Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #3436
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet View Post
Hi all, just did an oil change, filter and screen clean. My manual does not give intervals, just says service at 1,000ks, 5,000ks, 10,000ks etc. Questions - do You do the screen behind the clutch cover every 5,000ks, sooner than that or do You skip it for longer? What oil do You use and how much $ and where are You getting oil filters??. thanks in advance Beetle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
If you look at the OIC again you'll see it says 1K or 600 miles on the first change. I did mine at 250 miles. Then it shows replace oil and filter at 5K km, or 3000 mile intervals. I do mine at about 2000 with Amsoil synthetic after it had about 12-1400 miles on it. Filter from the dealer, or you can get a Hiflo, but get the right one, we've covered that in depth on cafehusky.com. They run about $5.
If you need a shop manual let us know, they are free for download...30mb PDF.
Amsoil at dealer cost if you want it. Other oils are fine as well, I just prefer the full syn they have, good price too.

EDIT: On the clutch-side screen, I checked it at a couple of thousand and it was clean so probably wait 'till about 5or 6 to check it again.
12,000 miles on mine. I have checked the screen under the clutch cover several times and have never seen even a hint of debris in there.

That said, once you have the oil drained, pulling that cover is a piece of cake. The gasket is reusable. Wouldn't hurt to check it every now & again.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #3437
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
On my 03 TE610E (same basic bottom end) the screen under the clutch cover was perfectly clean after 14k. I clean the left one under the shifter ever oil change of course.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #3438
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,175
Friday December 7, 2012

International Motorcycle Show, Long Beach, CA

Walked the show last night. Finally got to see the Terra 650. Looks like the 630 but different. Looks to have the same suspension. Probably make a lot of people a very nice dualsport.

Specs revealed an 80lb weight gain though. Holy crap, that's double what I figured it would come in at. Oh my. I feel real bad for those that will take them offroad. It's just as bloated as the Sertao. I can hardly lift that one off the kickstand.

So even with my Dirtbagz and all my gear I'm just about up to the dry weight of the new Huski. OMG.

Bar-10 Ranch, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, 2012

Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #3439
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Chris, no way the Terra is in the same league as the TE630! Don't even think about it, if you ever really did. I think it will be a nice road bike with the ability to poke it's nose down a few reasonable trails. I'll have mine in Death Valley (along with the 630) and you can try it out if you like. Just keep it off of Lippencott or the trail to the Salt Trams!

Ken
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #3440
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Same Suspension? First, it's non-adjustable. Then...

TR650: GC: 8.1" Seat: 34.4" Travel f/r 7.5/ 7.5" Rake: 26.5* Trail: 4.41" WB: 59.1"
TE630: GC: 11.8" Seat: 37.2" Travel f/r 10.6/12.6" Rake: 30.0* Trail: 4.58" WB: 58.5"

Capabilities: All the difference in the world! TR better for the street - TE better off-road.

And...It is a Husky Sertao!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #3441
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Same Suspension? First, it's non-adjustable. Then...

TR650: GC: 8.1" Seat: 34.4" Travel f/r 7.5/ 7.5" Rake: 26.5* Trail: 4.41" WB: 59.1"
TE630: GC: 11.8" Seat: 37.2" Travel f/r 10.6/12.6" Rake: 30.0* Trail: 4.58" WB: 58.5"

Capabilities: All the difference in the world! TR better for the street - TE better off-road.

And...It is a Husky Sertao!

What is 'GC'?
I did not realize there was that much difference in suspension. I just looked at the Terra forks and they looked the same.

BTW, the Terra had crappy (cheap) looking rims. I did notice that.

I'll be keeping my 630.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #3442
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Chris, no way the Terra is in the same league as the TE630! Don't even think about it, if you ever really did. I think it will be a nice road bike with the ability to poke it's nose down a few reasonable trails. I'll have mine in Death Valley (along with the 630) and you can try it out if you like. Just keep it off of Lippencott or the trail to the Salt Trams!

Ken
Speaking of the Salt Tram, you should plan to do that ride with us. I would love to do it again. Awesome scenery, you look across at the Sierra range, not up at it.

We came up the back side from the 395, down into Saline Valley. That's quite a downhill, certainly easier than trying to go up it.

Sierra range in the background here...

Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #3443
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
What is 'GC'?
I did not realize there was that much difference in suspension. I just looked at the Terra forks and they looked the same.
I'll be keeping my 630.
Sorry, I type too fast sometimes and forget my database short-hand doesn't always translate. "GC" is ground clearance. Sometimes analogus to seat height, and sometime correlates with suspension travel, but not always. Together with steering geometry and wheel-base, they give me a pretty good picture for comparing with other similar bikes - until the test ride, when it all goes out the window!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #3444
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Sorry, I type too fast sometimes and forget my database short-hand doesn't always translate. "GC" is ground clearance. Sometimes analogus to seat height, and sometime correlates with suspension travel, but not always. Together with steering geometry and wheel-base, they give me a pretty good picture for comparing with other similar bikes - until the test ride, when it all goes out the window!
Ah, well yes, if they took 3" out of the suspension then it reduced the seat and ground clearance by the same. Wow. I can't imagine, even the 630 is pretty limited, it bottoms regularly if ridden hard. I may have to have mine updated/re-done.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #3445
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,796
Has anyone attemped install of the compression adjusters, changed fork weight oil or volume and/or changed front springs in their forks?

Results?

Difficulties doing the install/labor?

Source for compression adjusters?

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3446
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Has anyone attemped install of the compression adjusters, changed fork weight oil or volume and/or changed front springs in their forks?

Results?

Difficulties doing the install/labor?

Source for compression adjusters?

Yes.

Adjuster was from Marzocchi and I purchased from my local suspension shop. I had the forks re-valved, so I can't compare with a stock setup.
I have a set of .52 springs, but haven't put them in yet.

I believe LT Racing has the adjusters in stock.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #3447
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

I had LTR work on both forks and shock; a world of difference. While he was in there I had him remove the spacer in the forks to give me back the extra inch Husky took out on the 630. Nice. The stock rear spring was way too heavy and it was lightened quite a bit. Maybe a notch too much though. It's perfect when riding without gear, but sags just a bit much when fully loaded for full on adventure rides and can bottom on big hits. It's so cushy though I think I'll leave it alone since there is plenty of pre-load that can be cranked in when needed.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #3448
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Chris, if you guys do the Salt Tram again, I definitely want to go! Sounds like a challenge, and fun! I can't wait to load up and head for Death Valley again. Glad you are taking the RV this time as it has to be a LOT better than the tent.

K
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #3449
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Chris, if you guys do the Salt Tram again, I definitely want to go! Sounds like a challenge, and fun! I can't wait to load up and head for Death Valley again. Glad you are taking the RV this time as it has to be a LOT better than the tent.

K
You got it. I'm going to try and get johngil to lead a ride again. Going to tell him to cut some of the sand going west ouf of Darwin though. It's an epic journey up there and just enough technical to make it fun.

I would like to get some suspension work done on mine for sure. Guess I'll have to look up this LTR guy.

The tent is fine. Been camping out in one all year while the coach sat. It finally needed some tires after eight years, they were getting cracked enough I didn't want to drive on them anymore. A blow out on the 19.5's can take half the fenderwell out. But yeah, it's a nice haven if the weather turns crappy. Besides, I think wifey and son are coming this year. I may have to bring the tiger too, take her on a tour, scotty's, ubehebe, etc.

Here's johngil at the salt tram cabin. The guy is a hardcore rider for sure.

Here's the dentist, the architect, and the computer wizz. In no particular order.

On the way to the tram site. And yes, there was snow up there.

The Salt Tram structure with Saline Valley below.

browneye screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 10:22 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #3450
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

KTM guys just HAVE to wear some orange, don't they! That's a great shot and I wonder if I could talk you out of a copy? Taking along your Jet Boil for coffee was a stroke of genius and I've taken to copy lately. I'm running without racks lately and just using Wolfman Enduro bags as they carry plenty for day rides. Sounds like a wise move for the climb you described. I'm bringing my new Terra along to do some road and light gravel this time so I can save my knobbies. I also want to run out to Lone Pine and try to get up Mt. Whitney as it was closed for road maintenance last year. So much to see in DV.