Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Cool, look forward to seeing you there...

Picked up a new to me DRZ400 yesterday, upgrading from my KLX250S....now to get everything prepped for next month

Probably swapping out the factory tank for the IMS tank I have, but certainly getting some new 606's
If you put on the Ims tank don't fill it up all the way. The drz is heavy enough already.

The 606s are not what I'd run for sure at this event get some s12xc's or Dunlop mx51's depending on moisture.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Wanted to add...

Take the tail light and headlight off before the race too. Not going to get broken and the bike feels so much lighter with the lights off of it that it's hard to believe.

If you can swing a full exhaust that's allot of weight savings too and is really noticeable.

The weight biggest downside of the DRZ it's just really slow side to side in the turns because it just as so much weight on it.

The other problem I had with the drz was the CV carb loosing power in acceleration bumps, whoops, hard square edges and landing off jumps, an FCR will fix that. Also make sure you disable the side stand switch or it will cut out all the time.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Each lap is a victory and RELAX!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Each lap is a victory and RELAX!
Tbone...been following your thread...looks like you and your daughter are having a great time...been taking plenty of notes

Hope our weekend works out the same....
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Quote:
Tbone...been following your thread...looks like you and your daughter are having a great time...been taking plenty of notes

With a 15 yo daughter it can be a roller coaster at times. Never take it so serious you can't laugh at yourself and have fun!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #21
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Got in a bit of riding today....trails were wet and slick....great practice for balance...yeah, right

Glad the new rear tire is due Tuesday....because I'm headed out again Wednesday

Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 119
Where are you riding?

I've ridden once at Wicomico Park, too expensive to do very often, and I on the hunt for more trails to ride in VA/MD. Only did about a mile on the hare scramble trail at the park -- had my son on his first trail ride, bad idea for a nooby.
Cheers,
Gordo
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoS View Post
I've ridden once at Wicomico Park, too expensive to do very often, and I on the hunt for more trails to ride in VA/MD. Only did about a mile on the hare scramble trail at the park -- had my son on his first trail ride, bad idea for a nooby.
Cheers,
Gordo
A private area in King George Virginia called Eagle Bay. A yearly membership is $250 for a family. Much better then Wicomico. There is a beginer loop in a grass field. A 2 mile novice loop and a 12 mile expert loop. All are single track, no atvs. Shoot me a pm and I'll send you the contact info if you would like more info.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
Baja Perro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Good luck!

On Dec 1, I raced the Los Ancianos Hare Scramble in the Sportsman(C) 40+ class and had a blast!
This was the first true off road race I've done and i'm hooked. I've raced a lot of motocross and GP's,
but this was the most fun ever.
I know you're worried about being that guy, just worry about being safe. I was very impressed with the
maturity level of my competitors, not pinning into dust you can't see through, pulling over on singletrack,
etc.Compared to motocross, it's a gentleman's race. The fact that the race is two hours makes it hard to
be overly aggressive.
Baja Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #25
Whooptydid
Halfast

Oddometer: 5
Quote:

Like the tribe has mentioned, just enjoy the ride and let the results come as they may! TBone is an excellent mentor to follow as the guy probably has more saddle time than Malcom Smith! Happy Trails brother!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,232
I just rode Wicomico on Friday. Was wet, but there was plenty of traction. The MX tracks were a wet mess. If it keeps on raining it will be a mess on the day of the race. But everyone is on the same track so fair is fair.

As for racing, if there is a bottleneck don't sit and wait, go around immediately. You can make up 15-20 positions just not waiting at mudholes or steep climbs.

Enjoy yourself, have fun !

Post pics.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 371
Never rode a harescramble but some limited mx in c class and a couple attempts with enduros in NJ.......they were sand whooped brutal!
Would a kdx 220 in stock form be suitable for this event. I'm in the old guy category as well and just want to try one.
Thanks for any info.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
Never rode a harescramble but some limited mx in c class and a couple attempts with enduros in NJ.......they were sand whooped brutal!
Would a kdx 220 in stock form be suitable for this event. I'm in the old guy category as well and just want to try one.
Thanks for any info.
My daughters have previously ridden the Wicomico trails with a TTR 50 and KLX 110....not sure about the race route, but I wouldn't expect it to be a problem...but I would have some good off road tread.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Rode there today. It's _muddy_. A KDX220 would be perfectly fine.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #30
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Just got my first Dirtbike in Jan of '12. Well, used to have a XR80 I rode in a field when I was 13 or so. Started trail riding on it and have since done 2 Hare Scrambles. One of the things I've noticed is how helpful/nice everyone is. I'm still really slow so run/ran the slowest class and got lapped at my first one by everyone. 2 Mechanicals didn't help with that but I finished a lap and got last place so I was happy.

You'll waste more energy and time picking the bike back up trying to go fast than you will by slowing down a bit and maintaining a pace you're comfortable with. Also you're there to have fun, the guy behind you banging off the rev limiter and whooping at ya is prob there to win, let him by. I've pulled over and just taken a break to let the whole A and B group pass me as I knew I'd just be getting in the way. Also had multiple guys make sure I was ok while they passed.

Also agree with the take a break advice if you need to. You'll see others doing the same. Some stop to pee, some stop just for a breather and a drink of water, you won't be the only one.

My experience thus far is it's good times, good people, and good fun. Slowly but surely upping my stamina for riding further/longer and plan to actual train for this years season and maybe not get a last place at some point.

Cheers!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote