User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #1096
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Hi guys,
I have a wr250r, 4th year owned and I like it. I've been riding for about 50 years and I have a bad back (from crashes, of course) . so comfort is a big deal to me. I was thinking about the terra for longer jaunts and got a quote for $8500 OTD. They won't go any lower here in central california. Seems high to me. My question is this; would those of you who have the Terra think it would be worth the money for mostly highway work with occasional fireroads, or should I look for something used more street oriented ( I owned an 08 KLR650 and wasn't impressed so I'm looking for more HP, better brakes, suspension, etc). The only drawback of my wr250r is the 75 mph range which is sometimes need while in traffic -.

Thanks for any comments....

PS. regarding using aggressive tire on front and dual sport tire on back.. that's what I do and it works well. I highly recommend dunlop's D908F rally raid for the front.. it is designed for heavy bikes, has a knob pattern that mimics pure-off road tires I've owned, and has a carcass that is extremely heavy and stiffer than most on or off-road tires. I have to check the tire pressure after long unuse because the tire sidewalls keep the tire up even when pressure is too low. Off-road the tire works extremely well - just as well as my full off-road tires on my dirt bikes. You will have to reverse the tire periodically to keep the knobs from sawtoothing too much - but that is the case for any true knobby.

kawagumby screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 10:09 AM
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #1097
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
My question is this; would those of you who have the Terra think it would be worth the money for mostly highway work with occasional fireroads, or should I look for something used more street oriented
I've yet to put my Terra to the multi-thousand mile test, but that's what I bought it for, exactly what you are looking for too. With saddle bags and a small windscreen it should be just what the doctor ordered. KLR's have been used this way for years and have been very successful at it. The Terra, to me, is a much updated KLR type bike. With a little prep work, and judicious use of the throttle on the rough stuff, the Terra should be able to go places it was not intended for. My riding group met a bunch of Canadians on the TAT and one was on a new KLR. They rode thru the Black Dragon Wash right after us and it was very cobby after a flash flood that took place a few days earlier. The Terra "could" do all of that, but it would be much more fun on a lighter bike. With an agressive front tire you should be able to do a lot of trails, but I plan on keeping my front no more gnarly than a TKC80 or similar. Mostlly road work, but with the ability to do some nice trails and an occasional rough spot. Get a good bash plate, for sure, and hopefully someone will come out with side protection bars to keep the radiator and front plastic intact. I can't think of a better machine right now to do what you want it to do. 'Why I bought one!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #1098
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Last night, a friend and I test road another friend's KTM 690 Enduro. We had a blast on the bike and were very impressed with its power and how well it road on and off road. The steering lock is the only thing we really didn't like. Today, we test rode a TR650 thinking it would feel slow and heavy after riding the incredibly fun 690. Thankfully, we were very, very wrong! The TR was incredibly fun too. It was smooth, had plenty of power and certainly didn't feel heavy on the pavement, dirt or gravel roads we tested it on. The steering lock on the TR is MUCH better than the 690! Unfortunately, there weren't any trails to see how the TR felt on trails. But, if it is as comparable to the 690 on the trails as it is on dirt roads, it'd be really hard to justify the extra $3200 for the KTM.
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #1099
Cretin
Bing

Oddometer: 15
Fuel

Can you run a Terra on 87 octane, might be important in some countries
Cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #1100
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
Unfortunately, there weren't any trails to see how the TR felt on trails. But, if it is as comparable to the 690 on the trails as it is on dirt roads, it'd be really hard to justify the extra $3200 for the KTM.
With the Terra's suspension and extra weight, it is difficult to see these two being compared for trail use. The two bikes and their respective components is why one is more dirt focused and the other more pavement. It's just math.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #1101
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
There is another thread in Thumpers discussing the 690 vs Terra topic and probably best this discussion gets moved over there.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846442
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #1102
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Well done Mark.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #1103
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"][B]The Booster Plug is now officially available on booster plugs website

As noted on their website-----be sure and be aware your ambient temperature reading on your dash is no longer correct----it will show about 30 colder.
There is no way around this-----that is how the booster plug works-------it fools your fuel injection system into thinking it's colder out than it is------believe me---it works.
BigDog
Hhhmmm.......I use one on my F800GS and it does not affect my dash temp gauge. Interesting.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #1104
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Note: The Husqvarna TR650 series is using the same temperature sensor for the fuel injection calculations as for the temperature readout in the dashboard. (Most other brands have seperate sensors).
This means that your dashboard display will show 20C / 35F lower than actual ambient temperature when you install the BoosterPlug.
There's no way around this, and it's probably not an issue for most people, but we want you to be informed about it.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #1105
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Thanks BD, for getting this plug thingy sorted out.
If I have the issues you mention I'll put one on.
The ambient temp discrepancy doesn't bother me but I'm curious if it will make the "freezing conditions" warning light come on.
Nothing a small pc of black tape won't fix.
I'm used to bikes without all these bells and whistles anyhow and my eyes are to bad to read it.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #1106
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #1107
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Another question for owners.

Headlight output.

I read one owner report (this thread?) that said the headlight was as good as a V-Strom and I read another online ride review that said it was pathetic. Seeing as it's dark in the northern hemisphere these days how do owners rate the light output?
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #1108
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Thanks BD, for getting this plug thingy sorted out.
If I have the issues you mention I'll put one on.
The ambient temp discrepancy doesn't bother me but I'm curious if it will make the "freezing conditions" warning light come on.
Nothing a small pc of black tape won't fix.
I'm used to bikes without all these bells and whistles anyhow and my eyes are to bad to read it.
The freezing warning is a small icon in the LCD, not a light. I don't think it will be an issue.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1109
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,051
Bought my Terra yesterday...

One day observations.
Ridden Western Slope Colorado dirt roads for about two hours is all. (snow came)

It must be compared to a KLR... 690's and such are not in the same game.

The motor has huge potential... It is way over geared, and has a very heavy flywheel feel. (if you are used to racing 4 strokes like me) That is OK except for the sub 4000 rpm, partial throttle response is way lean. Just like Big Dog says. This makes it quite lazy and surges until you get it a tad higher in the revs, which I am avoiding right now.
Mine is getting the Boost plug thing as soon as I finish break in and re-evaluate.
Bike is awesome on the street. Handling is very nice. The biggest issue is the on-off throttle response is just sad enough to cause a bit of front fork dive while modulating corner entry and mid corner speeds.
Brakes, and composure under braking are very nice.

Works great on gravel, but it shows it's weight and travel as things get gnarlier... It does not bring it to a halt, you just have to keep a pace that lets you pick the smooth line, or lets the suspension keep up... Not like a big twin adventure bike, but getting there. It is narrow and much more nimble than those bikes so it is easier to thread the gnarl. I poked along on a fairly rugged section of Jeep trail. It will do it, but there are better sleds for it.
For me, the ergonomics are ideal. I am 5'11" and er uhhhh, prosperous. I like the seat, it is firm and has plenty of front to rear room to rearrange as needed. A tiny bit of forward slope that seems manageable.

I HATE the rubber footpeg inserts, I don't understand the need for a bike with a motor this smooth.

Mine will have to have:
Good skid plate, not what I have seen offered yet.
Hand guards
Heated grips
shorter gearing
maybe the boost plug thingy
some sort of wind screen solution
my wolfman soft luggage
big wide footpegs
side stand solution for springy surprise.

and lots and lots of gas, cause I have a kick ass state that needs exploring and this is definitely the right tool.
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #1110
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,051
Crap cell phone pic on maiden voyage.

wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote