Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #1351
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthailand View Post
Hello,
I am new to this site and have had this 250L since March (in Thailand). I was wondering if anyone has located a service manual for it yet? I have had leaking fork seals since almost new and had a friend bring me some new seals back from the states. I would like to service the forks and replace the seals but am hesitant to try without a service manual. Even stock parts are almost non existent here. Mine is made in Thailand and customer support sucks. I tried Honda in Japan but they keep referring me to Honda of Thailand. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Go here: http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm

On the introduction page (link above takes you there) about 2/3rds of the way down you'll find info on service manual etc.

Thanks Rick for taking the considerable time to post lot's of great info on this bike along with the work you've done !!

Dave
Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #1352
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthailand View Post
Hello,
I am new to this site and have had this 250L since March (in Thailand). I was wondering if anyone has located a service manual for it yet? I have had leaking fork seals since almost new and had a friend bring me some new seals back from the states. I would like to service the forks and replace the seals but am hesitant to try without a service manual. Even stock parts are almost non existent here. Mine is made in Thailand and customer support sucks. I tried Honda in Japan but they keep referring me to Honda of Thailand. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
If im not mistaken its 23.2 us ounces for the left side and 22.3 for the right side
Tommyrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #1353
nbrooks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Custom Filter Installed on Bike

One more pic of the filter installed on the bike. If you click on the pic it will take you to my photobucket page where you can view the full pic and use the zoom feature if you would like. I have not found a better was to post pics off my camera onto the forum. So if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know. I did add an aditional bead of siliconearound the edges of the outside of the filter to add a bit more confidence in the filter. I had also ordered an additional stock filter prior to cutting up the one I had, just in case things went wrong, I would still have a filter to use. Overall I am happy with the way the filter turned out. I thought it was quite entertaining for someone to assume I photoshopped the filter, just did not anticipate that one. What would be in that for me? Besides I am not that good with a computer. I came up with an idea due to lack of an aftermarket filter, I tried it, and then shared my results. That's what forums are for. I may be a Noob to this site, but I have had Motorcycles and ATVs for the the past 25 yrs. I always find myself taking things appart to see how they work or to "improve" them . Sometimes it works in my favor and sometimes I end up creating a lot more work for myself. I have put 1000 miles on my CRF in the last two months, mostly riding in the desert of Utah and Arizona. I have really enjoyed the bike and the mods I have made have really opened the bike up. FYI the bulk foam from Uni was about $12 and came with enough foam to cover this filter area about four times, so plenty.
nbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #1354
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrooks View Post
One more pic of the filter installed on the bike. If you click on the pic it will take you to my photobucket page where you can view the full pic and use the zoom feature if you would like. I have not found a better was to post pics off my camera onto the forum. So if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know. I did add an aditional bead of siliconearound the edges of the outside of the filter to add a bit more confidence in the filter. I had also ordered an additional stock filter prior to cutting up the one I had, just in case things went wrong, I would still have a filter to use. Overall I am happy with the way the filter turned out. I thought it was quite entertaining for someone to assume I photoshopped the filter, just did not anticipate that one. What would be in that for me? Besides I am not that good with a computer. I came up with an idea due to lack of an aftermarket filter, I tried it, and then shared my results. That's what forums are for. I may be a Noob to this site, but I have had Motorcycles and ATVs for the the past 25 yrs. I always find myself taking things appart to see how they work or to "improve" them . Sometimes it works in my favor and sometimes I end up creating a lot more work for myself. I have put 1000 miles on my CRF in the last two months, mostly riding in the desert of Utah and Arizona. I have really enjoyed the bike and the mods I have made have really opened the bike up. FYI the bulk foam from Uni was about $12 and came with enough foam to cover this filter area about four times, so plenty.

I think it's innovative and a great Get Er' Done attitude shown here and for one appreciate your efforts to share. To me the number of someone's posts don't mean shit especially when showing real deal ADVrider spirit and contributing to the pool for all of us.
I don't think I'll be spending $100 for an air filter for this bike, even if it's made with unabtanium, but that's just me.
We'll see what else comes out, but could just as easily go with a DIY solution, especially with the low cost involved. It just needs to be serviceable while on the road.
Once it's about time to replace the OEM filter I'll know, but a cleanable foam filter that can have removable skins on it is important to me for what we will be doing with this bike. A little improvement in performance won't hurt either.

Thanks for posting.

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #1355
Goon310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I'm really diggin' this bike.
Hoping to get a new bike in 2013, and the CRF is heavily on my mind.

How many of you are riding highway/freeway frequently?
To get to a lot of places I'd like to ride I'd need to be able to ride pretty far.
I know the bike can do it, but I'd just like to hear from others.

I am really liking this bike for the simple facts that it is: Cheap, Reliable, Good on gas.
It seems like all that I need and nothing I don't.
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #1356
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon310 View Post
I'm really diggin' this bike.
Hoping to get a new bike in 2013, and the CRF is heavily on my mind.

To get to a lot of places I'd like to ride I'd need to be able to ride pretty far.

I am really liking this bike for the simple facts that it is: Cheap, Reliable, Good on gas.
It seems like all that I need and nothing I don't.
The bike can certainly do highway speeds but not MUCH more. I'm sure it would get a bit redundant riding far on the highway. I'm not a highway person anyways, I like the back 2ndary roads. I've had mine doing 115-120km/hr comfortably.

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #1357
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon310 View Post

I just hit the 600 mile mark on my CRF. 100 dirt, 500 riding to work at 55 to 60 mph. It goes 60 in comfort. I have yet to interstate it and prolly won't.

Changed the oil yesterday and reused the filter cover gasket as the dealer did not have any in stock.
Anybody else just reuse the gasket? It does not leak so I should be ok?
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #1358
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I just hit the 600 mile mark on my CRF. 100 dirt, 500 riding to work at 55 to 60 mph. It goes 60 in comfort. I have yet to interstate it and prolly won't.

Changed the oil yesterday and reused the filter cover gasket as the dealer did not have any in stock.
Anybody else just reuse the gasket? It does not leak so I should be ok?
When I got mine serviced the dealer himself used the same gasket and I started having an oil drip after a week. I guess its from where the indention on the gasket had been smashed the first time. Needless to say he replaced free of charge
Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #1359
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
When I got mine serviced the dealer himself used the same gasket and I started having an oil drip after a week. I guess its from where the indention on the gasket had been smashed the first time. Needless to say he replaced free of charge
Thanks. I will have to keep a close eye on it then.

Keep buying these bikes guys, maybe the dealers will start stocking some freaking parts!!!!!!!!
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #1360
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Thanks. I will have to keep a close eye on it then.

Keep buying these bikes guys, maybe the dealers will start stocking some freaking parts!!!!!!!!
Yeah buy the way the brake levers are backordered well into next year...i work for ronayers.com and still no luck
Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #1361
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Yeah buy the way the brake levers are backordered well into next year...i work for ronayers.com and still no luck
guess I'll have to watch it when I drop mine lol

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #1362
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I bought the RaceTech shock for my CRF250L and went on a test ride Friday. Check it out on my no-frills video:
http://youtu.be/5xKnI-WhrpI
Sorry, I don't know how to embed...

Install report:
http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#shock

Thanks for posting the nice video, Rick. I read your review; the RaceTech shock seems like money well spent.

To imbed the video in a web page, just right-click on the video and choose "Copy embed html" from the menu that appears. Then paste the contents into your post.

Spud :
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 04:28 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #1363
macinthailand
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog View Post
Warranty! dont touch it! get the dealership to fix it.
If you lived here you'd see why you would never let the dealer touch your bike. I asked them to take the rear sprocket off because I did not want to round out the allen head bolt holes. Well they rounded them out for me and that was it. They gave up. I am using mine for serious off road only so I am sure the warranty would be void anyway. I knew I was going to be on my own when I bought this anyway because of language barrier and where and how I ride it. I currently have an FMF (copy) slip on, took off a lot of plastic, 45 tooth rear and 13 tooth front. Power programmer on it's way.
macinthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #1364
macinthailand
n00b

[QUOTE=koh kood;20209577]This might help a bit. Would Honda Big Wing in BKK not assist you? I'd like to get hold of a service manual too.

Thanks. That will help quite a bit. Now all I need is the correct volume and type of fluid used. ANYONE?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #1365
macinthailand
n00b

Quote:
If im not mistaken its 23.2 us ounces for the left side and 22.3 for the right side
Sorry.... I asked again after some others posted some info. I didn't see yours before posting. Thanks for this. Where, if you recall, did you get this info from? I pulled the spring side (right) apart and drained and measured the amount. Given you info, I have lost almost half of what's supposed to be in there. That is possibile too because when I got back from one ride my boot and engine case was covered in fork oil.