Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetru View Post
Ok group I've become a lifeproof convert and pitched my worn otterbox iPhone 4s case. The case is much slimmer overall. I've now learned all the apple charging accessories including the BMW port/powerlet plug to apple plug are to large for the lifeproof phone case. Is anybody else trying to mount/run the iPhone while charging constantly? I purchased the Touratech cockpit cover 1 and 2 (multi plug dash) with this in mind from the onset?
That is the downside of the lifeproof, the original apple charger cord works fine obviously, and there are others.....you just have to try them at the store. I also trimmed a couple of plugs on my bench grinder that were too big.

A small price to pay for such good protection.

I use a USB connection to power it up like this:
http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php
OCCR
--------------------------------
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
regnock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Anyone use the Lifeproof bike or gropro mount? If so can you attach power when in the mount, the pictures aren't clear. I currently use the ram mount iphone case on my bike but have a lifeproof case also.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnock View Post
Anyone use the Lifeproof bike or gropro mount? If so can you attach power when in the mount, the pictures aren't clear. I currently use the ram mount iphone case on my bike but have a lifeproof case also.
I just got back from a 7 day ride, using the lifeproof case, and lifeproof mount. Rain, desert dust storms... No problem! The lifeproof handlebar mount has a locking feature that securely locks the phone into the mount. I could unlock the iPhone on the fly with my left hand and get the iPhone out for picture taking just fine. I like it.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?

ultane screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 09:55 AM
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
unboundspiral
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Never seems to rain in California! Use a standard ram mount on the AeroFlow screen crossbar. Never has gotten wet yet in rain although in a real down pour I'd put it in my pocket. There is another solution. Just use the bare mount and wrap the phone in press n seal. Will keep it dry and later the phone will still fit in your pocket
unboundspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #20
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

It it completely adjustable so it will hold your phone with or without a case (I have an Otterbox on my Samsung Infuse, a very large phone with a very large case). One side is spring loaded make it really easy to load your phone in the cradle. I hard wired a charging cable (non-data cable) to my fuse block and zip tied it to the mount. If you are going to do a lot of off-road riding you might want to add a couple of rubber bands just in case, but I've never had it pop out.
I've been using this mount, and a hardwire to a fuseblock for quite awhile it works really well. The only issue is if you don't have a case the volume changes (Iphone 3GS) while sitting at stop lights due to the idle vibration. It's also nice as you arent committed to one phone make or model. I assume most men prefer to avoid committment (). At least I do or maybe should have.....
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #21
DrunkWombat
GS and Proud

Oddometer: 2,166
I got the ram universal finger mount kit. Found it the best cos you can move the fingers away from volume buttons and others. Once happy, I got my dremel tool and ground out the top right corner so the iPhone camera can look out through the mount. Works alright as an onboard camera. Power is just from a cigarette lighter

DrunkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
This should be Great!

Just backed this project on Kickstarter!

Really nice case, and they have a bike mount in design now that should be ready for shipments.

Check out their demo video, pretty impressive!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hone?ref=email
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 861
I have some good ideas from this thread, going to set up the Ram/lifebox configuration and see how it works. Thanks for all the input.
Bobby Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
LifeProof and Ram X-grip!

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...5/Default.aspx
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
papachiax6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I am an lifeproof/ram x grip user. Ride year round in the wet state of Washington without any issues. On long rides my phone is pluged in via the lifeproof adapter without any leakage.
papachiax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #26
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
I Prefer a Bit of DIY...

I formerly used the RAM cradle to mount my iPhone 3G on my '00 1150GS. Because I needed to remove the phone from it's protective case every time I mounted it to the bike, I tended to not use the case at all. Eventually the phone received a lot of damage while not on the bike and was destroyed by water while riding.

I looked for an inexpensive solution that would allow me to mount my new phone to the bike while keeping it in a heavy duty case.

I purchased this Griffin case from Walmart on sale for approx $35:

Although not waterproof, it is water resistant and definately dust proof. It is similar to the Otterbox.

Looking at how the belt clip held the case, I got the idea to make this cradle out of aluminum plate:

Gripping the case on the sides and top, it allows charging access to the bottom of the phone. Hidden in this photo is a RAM medium length arm and ball attached to the back of the cradle. You can also see the cigarette socket I purchased from Cycle Gear and mounted in an aluminum plate between the bar clamps. A Belkin USB plug and charging cable complete the setup.

I admit again, it's not waterproof, but besides this it does everything I want. It is easy to mount/dismount. Very adjustable with the RAM components. In heavy downpours I put the phone, cord and USB in a pocket. The cigarette socket has a waterproof cover.

Cheers!

ElMartillo screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 07:04 PM
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #27
R.J.
split personality

Oddometer: 1,072
http://www.hitcase.com/hitcase-pro
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote