Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #241
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
$4800 sounds high considering the mileage. The air cleaner is a plate inside a housing, and not a common stocked part by most dealers.
I say take it for a ride and then decide, they are a good fun machine.
And I paid $4200 out the door for mine with 4000 miles on it from a dealer so keep that in mind and don't be afraid to haggle them down.
Too late - I took the plunge.

It had 3000 miles, not 6000; it looks in showroom condition. They wouldn't haggle - they knew what they had. "Here's the price; take it or leave it."

I considered what I'd have to do to look at/appraise/decide on a BR at the other end of the country, to save a thousand bucks...and I bought. Seriously...even if I found a true cream-puff across the land, shipping it would cost me about $800. I know this because I just sold my Bimmer to a guy that far away.

Anyway...I have it. Along with the BR clone. Still feeling it out...top speed seems a little lower than I expected; it peaks out at about 65. Which is, in the end, fast enough - but I expected better since I'm getting 78 out of my Chinese Burgman clone. Might just be because it's never really been broken in.

Also...the handlebars seem an inch shorter than on the clone; and that makes a difference in riding comfort. I like to lean back on the seat; and I've adjusted the bars (on both) back to accommodate; but it works on the clone but not on the BR. Arms are fully extended and hands at the knees. Have to buy aftermarket bars.

Can you link up to your write-up about your tail-box? I'd like to try something like that.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #242
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Sounds like you found a really good deal, especially wth only 3,000 miles on it.

The trunk I use is a Rubbermaid Action Packer, fits snug between the passenger handles on the cargo rack when the passenger seat is put up. I picked the Action Packer up at Walmart, think it sold for around $30.00, but well worth it.
I also use a bungee cord cargo net, works better than just the bungee cords, plus you don't have the hooks scraping the frame up.
I also use saddlebags, the Tourmaster Slanted XL model with the nylon / canvas exterior works great, will work with passengers, and just unzip one side, feed the connecting flaps through the passenger handles, zip the other bag back on, then use the 4 nylon straps to secure the ends to the frame with the Quick Disconnects.

And on the front I use a long bungee cord doubled over the front of the top bar of the frame and it holds one of those soft sided 6 pack coolers / soft lunch boxes...

Here's a pic of the rear box on the bike with the saddlebags:

And a shot from the side:

And the saddlebags alone on the back:

And Here's a pic of the front bag:

IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #243
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

The Big Ruckus has a new home....

Yup, the new home of the Big Ruckus....still under construction.

And the new seat for the Iron....one step closer to Florida......

2013 Victory Judge
Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #244
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Not the way to start a morning......

Well I got up this morning, fired up the Iron, and when driving around the back of the house on the wet lawn, I managed to lose traction on the rear tire, do almost a 360, and fall over with a rather quick unplanned dismount.
So after getting up off the lawn, I picked the Iron up, and discovered that the boys over at HD installed a.sensor that shuts everything off in event of a tip over or fall. Downfall was you need to cycle the key and the stop switch before it will restart.

So I restarted it, rode 40 miles, and the only issue I have is the pain in my ankle, scraped the inside of it on something sticking out of the bike on the dismount, plus a slight sprain to my right ankle.

As for the Iron, not a scratch, just some grass stuck to the foot peg and handle bar end.
Glad it was soft dirt and the lawn, not pavement. Of course the tire was green, slick, and wet, couple minutes in the gravel and pavement solved that.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #245
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

The Big Ruckus rolls 11000

Yup, it happened last week......

On 146 just before Exit 2 in MA (funny how I always seem to end up rolling 000s on this stretch of road)

Anyways, had to break down and spend the $$$ on a new battery, considering the original was 6 years old and just about dead after charging for 2 days, added in a battery tender connection to keep the new battery in tip top shape this winter.

So I'm still around, still riding, and until the snow flies, will be on the road every chance I get.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #246
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I know this is an old thread but it has been very informational and full of good information and pictures. How is that BR doing this days?

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #247
arekay34
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question Yo Matt....

i've finally read to the "virtual" end of your thread. really great stuff. i'm a proud scooter man for years. i went to tOhio State University & motorcycle parking was literally next to every building. registration for the year, (and that means football parking too), is $35! verses the big bucks for 2 mile away from campus parking. i rode a vino 125 to class everyday. kinda made me remember those winter mornings where i could barely see b/c of my googles fogging up or having my eyes scanning the rode for black ice every millisecond. not the sexiest of beasts, but i had painted matte black years before that was the thing, had some special stickers and whatnot on it. i played for Ohio State & 5 years in the NFL & of all the "toys" i've ever purchased in my life, i've never loved one as much as her. but jesus are men pretty insecure seeing a 6'3 205 pound man on a scooter. you think you just walked out of your house with your d!ck in your hand. most of the verbal abuse was from drunk college kids, but oh well... some people love stereotypes. i loved that scooter. crazy talk i know. i had originally bought it for travel around the suburbs of L.A. when i lived there for a few years after my playing days. man, 4 bucks for gas, cutting through any traffic congestion, going to the front of the pack of cars at a red right.... it was heaven. so i get that fun feeling again when i read of all your travels and all the years i've been wanting to purchase a BR. i just recently sold my vino 125 and am on the prowl for an HR250. i've put it off way too long.

it definitely isn't like a few years ago searching for one. i'd pull up one or two on ebay. see one here or there on craigslist... but now the only one i've seen for sale is in southern california. i'm seriously thinking of buying it and having it shipped out here unless i find something closer, sooner. i'm ready to buy!

regardless, just wanted to say i've really enjoyed your blog/journal/journeys. i'm also kinda hoping this finds you well and enjoying the holidays. you got balls dude! some of those trips had me thinkin' "this dude's nuts". you're a true road warrior... and you don't have to ride a HD to be hardcore. just my opinion.

please do update when/if you get the opportunity. i doubt i'm the only one wondering where ol' matt is at and what he's up to these days. it's weird. after all this reading i feel like i care enough to wonder how you are.

hope to hear from you soon.
rob

p.s. ANY LEEDS ("i know a guy..." "hey, i saw one on craigslist and i'm from...") HELPING ME TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF AN BIG RUCKUS 250 WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. *****(the ones i've received so far, and you know who you are, the deal is good and will be documented for the both of you as per the previous post)*******

arekay34 screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 02:53 PM
arekay34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #248
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,683

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #249
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Wonder what ever happened to Matt? Maybe he started hanging out with those HD folks and left his BR to rust away...
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #250
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,640
His last post on ADV Rider was 10-24-12.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #251
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,640
Last log on was 4-15-13 so he is still alive.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #252
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Well, that's good to know!
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #253
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Living with Evolution and Changes in life

Well my demise hasn't happened yet, but may be sooner than later depending on the miracles of modern science. Still figuring out what Stage 3 really means in life.

As for myself, I'm at a crossroads. I'm busy working solo six days a week, with no end in sight. Been spending my limited free time riding every chance I get. And I would rather be out riding than inside on a computer. Life is short, so I'm living it as hard and fullest as I can.

The next part, after a year of running the Iron, and putting 300 miles on the Big Ruckus last year, has sent me off in a new direction.......and a tough decision.

I'm looking into purchasing a Victory Judge, in Red of course. But with this deal, I'm going to be trading the Iron and the Big Ruckus in towards the new Judge.

I need something larger, something that can two up without feeling overloaded, and still have that blacked out look.

And I am a fan of the 69 Pontiac GTO Judge

So what is in store for me in the future, I do not know. All I know is this.
The folks here on the forum are for the most part nice folks, friendly and knowledgeable. The Saga of Sportsman Matt and the Big Ruckus is a part of world history as others around the globe have seen and read the posts, and hopefully used this thread to pursue their own adventures. And it has been a fun chapter in my life. But there is change, and change can be good. The Saga may have ended for the Big Ruckus, but the Adventures of Sportsman Matt will continue on somewhere on the internet.

Thanks and ride safe
2013 Victory Judge
Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #254
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I wish you the best of luck. Hope everything works out for you.
Sure wish I could take the BR off your hands, but I don't see it happening.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #255
timmie415
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 83
As a chemist, I sure hope I read too deeply into that "stage 3" statement. Alas I fear I do not...

Safe travels Sportsman Matt, a friend whom I have never met. May the real road take you to far off places and inspire many more of our interweb adventures.

-tim
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote