ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #3376
stumpy-ktm
Adventurer
 
stumpy-ktm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: kapiti coast New Zealand
Oddometer: 76
starter motor bush .....or bearing

allright boys and girls , those of you in the know , i am just rebuilding the starter , ie , new bearing at the spline , new bush at the ass end , new orings , brushes , seal plate etcetc .... so i go to put the roller bearing on the shaft ... and it is tight .... like "holy shit "tight....si press that sucker on and the rollers start to split out the sides ..... well that aint gunna work !!! measure the shaft 13.5 mm .... measure bearing 12mm , ring suppliers of rebuild kit , no bearing avalible till after the xmas period ... no way am i going without the bike for that long ...he looks up the starter and says that a lot of the kits come with a bush instead of a bearing and do i want the bush ...so of cousre i say yes and when the bearing comes in i will swap it out .... now my question to you fine people is .... will the bush suffice or does the ktm 640 need the bearing , the engine oil lubes the bearing/bush area anyway.....what say you my fine friends ?
cheers blair

__________________
" lost a leg .....still riding "
2004 ktm 640 supermoto

stumpy-ktm screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 07:56 PM Reason: added pics
stumpy-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #3377
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Hi mates.
Last month I have said goodbye to my mighty 640ADV 2006, and traded her for a 990.





Although I think i'm going to be happy with the new bike, it was not easy to say so long to the bike which introduced and took me into and through the long distance DualSport riding.
Since the very first day, she was gentle, tough and proud. She showed character, and was always strongly present the dirt soul of her... and I loved it. Unfortunately, I can't afford 2 bikes in the stable and I couldn't refuse a great offer for the 640.

Many many great rides, five years and 50.000Kms later, I let her go with a smile on her face.

Other aspect of this story is how I feel about the "KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index" and "KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please..." threads.
You guys have made me feel part of this community in an awesome way since the very begining. As I have said once or twice before along these years, It's still hard to believe how great is the general help will and the kindness of you inmates as a group. It's like meet you riding here or there... that's the spirit, that's what it's all about. Some of you may think "ok, big deal..." but the way this world is evolving... what you find here is just not usual anymore.

So... thank you guys for all your rider's friendship and help, and if I'm allowed to, I will keep myself lurking around just to see what's going on with you, your bikes and your trips. Not having a 640 anymore doesn't mean I can't go to the coffeshop to meet you anyway, does it?

Cheers!

.
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #3378
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy-ktm View Post
allright boys and girls , those of you in the know , i am just rebuilding the starter , ie , new bearing at the spline , new bush at the ass end , new orings , brushes , seal plate etcetc .... so i go to put the roller bearing on the shaft ... and it is tight .... like "holy shit "tight....si press that sucker on and the rollers start to split out the sides ..... well that aint gunna work !!! measure the shaft 13.5 mm .... measure bearing 12mm , ring suppliers of rebuild kit , no bearing avalible till after the xmas period ... no way am i going without the bike for that long ...he looks up the starter and says that a lot of the kits come with a bush instead of a bearing and do i want the bush ...so of cousre i say yes and when the bearing comes in i will swap it out .... now my question to you fine people is .... will the bush suffice or does the ktm 640 need the bearing , the engine oil lubes the bearing/bush area anyway.....what say you my fine friends ?
cheers blair

I'd try it if I needed to ride. How much use will it really see?
bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #3379
stumpy-ktm
Adventurer
 
stumpy-ktm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: kapiti coast New Zealand
Oddometer: 76
hi bill , i should have been more concise .... that bearing is stuck fast and hard ,,, had to cut it off , it wasnt going to turn at all , with me , (having one leg only ) , i will use a starter 100% of the time ... so i need it working , i will be using the bush for now , as i said it will get oil splash from motor .... but i was just interested in others thoughts on bush vs bearing ...
__________________
" lost a leg .....still riding "
2004 ktm 640 supermoto
stumpy-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #3380
makazica
Studly Adventurer
 
makazica's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Oddometer: 736
I'll feel free to send the orange gang a quick salute....



Oh, and in case you all didn't know.....the DRZ is not half a bike compared to the LC4....



M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #3381
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy-ktm View Post
hi bill , i should have been more concise .... that bearing is stuck fast and hard ,,, had to cut it off , it wasnt going to turn at all , with me , (having one leg only ) , i will use a starter 100% of the time ... so i need it working , i will be using the bush for now , as i said it will get oil splash from motor .... but i was just interested in others thoughts on bush vs bearing ...
Using the bushing shouldn't be a problem, maybe give it smathering of moly grease upon assembly... You will likley see a bit shorter lifespan from the bushing but it should last as long as a set of brushes...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #3382
stumpy-ktm
Adventurer
 
stumpy-ktm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: kapiti coast New Zealand
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Using the bushing shouldn't be a problem, maybe give it smathering of moly grease upon assembly... You will likley see a bit shorter lifespan from the bushing but it should last as long as a set of brushes...

cheers mate , my thoughts are the same , the sad thing was there was nothing wrong with the original bearing , but a new one came in the kit so i punched the old one out ......if i found some bronze rod i could proberlly turn down my own bushing ....
thanks
__________________
" lost a leg .....still riding "
2004 ktm 640 supermoto
stumpy-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #3383
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 4,959
Looks like you have a little winter on the go over there
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #3384
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,988
What have I got?

Need some help.

Replacing the front wheel bearings and seals on my 2002 640 Adventure. Bearings are coarse. Seals and bushing surface are shot.

This is what I've got comparing the old parts (top) to the new parts (bottom)...



The new bearings fit perfectly on the axle, the old bearings ride on a bushing which fits on the axle. New seals and bearings won't fit the hub bore.

Any ideas on what I need to order to redo the front end? Anyone want to buy spacers, seals and bearings for a 2002 640 ADV?

Thanks...

FWIW, also ordered bearings and seals for the rear wheel, and everything looks right.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #3385
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!
 
christian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Redwood City, CA
Oddometer: 2,655
Are you the first owner of the bike?
if yes, did you do anything to the front wheel/forks?

If you bought used, do you know about any changes to the forks/ front wheel?

if my memory serves me well, the 02 adventure had a 20mm front wheel axle, and the bearing you have (old) are 26mm - so it looks like the wheel is not the stock one.

The bottom bearing and spacers are the 20mm ones. for bike 2001-2002

some bike in 2003 (sxc) still had the 20mm axle, but other (EXC/Adv) had the axle upgraded to a 26mm


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Need some help.

Replacing the front wheel bearings and seals on my 2002 640 Adventure. Bearings are coarse. Seals and bushing surface are shot.

This is what I've got comparing the old parts (top) to the new parts (bottom)...



The new bearings fit perfectly on the axle, the old bearings ride on a bushing which fits on the axle. New seals and bearings won't fit the hub bore.

Any ideas on what I need to order to redo the front end? Anyone want to buy spacers, seals and bearings for a 2002 640 ADV?

Thanks...

FWIW, also ordered bearings and seals for the rear wheel, and everything looks right.
__________________
KTM 950 ADV '05.5
KTM 690 '10
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #3386
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Are you the first owner of the bike?
if yes, did you do anything to the front wheel/forks?

If you bought used, do you know about any changes to the forks/ front wheel?

if my memory serves me well, the 02 adventure had a 20mm front wheel axle, and the bearing you have (old) are 26mm - so it looks like the wheel is not the stock one.

The bottom bearing and spacers are the 20mm ones. for bike 2001-2002

some bike in 2003 (sxc) still had the 20mm axle, but other (EXC/Adv) had the axle upgraded to a 26mm

I'm the 3rd owner. Just getting to know the bike. I'll give the previous owner a call and see what he knows.

2003(sxc) seems promising. The seal is listed as 35X47X7 which are the dimensions of the seals I pulled off the front wheel.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #3387
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!
 
christian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Redwood City, CA
Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I'm the 3rd owner. Just getting to know the bike. I'll give the previous owner a call and see what he knows.

2003(sxc) seems promising. The seal is listed as 35X47X7 which are the dimensions of the seals I pulled off the front wheel.
be careful what you order, I would measure your existing bearing and call cbrbearings.com

you have some mix/match situation here, my not be safe to order from KTM
__________________
KTM 950 ADV '05.5
KTM 690 '10
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #3388
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
be careful what you order, I would measure your existing bearing and call cbrbearings.com

you have some mix/match situation here, my not be safe to order from KTM
Yeah, I'm not going to do anything until I hear back from the previous owner.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #3389
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer
 
biensur22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Yeah, I'm not going to do anything until I hear back from the previous owner.

Why don't you do a reverse lookup. Check the part numbers on the seals/bearings you pulled from your existing wheel and cross reference them through some michrofiche (i know you can do it through munn-racing's interface accessed through KTM-talk). That might give you an idea what wheel you're dealing with and replacement parts.
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #3390
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by biensur22 View Post
Why don't you do a reverse lookup. Check the part numbers on the seals/bearings you pulled from your existing wheel and cross reference them through some michrofiche (i know you can do it through munn-racing's interface accessed through KTM-talk). That might give you an idea what wheel you're dealing with and replacement parts.
Part number for the seals and bearings match 2003 250EXC, 450/525 sx, mxc, exc. Not sure about the axle diameter for those bikes, so I can't be sure if the bushings will work.

I'll keep looking.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014