ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #31
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,618
Wasn't awful, but there are plenty of great ones around. Plus, I got a ride in. There are better rides and better places to get barbecue though.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates View Post
It was great and the sides and corn bread were all great!!! I used the sweet and smokey sauce and that was good stuff!!!

So if you are in or near Clarkesville Ga I would make Hawg Wild BBQ a stop for that BBQ fix!!!
[/IMG]

Learn how to focus your pictures.....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
Yeah i suck at picture most of time!!!!
Great eats there for sure!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Jim's Smokin Q just south of Blairsville Ga in Booger Hollow area. Have had pork, smoked turkey, and ribs. All very good.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I wanna play...

I rode here this past Memorial weekend. The Whistling Pig, 1327 McIlwain Road
Lancaster, SC 29720

It was pretty dead... I started to get worried.

The handful of utility workers standing outside led me to believe that the food was decent. After sitting for a while, the steady stream of locals getting take-out seemed to be confirmation. The staff were really friendly.

My meal:

The BBQ was OK, not great. The Sauce on the table was really good though. Vinegar based, hot or mild and mustard based. The fries are where it's at here. Hand cut, not frozen. I'd stop here again, if I had to.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #36
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,320
When did Allen & Son close the dining room? It used to be on the left side of the building past the order/pick up counter up front. I used to eat there almost every Saturday during deer season when I hunted in the Pittsboro area.

<>< Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Allen & Son Barbecue
5650 US Highway 15 501 N
Pittsboro, NC 27312
919-542-2294

I've been in this area - central NC - for a couple of dozen years. Allen and Son always comes up when discussing barbecue, yet somehow, I've never been there before today. The main location is between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough, but I saw this one riding back from grabbing a tag this morning. This is the Pittsboro location (not sure if there are more than just the two or not). There is no dining room, just an outside counter to order from.

The parking area is somewhat limited during prime eating hours - I got there around 12:30 on a Saturday. Didn't think to get a picture of the menu sign as it was pretty busy. I ordered a Barbecue Tray - which is the smaller portion served. Comes with slaw and hush puppies for $7.00.

Not sure that picture does it justice, but it's a good size portion of barbecue.

There are some wooden picnic tables in the grass on one side of the building and a concrete patio on the other side with more tables. Virtually everyone other than myself seemed to be picking up food to go or orders that were called in. The 30-40 minutes I was there, I didn't notice anyone else sitting, although I took the wooded section and it was reasonably chilly - or more so than it has been.

The food:
Barbecue was great. No sauce on the table or at the window from what I saw. Good, moist and pre-sauced. Mildly spicy with a very good flavor. The slaw looked to be generic utility slaw, but was obviously made in house and seasoned/black peppered perfectly. Have to say the slaw was as good as any I've run across at a barbecue place. Hush puppies were equally great. Fresh, hot, crispy and just a hint sweet.
Price maybe a little higher than others, but very tasty.

Again, worth the trip and I'll be back.

Urban spoon review.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/11943...-Son-Pittsboro

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #37
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
When did Allen & Son close the dining room? It used to be on the left side of the building past the order/pick up counter up front. I used to eat there almost every Saturday during deer season when I hunted in the Pittsboro area.

<>< Fish
There's a separate building that shares the same parking lot. I think it was an outdoor outfitter, but don't remember. If you walked past the order/pickup counter, there's a concrete patio with a few tables on it. I walked beyond that looking for a dining room and just saw a kitchen behind the counter area. I did not walk all the way to the back of the building.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,320
Yep, that is the place. The entrance door for the dining room is/was on the left side of the building (if your back is to the highway), it is just a plain unmarked door. It is/was about 1/3 of the way back. They always had good BBQ and good desserts.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #39
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Honestly, I walked around the side and looked for an entrance to a dining room. That door had a screen door on it and it *looked* like it was part of the kitchen. I didn't walk up and peer in, just glanced from the patio. For all I know, at this point, it could have been just as you describe.

Might require another trip to investigate.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #40
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ole Time Barbecue, Raleigh, NC 121/1/2012

Ole Time Barbecue
6309 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh, NC 27606-1148
Tel: (919) 859-2544
Fax: (919) 233-6639

GPS Location:
N35.47.275 W078.44.326

Hours:
Mon-Thu 6:00am- 8:00pm
Fri 6:00am- 9:00pm
Sat 6:00am- 9:00pm
Closed Sun.
http://www.oletimebarbecue.com

Motto: A great place to get porked.

One of those places that's nearby, but I never think about going there. Maybe been there once before and I've been here close to 25 years. No idea why other than that it's kind of between here and Cary, NC (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) and I try to avoid Cary at any cost.

Another in the rectangular, single story buildings series. Plenty of parking:

Pretty standard menu, but they do serve breakfast every day they're open.

Small place inside. Two seating areas - one with a half dozen booths or so and the other with a couple booths and some counter seating:

Very friendly people working here, Several folks eating - it was around 3:30 or so when I got there. They're pretty close to NC State and they seem to play up the catering/tailgating aspect. There were FAR more folks coming in for carryout for large groups than there were eating there. I suspect a good chunk of their business is carryout/catering/tailgating.

Sat down and was brought a menu. Couple seconds later, got my drink and a basket of fresh hushpuppies. Tea was honestly on the weak side. Should have stuck with my usual water... Hushpuppies were very light tasting as if they was more white flour than corn flour. Slightly sweet. Utility puppies.

The window sill was full of their condiments/paper towels and the like:

Food came pretty quickly. Ordered the typical - regular chopped plate with fries and slaw. Honestly, I don't think I'm doing some of these places a service by ordering fries. Next one I visit, I'm branching out...

Barbecue was good, moist, slightly smoky, but by and large unseasoned. Not bad at all, but I'm starting to want to see more character, Don't get me wrong, I certainly liked it, but it's not going to make world class. Slaw was homemade and had some sort of unidentifiable (to me) seasoning. Didn't make it bad and I'll give it props for trying to be something other than generic utility slaw, but not sure I liked it. I'll try it again at another time before coming to that conclusion though. Fries - frozen, but cooked properly.
The sauce: They had Texas Pete and two of their own. I'm of the school of thought that says if it needs Texas Pete, something's wrong with it at a basic level. (Smithfields Barbecue requires lethal doses of Texas Pete). Their two homemade sauces were labeled "Barbecue" and "Hot". Didn't care for the Barbecue - way too sweet. Some folks may go for that type sauce. I'm not amongst them. The Hot, however, was fantastic. Vinegar based with loads of flavor. Lots of spice, a bit of heat and honestly, both feet firmly planted in the top five of all sauces I've had in years.

Definitely worth a trip back. Meal was $6.99 plus drink, tax and tip. It's close enough to where I work that I'll certainly put it in the lunch rotation and if it's not sub-freezing, possibly a breakfast in the near future.

Urbanspoon review:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/29162...rbecue-Raleigh

Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #41
pbharvey
Tagoholic

Oddometer: 883
Ole Time must have a good reputation because it was a mandatory stop for the state of North Carolina in the Smokechasing Tour.

...French fries?

BBQ sides are macaroni and cheese, corn bread, hush puppies, potato salad, coleslaw, collard greens, or baked beans. You should know this.

...French fries, sheesh!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #42
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think they may have been a sponsor of some sort, from what I read.

And, yeah, you're right regarding the fries. Hereby dumped from my "typical" order. I want something they do other than pour frozen stuff into a fryer. My intention was to focus on the barbecue, but I'm leaving too much good stuff out. May even branch out into gizzards and livers.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #43
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Davo's Chop House

A review of Davo's Chop House, located somewhere in Roanoke Va.
Parking lot was very small, but only a couple of cars there

Space for motorcycle parking.

There is an outdoor dining area.

There is 24 hour a day security.

Seating area was small also, but cozy.

A little close to the bathroom.

WiFi was available.

Access to the television controls.

A peep around the corner reveals a formal seating area.

The wait staff was super attentive. She never left my side the entire time I was there.
If allowed, I am sure she would have followed me to the bathroom.

There was no menu. You get what you get at this place. Today was chopped BBQ

The pork was chopped and not long off the smoker. Lots of flavor, slightly smokey, very tender and moist.
Among the very best I have ever had.

The sauce was also very good, served on the side. Best described a Kansas City style, with tomato and vinegar flavors, chopped onion, and a hint of molasses.

The mac and cheese was also fantastic, obviously baked with a variety of cheeses, and minced jalapeno peppers.

The slaw was only so so, and I strongly suspect was store bought.
Al in all, a great place to eat, and I will be dining there again for sure!
Ya'll come back now, ya hear?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #44
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Does this place take reservations?
How was the pricing?
Still a Kawi only place?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Davo's Chop House

No reservation needed. Open all night, every night
As for pricing...Damn well worth the cost
Typically Kawasaki owners eat here, but Suzuki owners, and recently Harley Davidson owners have all dined here.
We hope to add KTM owners to the guest list soon.