ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder
 
Ruffus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Erie,Ontario
Oddometer: 4,051
2006 Husky TE 510 can do it easy.
If I'm headed for really tight single track, I change sprockets & usually trailer.
But fire roads , 2 track & open single track, easy as pie. Can do tight single track with my dual sport gearing, but not as much fun.
__________________
We spend our lives chipping away at our ignorance :wisdom by Dakez

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??



Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #32
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
DR650, would be perfect, unless you just want to throw away money and work on your bike then KTM.
I can agree with that too. You could knock off 120mi (60 out and back like nothing) and then ride fire roads all day long. Just put on a bigger tank, better seat and some bike protection and go for it. Other bikes have better suspension however.

If the OP was riding more advanced dirt then i'd say something like the wr250r with a better seat.

All in all IMO the 650 class of thumper dual-sports are the ideal 50/50 for what we wants to do (bang out 60 hi-speed miles of pavement, rock dirt roads in style, bang out another 60mi back home). The larger multi adv bikes advantage are the motors are somewhat smoother but the 650 DS class will pull 80mph all day long to your riding area. The multi bikes, however, are heavier in the fun dirt when you get there. It's better to be lighter in the dirt.

Is the time & experience on the pavement or the time & experience on the dirt more important to you???
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 05:55 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #33
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider
 
ReferJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Santa Rosa,California
Oddometer: 446
Honda XR650L

MINE


__________________
CMA FAST LANE
01' XR650L - 06' NPS50 - 07' KLX 110 - 12' FLTRU - 12' RMZ 250
ReferJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #34
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Inyokern - middle of frixxen nowhere
Oddometer: 209
Agree, a DR650 can bang out 60 miles at 80mph no problem. Lots of wind blast for sure so I rarely cruised that fast. My WR250R can do this too though I rarely cruise faster than 70 due to wind blast.

The DR650 is improved so much with springs and fork brace I'd say these are absolutely necessary for proper enjoyment. And the Dynojet carb mods. Pumper carb not nece unless you are throttle happy.
__________________
2008 WR250R
2006 Ninja 250
2012 SYM Wolf Classic 150
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 2,617
I know, not exactly responsive, but should be considered. Opens up a lot of options:



http://www.versahaul.com/
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer
 
absoluteclint's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: North Carolina foothills
Oddometer: 208
What you desire out of your bike sounds pretty similar to my riding style/intentions. I did alot of research this year on bikes in the 650 range... DR, XRL, and KLR. I pretty quickly ruled out the KLR... Too much plastic, too heavy, and too road-worthy for me.

That left me the DR or the XRL. I would have been happy with either and pursued several used/for sale ads for both models. I ended up with an '02 XRL and love it! The DR seems to be more utilitarian of the two while the XRL is considered to be more dirt-friendly. One of the big differences I found is the DR's saddle height is much lower than the XRL's... Although both model's suspensions can be adjusted to suit your stature and riding style. Another thing I've been reading about is that the XRL's subframe is known to be weak... If you're planning to ride 2-up or haul a bunch of gear consider reinforcing the subframe. Both models are reliable, cheap, and have huge aftermarket support.

Again though... I have been really pleased with the XRL so far... Good luck!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HandKPhil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Oddometer: 463
Too specific?

'99 DR350, with a TKC80 on the front, and a Pirelli MT90 Scorpion A/T on the rear. Take the 55 mph secondary roads and enjoy the whole trip.
__________________
HandKPhil
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #38
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
What you desire out of your bike sounds pretty similar to my riding style/intentions. I did alot of research this year on bikes in the 650 range... DR, XRL, and KLR. I pretty quickly ruled out the KLR... Too much plastic, too heavy, and too road-worthy for me.

That left me the DR or the XRL. I would have been happy with either and pursued several used/for sale ads for both models. I ended up with an '02 XRL and love it! The DR seems to be more utilitarian of the two while the XRL is considered to be more dirt-friendly. One of the big differences I found is the DR's saddle height is much lower than the XRL's... Although both model's suspensions can be adjusted to suit your stature and riding style. Another thing I've been reading about is that the XRL's subframe is known to be weak... If you're planning to ride 2-up or haul a bunch of gear consider reinforcing the subframe. Both models are reliable, cheap, and have huge aftermarket support.

Again though... I have been really pleased with the XRL so far... Good luck!
Just curious - why not a TE610?
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #39
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,297
^ The TE610 works with its wide gearing lower weight than DR650.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #40
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer
 
absoluteclint's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: North Carolina foothills
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
Just curious - why not a TE610?
Good question... it simply came down to local support and lack of used Husqvarna's for sale in my area. There are tons of folks locally on Suzuki's, Honda's, and Kawasaki's. I haven't ran across too many folks near me that ride Husqvarna's. Of course lack of local rider's/support/dealers is not necessarily a reason to not pursue a good bike/model but when first getting into the dual sport world it helps to have a model that's common amongst local riders/mechanics. To be fair... in all of the research I've done recently, Husky's seem to maintain an exceptional reputation with dual sport riders and I feel the TE610 would be an excellent option to consider. I didn't mention it in my original post because I had originally dismissed it as an option for me due to their lack of presence in my area.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #41
Goon310
Adventurer
 
Goon310's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: California
Oddometer: 52
I'm in the same situation.
I live in the city(for now) and riding areas are about an hour away.
Would need to do about an hour of freeway riding to get to good spots.

Been considering a CRF250L, or WR250R.
I like the CRFL for its price - but not it's low power and heavy weight.
I'm looking at Husqvarnas currently, and the 310 seems like a worthy bike - but pricey.

See a lot of plated XR650R's in my area but my gut feeling is they will be heavy and uncomfortable off road.
I'm 5'9'' and 140, and while I'm sure I could do fine on a 650 - I don't want to tire myself out.

The multitude of bikes and price points is astounding, and really hard to find whats going to be "right".
Buy used, or make payments, go small(250) or go big(650)?

There is no right bike for me it seems.
Light weight, heavily off road capable, yet can still do long haul trips at freeway speeds with good manners.
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #42
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer
 
oldxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: central komifornia
Oddometer: 1,101
I own a plated Honda xr650r and really like it for dual sport/touring .Xrr's arent really that heavy but it gets heavy with a giant loop pack and 6 gallons of fuel.No problem getting around motorhomes.Down side-no e-start and it eats back tires.But I got the bike for riding highway to forest service roads + baja trips .The engine has enough torque so that you can gear it up and still run single track.It would be better with an e-start and a wide ratio 6 speed box.Think husky te630-not the new 650.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #43
TDM Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TDM Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 147
I'll throw my $0.02 in here. I've got a WR250R and a BMW XChallenge and for the distance you're talking about and riding fire roads, I'd take the XChallenge. The 650-class bikes just have so much more punch on the highway and rips on open fire road terrain.

If it were tighter, more single-track like riding, I'd favor the WR.
TDM Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #44
Goon310
Adventurer
 
Goon310's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: California
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
I own a plated Honda xr650r and really like it for dual sport/touring .Xrr's arent really that heavy but it gets heavy with a giant loop pack and 6 gallons of fuel.No problem getting around motorhomes.Down side-no e-start and it eats back tires.But I got the bike for riding highway to forest service roads + baja trips .The engine has enough torque so that you can gear it up and still run single track.It would be better with an e-start and a wide ratio 6 speed box.Think husky te630-not the new 650.
Well, claimed curb weight of an XR650R is about 305 pounds.
It's 320 for the CRF250L!!!
I think I'd feel more comfortable on a 650 on Freeway trips - especially when I want to ride up to WA or farther.
Baja proven, large aftermarket... It's a solid choice.

I've also considered a 650 from BMW but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #45
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon310 View Post
I'm in the same situation.
I live in the city(for now) and riding areas are about an hour away.
Would need to do about an hour of freeway riding to get to good spots.

Been considering a CRF250L, or WR250R.
I like the CRFL for its price - but not it's low power and heavy weight.
I'm looking at Husqvarnas currently, and the 310 seems like a worthy bike - but pricey.

See a lot of plated XR650R's in my area but my gut feeling is they will be heavy and uncomfortable off road.
I'm 5'9'' and 140, and while I'm sure I could do fine on a 650 - I don't want to tire myself out.

The multitude of bikes and price points is astounding, and really hard to find whats going to be "right".
Buy used, or make payments, go small(250) or go big(650)?

There is no right bike for me it seems.
Light weight, heavily off road capable, yet can still do long haul trips at freeway speeds with good manners.
Unfortunately, dual sports are not "both a dirt bike and a street bike" in the sense that they can be great at both sides at the same time. They are "half a dirt bike and half a street bike", or a trade off towards one side or the other. Even if you could get everything else right, tires are always going to be a compromise.

I don't think that the lower tech 250's are a good choice for what you want to do. For riding back roads or racking up miles at a slower pace, then riding some dirt trails at a casual pace they are an excellent choice, but they dont have the power for the interstate or the light weight and proper suspension to hammer through the whoops like a MX bike.

IMO the best true dirt bike that won't make you miserable on the street are the KTM 450 or 530 EXCs, fitted with something like Michelin T63 tires. Off road you can't do much better, and it has the power and gearing to keep up at higher speeds and be smooth.

However, riding true dirt bikes on the interstate or freeway for more than a couple miles has always sucked for me. Wind blast, head shake, vibration, and noise take a toll on you at high speeds. Two lane highways up to 60 mph or so is no problem, but I was fatigued enough from getting to the trails that I couldn't ride to my potential, and then always ended up really dreading the ride home when everyone else was throwing them in the truck beds or trailers and relaxing.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014