Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #661
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 760
So Shoot me!

So I keep looking!

I find it theraputic for me to come look and see "WHATS UP". Even if nuttin is new, I still flip thru the pic's for old times sake.

It's time for more ridereport as I am starting to get the shakes.
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #662
Gentleman Adventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Great Adventure

Just spent my free time over the last few days reading this great RR.

I hope the Tonga trip is going well.

Look forward to the next chapters in the Ride.

Blessings to you both!!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #663
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Wow, super fantastic!

Took me about three days to read through this and it's got me all sorts of pumped. You guys are great, especially for honoring a loved one in such a way. I can't wait to learn about your further travels, and might have to go back and check out your Uraling's.

Some thoughts on your fender. Sorry if it's been hashed to death or if this has been suggested: Sometimes fenders like to be suspended because they have a nasty habit of being a thin flexible sheet of metal on a big contraption that encounters (and creates) a lot of vibration. The whole thing flexes and eventually fails.

I would recommend some flanged washers that will essentially allow the bolts to tighten to the frame. Think a tophat with the top punched out. The flange holds the fender down, but isn't tight against it. Use some rubber or leather washers above and below the fender to absorb the space and vibration.

As far as the frame section that holds the fender to the rig I didn't really see how it was exactly put together, but I'm guessing the whole unit is flexing enough to cause the failure. You guys sure are loaded down! I hope you find a good solution to the problem, which probably also has something to do with the fender bolts failing.

Good luck and I can't wait for more updates! Lojack
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #664
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
I'm just back from the Job in WA. Sitting in the kitchen for breakfast. Reading my loved RR. . .

Thank you! Matt&Kris
It was great to have you along! Thanks so much for speaking into our trip. Can't wait for your RR... December right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
I have enjoyed this report journal so much. Great pics w/ thoughtful, descriptive commentary.

You mentioned how much effort it took to keep this thing up-to-date. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that appreciates that effort. Your travels were everything that an adventure should be, new places, stunning scenery, adversity and its defeat, sadness and joy, new friends, and, I hope, a feeling of accomplishing something very special.

Most of us will never have the opportunity to travel like you two. For me, living the adventure vicariously through your posts was a great escape from the responsibilities that sometimes weigh me down. I know that more than once I caught myself looking out the window w/ what must have been a 10,000 mile stare, thinking about your trip, imagining such an adventure of my own.

Looking forward to the next chapter, Matt & Kristen.

Thank you so much.

Roger
Roger - thanks so much for following along. We looked forward to the day AFTER every post to hear from you and others. It really has been a pleasure. I definitely am aware that not everyone has the opportunity to do what we did and I really can't express to you how humbled we feel by the whole thing. We're just both really thankful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Therese & I would also like to thank you guys for sharing your travels. We are still a ways out from taking our sidecar to South America, and your reports have been very inspiring.

I was wondering if you could provide more detail on shipping your rig back to the US. Did you have a crate made? Who did you use for import/export help?
Thanks for following along! I'm looking forward to reading about your trip in the future...

As far as the shipping went, we decided to do a RORO (roll on roll off) so no crate was necessary. It was also quite a bit cheaper. I have information on a guy in Cartagena if you're interested in getting some help. PM me if you'd like his info.

Again - thanks for reading and speaking into our trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
Maybe that should be my screen name!! I just found this RR, sorry for your loss.

I love the bike! Only on page 5 so far, but it looks like you'll have an amazing time.

The pix so far have been great, can't wait to see what's to come. Best of luck,I'M IN! Better late than never!

Quote:

Next up: Halloween in NYC.
If you imagine this shot, but at street level, that is what I saw on 9/12. I had a route to deliver, starting in Greenwich Village at 6 AM. It was deserted, I mean NO ONE. there was still debris coming down, with a heavy coat of ash, about an inch, on the ground. Having been there now, I'm sure you can picture it. It was so eerie, such a huge city, with no one out. Sorry for the hijack, that shot just kind of smacked me upside the head, so I had to comment.

On to better, happier things! Great shots of a great city![/QUOTE]

Quote:
If you ever get a chance, you should see Longwood at Christmas. The lighting and other displays, I think they do fireworks or a lightshow too. I'll bet you could get some hellacious pix of that!

RTM ROCKS! I live right across the river, I didn't even know there wre houseboats over there! I'm in trouble, I'm learnin' stuff, aww hell!

Stay safe!
Great to have you along no matter the timetable! Thanks so much for the encouragement.

As far as the shot from NYC, I can really only imagine. It was definitely an awful day in our nation's history but you witnessed something amazing and terrible...

Oh, and Longwood is pretty impressive. I don't think I've been to a place like it before. I'd love to see that place at Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeds View Post
Matt and Kristen:

Congratulations on a memory filled second leg of your discovery journey. I must say that your lives have captivated me since I first read about your trip to the Dempster back in the day. Being a fellow Texan I never doubted that you would make it and I eagerly followed your journey there and back.

I missed the ‘tween discovery trips, but stumbled back into ADV after a few years of enforced absence (the damned economy would not get off my back, so riding was out) to find a heart laden beginning to your current journey.

Your gift of the written word coupled with your and Kristens’ gifted eye kept me enthralled as I followed your adventures across Eastern North America and South America. Within the prose I recognized an enlightenment and calm as you and Kristen discovered yourselves. You personally are to be applauded for realizing the strength of your life partner and are to be doubly applauded for being willing to bear witness to your love and admiration for Kristen.

I look forward to your continued discoveries and growth. You are both very good people.

As a parting thought, as a film photographer of many decades I have struggled to recreate the magic and saturated colors of Kodachrome 25 in the digital era. Accepting that your full frame body is better than what I currently shoot (D20), I still believe I can get the look via post pro. Care to share some of your pro secrets with us plebs?
So good to hear from you.
Seriously, Kris and I are brought to tears knowing that our brothers and sisters at ADV were by our side for these journeys. It's a special community and I'm so happy that we have something to contribute.
Traveling in this way truly refined us and drew us together during a difficult time. Neither of us are fully healed, nor do I think we will ever be fully healed, but I do think that we are better people than when we began. We love each other better and serve our marriage more fully.

As far as the photography goes, I would first say that film is not dead. We have a ton of film cameras here in Texas (Kris traveled with her Leica) and we both believe that there are some things that digital just cannot reproduce. But, our Canon 5D mkII is pretty amazing. Canon has fantastic glass and both the bodies and lenses really held up to a beating. They don't look very nice at this point but they still work like new. Our post process is Digital Pro Photo (WB and saturation) - Aperture (organization) - Photoshop (clean up, artistic) - Aperture (batch file processing for internet). It's not the best or most efficient but it works. Shoot us a PM for any specific questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanjed View Post
Check out the Central Texas ADVer's thread, the guys in this group ride A LOT, and a good bunch of guys, I'm a humble member as well. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525841

Good luck, look forward to reading more.

Cavemanjed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaridersa View Post
Harvest Classic at Luckenbach is on next weekend, 12 & 13 Oct. If you two are around, a few of us will be leaving from the Boerne Denny's at 0900 to ride up together. We'll probably eat there beforehand. Hope to see you between rounds . . .
As soon as we get the bike fixed up (South America was not kind to BigBoi) we definitely want to tag along for some of these rides. Headed to Sealy this weekend for some welding work, as a matter of fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
A little hero worship is due here. Being somewhat consumed with my own ride now, I have let yours slip between the cracks. Until now. Sitting in my DC hotel room I have just completed the read on your truly wonderful trip. I am happy and somewhat relieved that you are both home safe and just gotta say that the writeup and photos were the best ever! Thankyou so much for the inspiration.
Toad
Your ride and pics are looking great! Well done.
Thanks for taking some time out to check out our RR - means a lot, especially since you're currently traveling!
Stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
So I keep looking!

I find it theraputic for me to come look and see "WHATS UP". Even if nuttin is new, I still flip thru the pic's for old times sake.

It's time for more ridereport as I am starting to get the shakes.
Hahah - that's awesome.
I actually need to write up a new post because we had something CRAZY happen while trying to get our bike back from US Customs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Adventurer View Post
Just spent my free time over the last few days reading this great RR.

I hope the Tonga trip is going well.

Look forward to the next chapters in the Ride.

Blessings to you both!!
Thanks for reading! It was a blast to put together.
Tonga was unreal. I am thinking of throwing a few pics up of the whales we photographed - maybe the coolest experience of my whole life.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Wow, super fantastic!

Took me about three days to read through this and it's got me all sorts of pumped. You guys are great, especially for honoring a loved one in such a way. I can't wait to learn about your further travels, and might have to go back and check out your Uraling's.

Some thoughts on your fender. Sorry if it's been hashed to death or if this has been suggested: Sometimes fenders like to be suspended because they have a nasty habit of being a thin flexible sheet of metal on a big contraption that encounters (and creates) a lot of vibration. The whole thing flexes and eventually fails.

I would recommend some flanged washers that will essentially allow the bolts to tighten to the frame. Think a tophat with the top punched out. The flange holds the fender down, but isn't tight against it. Use some rubber or leather washers above and below the fender to absorb the space and vibration.

As far as the frame section that holds the fender to the rig I didn't really see how it was exactly put together, but I'm guessing the whole unit is flexing enough to cause the failure. You guys sure are loaded down! I hope you find a good solution to the problem, which probably also has something to do with the fender bolts failing.

Good luck and I can't wait for more updates! Lojack
Thanks for checking out the RR! We were definitely a bit greener with the Ural but I will always love that trip. In fact, I'd really like to ride back to the Arctic again some day. Amazingly beautiful..

As far as the fender goes, I'll take all the information and advice I can get. I have a folder full of stuff on my computer so that when we do get it properly fixed, it is really FIXED. Yours is added to the folder now...

Thanks!
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #665
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post
It was great to have you along! Thanks so much for speaking into our trip. Can't wait for your RR... December right?
Jep. On the 7th of December we gone to the airport.

I deliver the hack to the transporter company.

The Tickets, the Hotel for the first days in Valparaiso is booked.

And I'm back for the next part of the job in WestAustralia. Couldn't wait to start

I'm nervous? Yes, I'm. . .

. . .as ever

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #666
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Welcome home

It's good to see you two made it home safely.

Some whale pix would be SWEET!

A link for your next adventure too, please. You two have become somewhat addictive to many of us who can't afford to travel right now.

THANK YOU BOTH!! Safe travels whereever you may go.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #667
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Week of Thanksgiving

As alway, I enjoy your updates. My wife and I and sis and her husband are going to be in Vanderpool the week of Thanksgiving. Plus a little foray into SA to see neices and family. If you see the Goldwing with the Hannigan around SA, flag us down. Hope all is well with you and your wife.
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #668
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Nah, the weather's fine! Overnight lows in the 20s but highs in the 50s. At any rate, you have a reason to come back this way. We raise our own sheep so there's always fresh lamb.

I really envy you both! My wife has a 100 mile butt (or the nearest Brooks Brothers outlet, whichever occurs first), so I gave up vacationing with her and travel instead with my golden, Barley.

Best of luck, and may this be therapeutic for both of you!
Ha , nice to read oneone in my boat so to speak :P
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #669
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 760
New Year

Still looking for the next chapter
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #670
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Yep, but we don't want to rush them.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #671
Irish John
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Soooo, when is the book coming out?
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #672
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Hey Kris&Matt!

It didn't work, to send an answer by your www.site, so we send you best wishes by this way

The Tourists

Mrs. and Mr.Horton

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #673
racki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post

We eventually made our way into Ica where I had a pretty serious clash with some mototaxi drivers and with the layout of the city in general (main roads lead directly into street markets over and over). Kristen thinks they’re cute, I personally see them more as giant mosquitos...

You may not like them, but judging by the sticker - this one is your friend!
And yes - I totally agree with what other mates said before. Simply stunning.
Bart
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #674
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
replies.

Quote:
Jep. On the 7th of December we gone to the airport.

I deliver the hack to the transporter company.

The Tickets, the Hotel for the first days in Valparaiso is booked.

And I'm back for the next part of the job in WestAustralia. Couldn't wait to start

I'm nervous? Yes, I'm. . .

. . .as ever
Horton - do you have a on-going report somewhere? i want to hear how things are going / went !

Quote:
It's good to see you two made it home safely.

Some whale pix would be SWEET!

A link for your next adventure too, please. You two have become somewhat addictive to many of us who can't afford to travel right now.

THANK YOU BOTH!! Safe travels whereever you may go.
i'll post up a video of our trip to Tonga (even though there are no motorcycles involved ) - it was pretty mind blowing, to say the least.

hope you're doing well - we're back in Texas trying to fund and plan our next trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
As alway, I enjoy your updates. My wife and I and sis and her husband are going to be in Vanderpool the week of Thanksgiving. Plus a little foray into SA to see neices and family. If you see the Goldwing with the Hannigan around SA, flag us down. Hope all is well with you and your wife.
sorry i missed you in SA - i realize it was several months ago. time flies! we're doing well. hope you and yours are as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Yep, but we don't want to rush them.

Happy New Year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
Still looking for the next chapter
me too! we're making good headway into getting the funds together for our next foray into world travel. can't wait to provide a legit update as that will mean we're ready to hit the road again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
Soooo, when is the book coming out?
we haven't made it around the globe yet!

Quote:
Hey Kris&Matt!

It didn't work, to send an answer by your www.site, so we send you best wishes by this way

The Tourists

Mrs. and Mr.Horton
awesome! i really want to see some more pics. hope the rig held up well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racki View Post
You may not like them, but judging by the sticker - this one is your friend!
And yes - I totally agree with what other mates said before. Simply stunning.
Bart
...more than meets the eye...
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #675
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
What's the word, thunderbird?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote