ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Moss OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: North coast, Spain
Oddometer: 76
Help! Heated Grip interferes with throttle action

Can anyone help or has anyone had a similar problem with the following:-
When I put my heated grips on (on my 2007 GS), after about 15 mins my throttle sticks and it won't spring back, can be quite dangerous if you miss your breaking point, especially the first time it happened.

I have two options; take it into the dealer and get hammered with a bill. Or have a look at it myself and try not to mess-up anything. But before I do, I thought that I would ask for some help from some you knowledgeable nice gentlemen.

Thanks very much in advance.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer
 
ShaftEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Oddometer: 3,238
Do you have any type of grip covers installed, i.e. Grip Puppy's or some other?. I had the same problem you did caused by grip covers I installed on my 12GS. The rubber covers I installed over the stock grips squeezed the grips and pushed out the ends a bit. Everything was fine without heated grips on, but after running them hot a while, it would soften the rubber and then the end of the throttle grip would rub the right hand bar end weight causing sticking. I had to add a thin washer to the screw that holds the bar end on, and that pushed out the bar end weight just a small amount and now no more rubbing.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JoshBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle Wa
Oddometer: 349
You need to move the entire grip assy back (to the center line of the bike).

The grips expand slightly when heated and are rubbing, let me guess, on your throttle lock?

Loosen the grip assy, and move it back on the bar 1/16 or less of an inch. That will give the grip room to expands when hot and not rub.
__________________
Josh

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Moss OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: North coast, Spain
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Do you have any type of grip covers installed, i.e. Grip Puppy's or some other?. I had the same problem you did caused by grip covers I installed on my 12GS. The rubber covers I installed over the stock grips squeezed the grips and pushed out the ends a bit. Everything was fine without heated grips on, but after running them hot a while, it would soften the rubber and then the end of the throttle grip would rub the right hand bar end weight causing sticking. I had to add a thin washer to the screw that holds the bar end on, and that pushed out the bar end weight just a small amount and now no more rubbing.
No I don't have any kind of grip covers installed, everything on the bar is standard.

JoshBMW has suggested something that I might try.

Thank you both for the response.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Moss OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: North coast, Spain
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
You need to move the entire grip assy back (to the center line of the bike).

The grips expand slightly when heated and are rubbing, let me guess, on your throttle lock?

Loosen the grip assy, and move it back on the bar 1/16 or less of an inch. That will give the grip room to expands when hot and not rub.
I'm not sure what you mean by throttle lock? Everything on the bars is standard, as per factory.
Never-the-less your suggestion sounds logical and I shall give it a go.
Many thanks.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
You need to move the entire grip assy back (to the center line of the bike).

The grips expand slightly when heated and are rubbing, let me guess, on your throttle lock?

Loosen the grip assy, and move it back on the bar 1/16 or less of an inch. That will give the grip room to expands when hot and not rub.


Throttle lock or not, same thing.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
ultane
sqeezin the bag
 
ultane's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: The dry side of the blood brain barrier
Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
You need to move the entire grip assy back (to the center line of the bike).

The grips expand slightly when heated and are rubbing, let me guess, on your throttle lock?

Loosen the grip assy, and move it back on the bar 1/16 or less of an inch. That will give the grip room to expands when hot and not rub.
Moss,

JoshBMW gave you the correct answer.




I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present,... Is he still wrong?


Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I might be wrong, just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Moss OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: North coast, Spain
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
Moss,

JoshBMW gave you the correct answer.




I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present,... Is he still wrong?


Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you all for the feed-back, much appreciated.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Pickup man
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Ontario, Toronto
Oddometer: 239
Can someone clarify what Joshbmw solution is. Riding with a friend with new to him 2006 1200 gs with heated grips on and throttle stuck. Heated grips off and it was fine.
Thanks in advance.
Pickup man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,966
The grips expand as they get hot... they get longer. That expansion causes the grip to stick as the ends rub. You need to give the grip more room. Moving the assembly that holds the grip, the brake lever, the mirror, etc., in toward the center of the bike will give the grip room to expand.

This is usually exacerbated by the addition of a throttle lock at the outer end of the grip. As Moss found out it can happen to a stock grip, too.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014