ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: PEI, Canada
Oddometer: 203
How well can KTM 690 R be set up for Touring

I have been going over my options for a R1150GS replacement that would be better on logging roads and two track and have pretty much narrowed to either the KTM 690 R or a BMW F800GS after looking hard at the XR650L and DR650 with great input from this forum and the Gspot. I want better highway performance and power than the japanese 650's put out.

I know the KTM will be the better off road choice but I am wondering how well it can be set up for the highway and touring side of things as this will be 50/50 duty.

I think the KTM would be easier to make comfortable with a better screen and custom seat than it would be to make a F800GS better in the dirt. I am thinking some sort of a tall modified screen with adjustment as buffetting is always a nightmare for me at 6'3". I like the rally fairings but high price and no adjustment will probably mean buffetting.
I made my own dished seat for the R1150GS that is great . A scaled back more rally style seat of my design will likely solve the seat issues and will cheap.


I have read a ton and searched alot and have not found too much feedback on tall guy touring setups of a 690 enduro r.

Anyone have a nice setup they want to tell me about ? Pics ?
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: West Michigan
Oddometer: 177
Lots of options, here are a few pictures with the KTM tank bag, rear bag & touring shield.



zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 132
I am a KTM guy, but if you plan to run fire roads and two track instead of single track, sand, and rocks, I would probably pick the BMW. Dirt bikes aren't a whole lot of fun on dirt roads, and really aren't fun on the highway. The perfect environment for the 690 to me would be running around in the city, maybe 10 mile commutes on 2 lane highways, and mild single track or ATV type trails.

The 950 super enduros seem plenty capable on road and off as well, any reason you aren't considering one besides being a bit difficult to locate?
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.
 
dirtydeeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, AB, Can
Oddometer: 2,525
This barely applies, but at 6-5, I set up my 640 by adding 2" to the seat and at first put on 2" bar risers. I knocked off the 2" risers and installed some 5" Rox risers. Have not got a chance to try this set up yet.

On my 990, I took off the stock pegs and put on the SW Mototech pegs. That added another 15mm (iirc) for leg room. Then the 2" risers went on.

I think at 6-3, you'll want to do the bar risers and pegs at the minimum. Probably on either bike.

I just recently saw a picture of a 990 SMT windshield on an enduro style headlight. It was on a 950 SM. Look HERE. I think that would work on the 690 as well. (Edit: 205'd by the touring wind screen on the 690!)
__________________
990SMT, 640A, TXC450, TE510, ATC350X, ATC200ES, 550MXC, BW200. Need more space in garage.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
OhBoy
Got Out
 
OhBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Hookie, NH
Oddometer: 1,057
Touring on a 690...it could be done.
Your one of those guys how can flat foot the 690? Good for you!
One possible wish list might include.
50/50 tires ..check
custom seat check
panniers/loop
heated grips
wind screen check
tankbag check
added fuel capacity
heated clothing...check
gps w/tunes..check
The weight difference is significant 300# 690 600# 1150
For tricky riding I'd prefer the 690.
I found a used windscreen and cut it down. No buffeting.


Linky Not mine

__________________
KTM 1190 Adventure

OhBoy screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 07:17 PM Reason: mo info
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Kimball76
I'll take one of each.
 
Kimball76's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N. Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 24
very pleased with mine

I'm extremely please with my '12 690. I was attracted to the 690 for the same reasons you (and many) are: it straddles the on road / off road divide. I was coming from a Triumph Speed Triple so I honestly expected I'd be sacrificing just about all on road excitement - I was wrong. It turned out to be much more road worthy than I expected, easily doing in the 70s on the interstate. My typical use includes commuting to work - about 20 miles one way, and the occasional off road use. I've done some multi-day trips using a Giant Loop Great Basin and tank bag (I can dig up a pic of the bike w/ bags if you'd like) to carry several days worth of stuff. I did some 'aggressive' fire road riding and also hit the interstate on the way there and back. Yesterday I took her to some local OHV trails (about 1.5 hours one way) and tore it up on the trails with some jumps and pretty aggressive OHV riding.

The bike is tall, at 6'1" I can't flat foot - you might have more luck at 6'3". I don't use a windscreen so can't speak to excessive buffeting. (for me the wind is part of the thrill of the ride - and while 'young' at 37 I'm still fit enough to ward off any fatigue)

This 690 is a compromise though and the guys above list some great points; you're the only one that can decide where on that road vs off road spectrum you lie. It all comes down to if you want a more road worthy or off road oriented bike. If you're worried about road worthiness for the 690 like I was - don't be. For me it's the perfect compromise and I couldn't be happier.
__________________
Wannabe Adventurer Extraordinaire ... on a 2012 KTM 690 Enduro R
Kimball76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
BUMMERS
BUMMERS
 
BUMMERS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 31
Wicked 2014 690 R for touring

OK, I'm 60 & going thru my seventh midlife crisis. My doc told me not to get another bike, so I'm picking up my 2014 KTM 690 Enduro this week. He told me not to ride it for long, so setting it up as economically as possible for a cross country trip (west to east) this fall. That means lowering w/ a Kubalink 1 5/8", tallest KTM windshield, 16 tooth drive sprocket, assorted cheap soft luggage w/ pannier frame, cruise, htd. grips, power outlet (really shoulda got after market), and new seat from Seat Concepts (no question-best seats/pricing). First a one day distance run, then a 3 day camping trip up the CA coast from Sacramento, then, if I survive, repeating my trip of a lifetime in 1978 on a Suzuki GS750. Should mention, I'm on full disability due to a collapse of 2" in my spine. Now, can someone tell me why I can't get my pics to load?
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
JoeShoreline
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Eastern LI N.Y.
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMERS View Post
OK, I'm 60 & going thru my seventh midlife crisis. My doc told me not to get another bike, so I'm picking up my 2014 KTM 690 Enduro this week. He told me not to ride it for long, so setting it up as economically as possible for a cross country trip (west to east) this fall. That means lowering w/ a Kubalink 1 5/8", tallest KTM windshield, 16 tooth drive sprocket, assorted cheap soft luggage w/ pannier frame, cruise, htd. grips, power outlet (really shoulda got after market), and new seat from Seat Concepts (no question-best seats/pricing). First a one day distance run, then a 3 day camping trip up the CA coast from Sacramento, then, if I survive, repeating my trip of a lifetime in 1978 on a Suzuki GS750. Should mention, I'm on full disability due to a collapse of 2" in my spine. Now, can someone tell me why I can't get my pics to load?

Outstanding, Live while your still alive. I don't know who you are but I'm sure I would like you!!!
JoeShoreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
The 950 super enduros seem plenty capable on road and off as well, any reason you aren't considering one besides being a bit difficult to locate?
I have one, I put ~650 miles on it last weekend.
I can give you 2 reasons;
120 mile fuel range and seat like a brick.
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
tumbleweed
Adventurer
 
tumbleweed's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Oregon,high desert
Oddometer: 73
Just switched from a 1150 to a 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
I have been going over my options for a R1150GS replacement that would be better on logging roads and two track and have pretty much narrowed to either the KTM 690 R or a BMW F800GS after looking hard at the XR650L and DR650 with great input from this forum and the Gspot. I want better highway performance and power than the japanese 650's put out.

I know the KTM will be the better off road choice but I am wondering how well it can be set up for the highway and touring side of things as this will be 50/50 duty.

I think the KTM would be easier to make comfortable with a better screen and custom seat than it would be to make a F800GS better in the dirt. I am thinking some sort of a tall modified screen with adjustment as buffetting is always a nightmare for me at 6'3". I like the rally fairings but high price and no adjustment will probably mean buffetting.

I made my own dished seat for the R1150GS that is great . A scaled back more rally style seat of my design will likely solve the seat issues and will cheap.


I have read a ton and searched alot and have not found too much feedback on tall guy touring setups of a 690 enduro r.



Anyone have a nice setup they want to tell me about ? Pics ?
I just moved over to the 690r from a GSA 1150
Determined it needed some more comfort so added the following:
KTM tall wind screen (not very tall)
Heated grips (not very hot)
Rox anti vibe bar risers
Seat concepts seat
Wolfman enduro tank bag
The 690 is now probably 80% of the comfort of the 1150 but much more fun to ride.
You can check out pictures here tumblweedadv
Vey happy with my choice and not going back to super sizing any time soon.

://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940456&goto=newpost
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
BUMMERS
BUMMERS
 
BUMMERS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 31
Wicked

Just imagine, the 690 R has a third more power than the new Harley 750, w/ much lower weight. That's why I figure I can add a tooth to the front sprocket for my 160 lbs. Hoping to surpass 70 mpg. Gonna post updates and results if anyone's interested.
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Jayus
Adventurer
 
Jayus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Norte Tejas
Oddometer: 65
I've had two 950 Adventure's, one R1150GS Adventure, and now a 690 Enduro R.

The 1150 won for pavement touring (stock seat was fine from TX to VA).

The 950 Adventure was ideal for an Iron Butt ride on day 1 and then CO Jeep trails on day 2 (did 5,000 miles in 8 days).

The 690 is far superior off-road and the most fun to ride once at the destination (such as trailering the boring miles from Dallas to Big Bend, then using the 690 for exploring the area).

I would not want to tour thousands of paved miles on the 690 unless it was scenic and twisty and off the beaten path.
__________________
"Our values were better when our roads were worse." - Paul Harvey

Current Stable: 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 Husaberg TE250
DS Bikes In The Dust: KTM 950 Adventure, BMW R1150GS Adventure, KTM 950 Adventure S
Jayus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
BUMMERS
BUMMERS
 
BUMMERS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 31
​Another 690 plus-I can load it myself, even put it on a rack on an rv. Most racks are rated for 500 lbs. The idea is to get one of these, & avoid all the flat pavement as much as possible.​ I guarantee this can't be any less painful than my '78 Suzuki 750 @ 500+ lbs
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Sbushong1
Adventurer
 
Sbushong1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 47
Here is what I did to prep mine for adventure touring. Came off a vstrom 650 and considered a 800GS. Is is more agile, fun, powerful, and has similar wind protection issues. Custom seat on order. Planning a 3000 mile COBDR trip for August. This bike is light, and fun. I am not a hard rider. It a middle aged tourer who likes to get off the beaten path.

Opted for Kriega overlander 60 soft bags rather than aluminum panniers (had jesse on my other bike) to keep it light.

Sbushong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 238
Personally, I'd rather be dealing with being uncomfortable on the Freeway than having to pick up a 450lbs+ bike on a trail when I bit off more than I could chew. The 690 is an extremely capable bike in the correct hands.
__________________
2002 KTM 125sx:
Acerbis Uniko handguards, KTM Powerparts skidplate, FMF Shorty Exhuast, FMF Fatty Expansion Chamber, Renthal Sprockets, Renthal Chain, Pirelli Hard Terrain tires, SDG Seat, Acerbis and UFO plastic.
Sp4rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014