User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,970
How "old" is a "new" tire?

I just received a tire that I ordered last week from one of the major online companies, and I was surprised to see a manufacture date of 4810. I have a pretty high comfort level running older tires on the street, but this was for the front on my Motard which Is my track bike and I tend to ride it a little more "spirited" on the road. I've bought tires from this company before and they have always been "fresher." Anyway, I did a chat with a service rep and he was going to get back to me, but didn't. I emailed their customer service department a couple days later and got this email in return:

"According the manufacturers including Pirelli that state their tires have a 6 year life to them. Please let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you, Service"

In all fairness, it looks like the tire was dropped shipped from one of their suppliers, and I'm sure no one checks the date code before shipping. But I doubt a factory rep for Dunlop, Bstone, Michelin or Pirelli would say that their tires have a "6 year life to them" or would they?

PMR
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
If the rubbers not hard, I'd run it.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Yes they might say that. I seem to recall the subject coming up in other forums from even more than a few years ago. Not sure if it dealt with just motorcycle tires though. Do you remember the troubles years ago with Firestone tires and SUV's crashing from not only the vehicle being overloaded and/or with under inflated tires, but also with tires that were old? Old, as in more than six years in age? (I seem to remember in one case they were 12 or more years old) Not sure if that is where the recommendation from manufacturers came from, but it's a number I've heard for as long as I can remember. Tire rubber degrades over time especially from heat and as I understand, from UV light and ozone as well, (which I know affects plastics) even if they are not being used.

They need to rotate their stock. Old to the front, new to the back.

(4810) = approx end of Nov 2010.. Better hurry and use them up. "Best if used by" date runs out in about 4 years.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
It's well within the "fresh" zone. Run it and be happy.

I would not put a tire on any of my bikes that was 6 years old. 5 years is my personal limit, and even then I would do it only if I was going to use it up in a hurry.
Think of the rubber compounds in tires as you would human skin. It loses it's emollients as it ages, the result being decreased elasticity. You have nothing to worry about with a 2-year-old tire unless it was stored outside in Death Valley. Then you might sweat it.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 08:15 PM
Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
Yes they might say that. I seem to recall the subject coming up in other forums from even more than a few years ago. Not sure if it dealt with just motorcycle tires though. Do you remember the troubles years ago with Firestone tires and SUV's crashing from not only the vehicle being overloaded and/or with under inflated tires, but also with tires that were old? Old, as in more than six years in age? (I seem to remember in one case they were 12 or more years old) Not sure if that is where the recommendation from manufacturers came from, but it's a number I've heard for as long as I can remember. Tire rubber degrades over time especially from heat and as I understand, from UV light and ozone as well, (which I know affects plastics) even if they are not being used.

They need to rotate their stock. Old to the front, new to the back.

(4810) = approx end of Nov 2010.. Better hurry and use them up. "Best if used by" date runs out in about 4 years.
Yeppers, I had 2 sets of Wilderness AT tires replaced, 1 by Ford and 1 by Firestone. I still have the 98 Explorer that the one set came on. The majority of those accidents back then involved way underinflated tires that were way past their useful life (tread wear and calendar months), too much load (in some cases), and then on a vehicle with a higher center of gravity than many drivers were used to. IMO there wasn't anything inherently wrong with the tires, but Ford and Firestone paid out for the settlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
It's well within the "fresh" zone. Run it and be happy.

I would not put a tire on any of my bikes that was 6 years old. 5 years is my personal limit, and even then I would do it only if I was going to use it up in a hurry.
Think of the rubber compounds in tires as you would human skin. It loses it's emollients as it ages, the result being decreased elasticity. You have nothing to worry about with a 2-year-old tire unless it was stored outside in Death Valley. Then you might sweat it.
I've already mounted it up. Wasn't planning on going to battle with them over it. And I've been more than happy with previous purchases from them in the past. I have several hundred tires "on the ground" counting vehicles, trailers, tractors and motos, so I get the aging tire thing. My horse trailers and equipment trailers are hard on tires even if they just set, I try to keep the sun off of them but they still start drying out here in FL. I travel from FL to NC with trailers all the time, always carry 2 spares for the truck and 2 for whichever trailer I'm tugging.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
So what's the big deal? It's not six years old and you'll wear it out long before it is.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So what's the big deal? It's not six years old and you'll wear it out long before it is.
right, no biggie
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
To start a tire thread really cooking, here ya go: Some sorta random thoughts(it just started to pour rain here!) r.e. tires & rubber: I worked in a Goodyear tire plant in a skilled trade & was in every part of that operation,esp., during my apprenticeship. The natural rubber used to compound the tire rubber compounds came from caves where it had been stored for use in WWII. It was mixed with oils ,waxes & other chemicals & some various"rubber compounds" and they became another substance in the magic of the mixer called a Banbury mill-a huge several story tall mixer. Perhaps the oils or waxes leach out from the exposures mentioned above(UV,ozone,heat,etc.) but we all know they crack as they age-or do they?
I bought a 1984 R65LS BMW bike from a guy in Detroit, with 362 miles on it in 2001. Owners dad had bought it for his mom who didn't ride it,etc.. It was stored in a basement & then a garage. The tires were the OEM Conti's and having worked briefly as a a tire inspector(got out of sync with apprenticeship class from military service)I am very adept at checking out a tire. I saw them in my sleep, so it seemed. Those Conti tires had not one crack & the rubber was as resilient as a new tire. You could pluck at the mold sprue "tits" and they were snappy like a new tire. There was nothing I could tell about them from new-period! I easily got the bike running by cleaning up the already been drained fuel system & putting in a battery. I rode that bike for 4-5,000 miles with those tires & they still had not one crack anywhere. I sold it to a collector & he made a big face as to how stupid I was to have ridden those tires at any speed.
Another time~ mid 1960's I was down around Council Grove,KS fishing & my 1962 Chev PU truck ruined a tire with a flat. I made it to an old service station & bought a "new old stock" Phillips 66 tire -still had the stickers on it-was likely a 6.70-15 back then. That tire came from an inside rack and didn't last anytime at all, as it started cracking & looked dangerous to run. Now you can jump in, as you wish.
On my small RV trailer I cover my tires from UV with canvas covers. On my trip bike they wear out before they can get "old".
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,313
I bought my '01 Kaw W650 in 2010 with 190 miles on it, and original tires. Bike had always been garaged, and tires looked perfect. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I decided to run them.

They wore out earlier this year at 6,000 miles, with no tread or sidewall cracks, checking, tread chunking, etc., 11 years after manufacture. They gripped well, and I did get the bike over some. Never gave me any reason to doubt them.

I don't necessarily recommend doing that on a general basis, but they did work in this instance.

I of course want the freshest tires when I buy them new, but I wouldn't think twice about the age of your tires unless they are first line sports tires for an ultra high performance road bike. Or if I was going to take them on a track.

Well, at least you now have a nice tool to change them with.

Speedo66 screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 02:19 PM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo66 View Post
i bought my '01 kaw w650 in 2010 with 190 miles on it, and original tires. Bike had always been garaged, and tires looked perfect. Being the cheap bastard that i am, i decided to run them.

They wore out earlier this year at 6,000 miles, with no tread or sidewall cracks, checking, tread chunking, etc., 11 years after manufacture. They gripped well, and i did get the bike over some. Never gave me any reason to doubt them.

I don't necessarily recommend doing that on a general basis, but they did work in this instance.

I of course want the freshest tires when i buy them new, but i wouldn't think twice about the age of your tires unless they are first line sports tires for an ultra high performance road bike. Or if i was going to take them on a track.

these are for my track bike, but it's "just a 'tard" lol

well, at least you now have a nice tool to change them with.

exactly!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,616
The last two tires I got (Shinko 705's) from the stupidstore were less than a year old.

I wonder how many tire stores throw out tires that are more than 6 years old?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,313
Just out of curiosity, have you used the new tire tool yet, and if so, how did it work?

As easy as in the video?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Of course they don't "throw them out", they mark em down & sell them to guys from MN.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

i just bought 5 bike tires yeaterday & the 3 Michelins made it to KY from Malaysia quickly as were made in 6-2012 & the Shinkos were also mid year. Interesting that people think of Michelins as a "premium" brand,me included, yet they are made in the same Asia,same machines,etc,diff factories, as the Shinkos,etc..
Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,616
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Of course they don't "throw them out", they mark em down & sell them to guys from MN.

I didn't get them.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote