User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #1171
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
What's the general consensus on Line 6 Spider amps? Looks like they get pretty good reviews. I played with one in a store today, used II model. For under $100, it has a lot of sounds. Wouldn't need pedals, etc. I kinda like the versatility.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1172
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
What's the general consensus on Line 6 Spider amps? Looks like they get pretty good reviews. I played with one in a store today, used II model. For under $100, it has a lot of sounds. Wouldn't need pedals, etc. I kinda like the versatility.
I'm a bit prejudiced about the Line 6 stuff as I have a friend who works there. Having said that, I like them. They are well built and you can do a lot with them as you noted, without pedals. They are also nice for studio work as you and quickly and easily change amps without lugging a bunch of stuff around with you.

To someone who has excellent hearing and knows exactly the sound they want out of a vintage Showman/Bassman/Twin Reverb, the modeling amps fall a bit short. But for the rest of us mere mortals, they are pretty darned good.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #1173
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,767
Quote:

Consensus is that Line 6 is good at being cheap....and well cheap.

Vox and Peavey, Paul Reed Smith etc. make modeling amps, the Peavey in particular is pretty well regarded(by metal heads anyway), its called a Vyper. I have a Vox AD60VT, that has a couple niggling issues, but they are mainly simple shit due to being built to a price point. I basically use it as a pre-amp for my ancient old half-stack.

It depends though, if you play heavily distorted, a Line 6 will do you fine, its not going to have a great tone, but it will get you buy. If you want to play warmed over blues, well that is an "expensive" sound, and there is no replacement for a good amp.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #1174
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:

I like acoustics, but can't afford one that would make me happy. I don't enjoy "affordable" acoustics for the most part. Never been a fan of playing with the strings a half inch off the neck. So I'm leaning more towards an electric. I've had nice, and I've had really crappy. I want good player that is affordable! My last electric was a Jackson, that played really well. I got it cheap because a tuner was busted. I had it set up and the tuners replaced by a pro, and it was a really decent guitar for no more than I had in it. So I"m probably leaning towards something under $300! I'm looking for recommendations in the Ibanez, Charvel, Jackson, etc range. S/S/D config works, but not the most important thing to me. I love the sound and feel of a Strat, but can't justify $600 on an American that won't be as nice as a $400 Japanese guitar.
You can afford an acoustic that will make you happy. It has never been a better time to be a guitar buyer. The guitars we're buying today for $350.00 were $1.000.00 twenty years ago. You can buy a great sounding and great playing acoustic for $350.00 today....sometimes even less. Check out some of the quality, smaller manufacturers like Seagull, or, my newest favorite, Teton. Great quality at a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Charvel and Jackson have gone wonky over the past few years.
I'd have to disagree with the Charvel portion of your statement. The Charvel Desolation series are incredible for the money. Neck-through construction, active pickups (that are very mild-mannered), Sperzel machines, excellent action out of the box with no tweaks, and a great finish. All for around $500.00. Even their cheaper ones ($350.00 and set-neck rather than neck-through) look great and play amazingly well out of the box.

Quote:
My only issue with the cheaper Line 6's is that you do get a bit of digital crunch sound out of them. This is due to the fact that they use a digital pre-amp, IMHO. For the $100.00 modeling amps I would look at the VYPYR 15 from Peavey. They use an analog pre-amp, then go to the digital processing world, and then back out to an analog power amp section. That difference makes for a much warmer sound, IMHO, than the Line 6.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #1175
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
I currently have three amps, a Vox AC4, Roland Cube 30 and Line 6 Spider IV 75.....all have two things going for them....cork sniffers scoff at them, and they all do something just a little different. I bought the Line 6 not because of the power of the amp but because of all the toys it came with.

Personally if I was looking for ONE good SS amp I would suggest the Roland....I really like that little amp, the Line 6 is just too fricken big.....I like the little Vox quite a bit but the extra goodies that the roland give you are fun to play with....plus it does sound pretty darn good.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #1176
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Of the several amps I owned over the years, my favorite was my Crate Vintage Club 50. But it was big, and I'd prefer to keep things a little smaller this time around. Not ready to pull the trigger on anything yet.....still in the thinking and looking stage. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #1177
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Found what looks like a good deal on a Marshall Valvestate AVT150 model today. The only problem I can see is he doesn't have the footswitch.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #1178
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
from Gibson's facebook...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #1179
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
from Gibson's facebook...

You should follow Gibson's Custom Shop.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #1180
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Found what looks like a good deal on a Marshall Valvestate AVT150 model today. The only problem I can see is he doesn't have the footswitch.

The AVT150 is a decent amp. Only real problem is if it was pushed with pedals, the front end op-amps blow. Leaving it rather quiet on the OD channels. Footswitch should still be available from Marshall.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #1181
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Totally a n00b to guitars so stupid question time.

First off what's the word on Ibanez? They seem to get decent reviews but not really mentioned at all here.

Second, how can you know before purchase where a guitar is made and how much of a real difference does it make?

Third, what is the difference between a 22 fret and a 24 fret and does it make a difference to a beginner?

How well does "Rocksmith" work for tone deaf cretins like me?

I'm looking at this, http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3438377084.html , don't know if it's a deal or not.

Any and all help is appreciated.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #1182
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
Totally a n00b to guitars so stupid question time.

First off what's the word on Ibanez? They seem to get decent reviews but not really mentioned at all here.

Second, how can you know before purchase where a guitar is made and how much of a real difference does it make?

Third, what is the difference between a 22 fret and a 24 fret and does it make a difference to a beginner?

How well does "Rocksmith" work for tone deaf cretins like me?

I'm looking at this, http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3438377084.html , don't know if it's a deal or not.

Any and all help is appreciated.

I'll try...........

Ibanez is actually the worlds largest guitar manufacturer. They make everything from about $150.00 on up to around $5,000.00 or so. Quality is generally good, though like most everyone else, you get what you pay for and the $150.00 ones aren't as nice as the $300.00 ones which aren't as nice as the $800.00 ones which..........etc.

A fairly safe rule on place of origin: If it is under $1k, it was probably made somewhere outside the USA. Does it make a difference? Well, setting aside the "Buy American" patriot stuff, not really. The main thing is that it's a manufacturer that gives a damn about quality.

The difference between a 22 fret and a 24 fret is 2 frets. The designation has to do with how far up the scale the neck goes. Doesn't really make a difference to a beginner and, truth be told, doesn't make a difference to about 90% of guitarists, beginner or expert.

Haven't messed with Rocksmith so I'm no help there. I would say that no matter what you do, get a few private lessons to start with. That will at least get you started on the right foot and help you with basic things like how to fret properly, etc.

Financially, that Craigslist listing is an OK deal, but nothing real hot. That's about the same price you could buy a similar used rig at a music store. Most stores will take the time to check everything out and some will even offer a bit of warranty on used gear. That's something you aren't getting with the CL deal. Just something to consider.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #1183
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Thank you for all of that.

I know what pickups are but how do you tell the good ones from the crap ones?
What is the difference between normal pickups and humbuckers?

I guess it would probably be easier to say what I want it for and see what kind of consensus I get.

I'd like a decent guitar that has a lot of range. I can't (never had a guitar) play a lick but my taste in music ranges from Junior Brown to Primus to Santana to Social D. Love me some Johnny Cash too.

That is more and less than the "sound" I'm looking for.
Of course, I'll be needing an amp too...not looking to spend much more than 600.00 for both.

Oh, and I have small hands.

Thanks again.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #1184
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:

I've never had a valvestate Marshall, and only once had an AVT412 cab, but I'm sure it's a decent mid-range amp. The biggest problem with Marshalls are the footswitches, and I would know because I have the other most-complicated 5-button footswitch they make... on my TSL100. I'm on my 3rd or 4th switch. I love the amp, though.

..and something I tell everyone, if you're going to buy a combo, buy used. You'll never get your money back out of it if you buy new, and most people can't give them away when they "upgrade" to a half-stack.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #1185
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:

1) They make really decent beginner and medium-range guitars. A lot of my friends had them starting off and I had an Ibanez bass when I started. Generally they play smooth and sound good.

2) Google will tell you where the different models are made. Probably Korea, Japan, etc.

3) Exactly this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
The difference between a 22 fret and a 24 fret is 2 frets. The designation has to do with how far up the scale the neck goes. Doesn't really make a difference to a beginner and, truth be told, doesn't make a difference to about 90% of guitarists, beginner or expert.
+1

A lot of beginner metal guys obsess over frets, but it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
I know what pickups are but how do you tell the good ones from the crap ones?
What is the difference between normal pickups and humbuckers?
Ha, it's all about sound.

The Ibanez in that craigslist ad appears to have EMG-HZ's (or knock-offs) which are active (powered) pickups, generally popular among metal-heads for their high gain. Humbuckers are pretty much standard these days. Single-coils seem to be on Telecasters and the like. It all depends on what gain, feel, and sound you want.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: