be to finally meet up with some of the guys I've been talking to here and elsewhere and I'm smiling bigtime inside my helmet. I'm within a mile from my garage cruising along at about 45mph coming up on only my second stop sign and wouldn't ya know it. A guy in a SUV, staring right at me mind you, pulls right out in front of me and I lock up the brakes and skid within two feet of his rear end. Thank the lord for the skills I've learned over the past 40 years of riding/racing and a pair of new brake pads!!!
__________________
Check your Six
04/625 SXC,
my6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #49860
SmokeBike
Adventurer
 
SmokeBike's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: The city of high taxes
Oddometer: 29
New guy....

Hi all.

Been a 650L rider and a KTM300 xcw woods rider for some time. Just found this post. Awesome, you will be seeing more of me as time goes on !!
SmokeBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014