Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #4486
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licky View Post
Unless I am reading it wrong it appears that other are getting close to 300 miles on tank. I hit reserve around 200 depending on riding (75 on the interstate and I'll hit reserve around 175). Is this odd or am I reading others results wrong?
I' m in your ball park too.
The most Ive ever ever gotten is 225 to reserve most times it is in the 180-200 range.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #4487
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Im getting 275+ on my 09 model riding easy
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #4488
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingFrame View Post
Decided to take the bike out for a quick photo shoot on a foggy San Diego morning...
I just did a few mods n upgrades and wanted to get some shots before she got too dirty

an absolutely beautiful bike...but...your flag on the tank-bag is in retreat
on a vehicle or uniform the right side flag has the stars in the upper right. as if it was moving forward.
http://www.marlowwhite.com/faq/f-why...-reversed.html
please don't take offense...just thought you might want to know
again..that is the sexiest gen II i have seen.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #4489
serangelc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I' m in your ball park too.
The most Ive ever ever gotten is 225 to reserve most times it is in the 180-200 range.
Same here.

Does the fuel quality have anything to do about it?

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2
serangelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #4490
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
your flag on the tank-bag is in retreat
on a vehicle or uniform the right side flag has the stars in the upper right. as if it was moving forward.
http://www.marlowwhite.com/faq/f-why...-reversed.html
Interesting, appreciate the vehicle and uniform protocols you share, astrolump! For static display, the link info indicates the flag on the bag would be shown properly. From flag etiquette, as in wall display: "The field is my right shoulder; I always face people."

Regardless, I'm glad MissingFrame honors his country by displaying its flag; agree with you, astrolump: stunningly good-looking bike!
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #4491
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Decided to take the bike out for a quick photo shoot on a foggy San Diego morning...
I just did a few mods n upgrades and wanted to get some shots before she got too dirty

That tank pad is from Techspec? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261114941213...84.m1438.l2649)

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #4492
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Unless I am reading it wrong it appears that other are getting close to 300 miles on tank. I hit reserve around 200 depending on riding (75 on the interstate and I'll hit reserve around 175). Is this odd or am I reading others results wrong?
My last several fill-ups have been after hitting reserve at 242 to 248 miles. Before I mounted side cases I could make 300 including reserve. I don't usually use an entire tank on interstate before I get back on 2-lane.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #4493
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,379
I consistantly get 220 before reserve.

Whether I'm 12 or whether I'm 64, spend my time like there ain't gonna be no more. (MONTROSE...MAKE IT LAST)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #4494
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:

Were did you get the knee pads on the tank mine is getting polished from my knees ?

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #4495
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
Were did you get the knee pads on the tank mine is getting polished from my knees ?

tom
See post 4491
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #4496
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
My commute is mostly interstate where i'm cruising between 75-80 for 25 miles of my journey. I'll hit reserve in the 190 mile range. This with a 16t sprocket, klx needle and jet change and Lexx exhaust.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #4497
Vic Cosmic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have noticed a definite fuel difference with my side cases on, even a tall windsheild will effect the milage.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #4498
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Engine serial number - year of manufacture X-Ref table?

Hi - just bought a spare KLR650 engine today... well most of one - lower end minus side covers, clutch basket, alternator, starter, etc. Got a nice condition head in the deal too (this was the main thing I wanted)... all supposedly from a low mileage write-off. I have an extra cylinder/piston, so in theory could build up a spare engine if I sourced more parts. Am trying to determine engine year of manufacture. The engine cases are silver, it has newer countershaft sprocket (so 2000 or newer) and engine serial number is KL650AEA20411. Have tried Googling this to no avail. I seem to remember stumbling across a cross reference table somewhere (found one for VIN #s) for engines - can anyone point me to where I could determine what year this engine was made? Thnx
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #4499
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
I've never got 60mpg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I'm more close to your figures than others, but the PO of my bike modified the intake and exhaust. I get about 205 with 75MPH interstate dominate riding, and about 245-250 with backroad putzing around. I say I average about 45mpg, looks like others are getting nearly 60?
out of either of my bikes but hit 55mpg on the 1990 once and that was riding very consertivly. I don't think I've ever gotten less than 42 mpg out of either bike off road. typically 42-45. One time I was getting 38 mpg on the 09 but that was when I had it jetted really fat. didn't stay that way long, I was experimenting.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #4500
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Hi - just bought a spare KLR650 engine today... well most of one - lower end minus side covers, clutch basket, alternator, starter, etc. Got a nice condition head in the deal too (this was the main thing I wanted)... all supposedly from a low mileage write-off. I have an extra cylinder/piston, so in theory could build up a spare engine if I sourced more parts. Am trying to determine engine year of manufacture. The engine cases are silver, it has newer countershaft sprocket (so 2000 or newer) and engine serial number is KL650AEA20411. Have tried Googling this to no avail. I seem to remember stumbling across a cross reference table somewhere (found one for VIN #s) for engines - can anyone point me to where I could determine what year this engine was made? Thnx
Contact Wattman... www.watt-man.com He has a list of serial numbers by year.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote