Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 847 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #27721
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Returned from Buy Back?

That is really a rare occurance. The people behind those gun 'Buy Back' programs usually want any and every firearm they can collect to be destoyed. Of course the individual officers assigned to the project might not share that sentiment. Generally the programs run in a 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' atmosphere, in order to get illegal and stolen firearms turned in they don't ask information or record where anything comes from, they just take the firearm and hand out $$$. Someone had to take the time to look into this particular firearm. Nice to see that happen these days.

The programs are really a great success, unknowing widows lose out on hundreds or thousands of $$$ for their spouses collection and crooks get to 'fence' the guns that they have stolen without any worry of being caught.

It was a pretty quick glance, but at the beginning of that video the was an M-14 on the table. In shooting condition that should be worth at least a couple K. Wonder if it hit the shredder?

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 12:41 PM
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #27722
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,578
So much for anonymous gun turn ins.

I was at one in Brooklyn and a guy handed in a US marked single action Colt in excellent condition. I almost started moaning.

The turn in was at a church, but staffed by members of the NYPD firearms unit. I asked them if that gun would be destroyed, and was told it would be taken back to their HQ and kept for historical purposes, as in their firearms museum. I saw several other collectibles including M-1's, M-1 carbines, and lots of rifles with expensive scopes being turned in. A huge pile of gun cases also started growing on the floor. Would have been nice if they gave the scopes and cases back to the owners to sell separately.

I often wonder if that Colt ever made it back to their HQ.

I handed in a couple of junk .22 rifles, a starter pistol, and a broken BB rifle, and got back enough to buy my son a new Mossberg pump shotgun, and myself a Marlin Papoose.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #27723
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,578
Ya' know I'm thinking if that German gun had never been registered with BATF and gotten a stamp, it would have been illegal to possess, so how could they just give it back to her?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #27724
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Ya' know I'm thinking if that German gun had never been registered with BATF and gotten a stamp, it would have been illegal to possess, so how could they just give it back to her?

I'm not gonna say anything.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #27725
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Wound up some years ago when I first got on the job with a WWII Colt 1911 and a Fabrique National 9MM (Browning Hi-Power), which was a war souvenir with Nazi markings. Both were bring homes from WWII vets I was working with.

Good luck with yours.
I saw one with german marks for sale on line but it was at a premium, and really, something like that is more of a collector piece. I'm planning on shooting mine.

Thanks - I'm sure I'll be back to report on it as soon as I get it out to the range.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #27726
Phat
Banned

Oddometer: 55
Built this back in the 80's when Para Ordnance was selling only frames. Frame is Para Ordnance P13 and all the upper bits are Springfield Armory 1911-A1.

Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #27727
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
dont worry about a budget and id prefer a 9 already have a 22 , just looking for more of a recommendation on the manufacturer and model. I like the ppk but the .380 doesent have the put down power im wanting as i understand(correct me if im wrong , not an expert). I'm looking for something that can sit by my bed or be hidden in any little spot that will put someone down if i ever have to use it in that capacity. I have a shotgun but honestly im not going to be able to get it out,loaded and ready if i really ever need it so i want something thats easy to hide and have ready.
p938
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #27728
Phat
Banned

Oddometer: 55
Ruger P85. Bought it when it first came out (had an FFL in the day). Haven't bothered to send it in for the recall yet. And no, that's not rust.

Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #27729
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Congrats. Love the Hi-Power. It fits my hand really well. I'm in the market for a 9, and it's between the Hi-Power and the CZ series.
Get the CZ 75B. I have one. Tack driver. Will sell all my Glocks. Well, most. The CZ isn't the pistol I would choose for my CCW. Very few feed issues but in personal defense, any fail to feed, fail to eject, or fail to load is fail to shoot and fail to live. So, keeping my G23. But the CZ is my favorite.

Dooga screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 05:31 PM
Dooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #27730
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
Ruger P85. Bought it when it first came out (had an FFL in the day). Haven't bothered to send it in for the recall yet. And no, that's not rust.

Had a neighbor back in 89' (iirc) that went to show his wife how to 'uncock' it and boom.. almost shot her in the leg.. thankfully he only managed to kill his couch.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #27731
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Congrats. Love the Hi-Power. It fits my hand really well. I'm in the market for a 9, and it's between the Hi-Power and the CZ series. Still have a little more research to do though. Don't like poly pistols. Hate the way a Glock feels in my hand, Enjoy the Hi-Power!
Lyle
I own both and as much as I love the look and feel of my hi-power, in reality the cz75-duty is a better gun, mainly for the modern design, increased capacity and DO/SA and half the price. Cant really go wrong with those two choices
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #27732
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
I own both and as much as I love the look and feel of my hi-power, in reality the cz75-duty is a better gun, mainly for the modern design, increased capacity and DO/SA and half the price. Cant really go wrong with those two choices
I own both a CZ 85B and a Duty, both in 9mm. Love them both

The 85 mostly goes to the range anymore, the Duty goes with me into the sticks
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #27733
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
I may be the only one in this thread who doesn't like Browning Hi Power 9mm's. While they feel wonderful in your hand, I could never get used to how it felt when the shot actually occurred.

Perhaps some funky recoil?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #27734
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
I don't like DA/SA
First shot with a heeeeavy loooooog trigger pull?
I can deal with every shot being like that, but why?

Try a single action gun with SFS

Or carry Condition one

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #27735
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Buddy of mine had one back in the 80's.....he bought the ruger, I bought a beretta....I still have the beretta he has long sole the ruger....best part was, aside from the rattle when you shook it, was how he could flick his wrist and rack a round into the chamber.....that was a very loosy goosy gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: