User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 902
Fly and ride Austin, TX to Jacksonville, FL

My search for a GSA is almost complete. I got interested in BMW 1200’s a few years ago due to my Father being a BMW guy (2004 RT). Due to a shortage of funds I wound up with a Ducati GT 1000 which I thoroughly enjoy around town and on short trips. Now it is time to step up something that is longer trip minded. After extensive searching I believe I have found the bike. This will be my first multiday trip. I am planning to make the trip in two days but have the time, and I am prepared to make the trip longer if necessary. I am looking for advice; I want to avoid having surprises.
My current plan: Fly in late the night before or early day of sale. Frist day 5-8 hours of riding and 5-8 the second day depending on conditions. My gear is a waterproof jacket and pants. I planning on bringing thermals and a second layer but not sure if I will need it. I have decent gloves and with the heated grip, I do not think I will need a heavy winter set. I also have a neck warmer I use to snowboard when it is cooler that seems to work well between my helmet and jacket. I will be bringing the bare minimum for toiletries and planning to stay in eastern Louisiana the first night. I have ridden other 1200’s before but planning on taking it easy for the first few hours, to familiarize myself with the motorcycle.
The GSA has panniers but no top box. I am planning on heading south east from Austin and take I-10 the rest of the way. What I am wondering and would appreciated advise on is what else I should be thinking about to be prepared?
Bobby Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,820
I think 8-10 hour days are more realistic for your ride. Don't forget when you head back east you are going to lose an hour. There is also a lot of road construction in the Baton Rouge area.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucandGSrider View Post
What I am wondering and would appreciated advise on is what else I should be thinking about to be prepared?
What you should be thinking about is the total buffoon you would be if you rode past Lockhart on your way from Austin to I-10 and didn't stop at this mecca of BBQ in this state. This town has been the subject of more Food Network specials on BBQ than any other place.

Skip the line at Franklin's right there in Austin. Aaron is a great guy and makes fine stuff but the line simply isn't worth it unless you're the type that can convince yourself that 2 hours in line must mean its the finest Q ever prepared.

A new bike and some new-to-you outstanding Q and your Austin trip will be complete.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,321
As a bonus, you'll be taking 130 which now has the distinction of being the fastest highway in the country at 85 posted.

This will allow you to wind that bike out, with the 5 mph bonus buffer of course, 10 if you're feeling lucky, so you can clock 95 as you detour slightly southwest from Austin to sample what Lockhart has to offer. Join I-10 at Seguin and then turn left to home.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 317
Skip I-10

Try going a bit further north and following US-84 instead. It is a much nicer road with little traffic.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:...cksonville.kml

I can send you the GPX file for this if you want. I went the other direction a few years back with my wife and daughter (wife on her bike, daughter on my bike) and it was great.

Wayne
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
Try going a bit further north and following US-84 instead. It is a much nicer road with little traffic.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:...cksonville.kml

I can send you the GPX file for this if you want. I went the other direction a few years back with my wife and daughter (wife on her bike, daughter on my bike) and it was great.

Wayne
/\ This.
Your first multi-day ride should not be an I-road marathon. Coast roads. ferries. Some fine dining in NOLA. That's much better.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Somehow I missed all these post...I’ll use the noob excuse. Great info guys, I think taking my time will be best. The deal in Austin fell through and now I am working on a deal in Virginia. This will be easy, limited time on 95, I will be A1A as much as possible, and I am pretty familiar with this route. Shrimp and grits in Charleston anyone?

New question, what is lowest temperature you guys would ride without heated gear? I have a trailer but would much prefer to ride it down.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucandGSrider View Post
New question, what is lowest temperature you guys would ride without heated gear? I have a trailer but would much prefer to ride it down.
The question is what do you feel comfortable doing. I actually don't own any heated gear and I've ridden all day in near 0 temps. It's really what you feel you can/should do.

Wayne
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
The question is what do you feel comfortable doing. I actually don't own any heated gear and I've ridden all day in near 0 temps. It's really what you feel you can/should do.

Wayne
What he said. For me, I don't like cold. I've got a heated vest, but I still don't like cold. I'll ride if I have to, but mostly I don't have to. Temps would be part of the equation but I would also consider duration, and possible precipitation.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Looks lime it it going to be a pick up, combining a little vacation with the purchase.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

800 miles to start the vacation

My feeling were a little hurt when it kept on raining, then I remembered that it is a GS not a Harley.
THis will NOT be a Starbucks machine.