User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thumb Back on the road.

Finally back on the road. I spent an extra 2 weeks in L.A. catching up with an old friend, had a wonderful time.
Here's the new set-up, version 3:

I know, I know, still too much stuff. I'll continue to ditch things as I find that I don't use them.
Bike handles great now - no wobble, nimble, easy. The backpack on top of everything is holding
my rain gear and maps for easy access.

I have a riding companion, his name is Webster. i've never actually seen him,
but every morning when I break camp/leave, i break down his web,
and the next morning the same web is back in the same position. i'm considering writing
a childrens book about his adventures while i'm on the road.

I left L.A. at 9:30 yesterday morning, and did a straight shot to Phoenix.
Beautiful, uneventful ride. I love watching the landscape and plant life change from region to region.
I saw one lone cow in the middle of the desert, 20 miles in any direction from *anything*,
to which my reaction was "Holy sh!t, a cow!". Wish i had stopped for a picture.

This next segment i call "pictures of various rest stops". Enjoy.:

I love those wind generators. I forget just how large they are until i see them.
It also appears that the time stamp on my camera is incorrect.

Yet another rest stop. I spend a lot of time at these things. I also meet a lot of interesting "road folk" at them.

Arizona rest stop sunset.

Be cautious of children playing on teeter-totters in the middle of the street!

Along my way through the desert i came across a motorcyclist at a truck stop,
holding a sign saying "out of gas and stranded". I gave him $20, because that's a crappy position to be in.
as i rode away, however, i realized that his bike had more stuff strapped to it than mine,
and yet he also had a large dog with him, and no possible way to transport the dog with the bike.
Something there doesn't quite add up. Oh well, hopefully he'll enjoy whatever he gets with the money regardless.

While riding the I-10 through Arizona, the speed limit in multiple places was 75mph.
Yeah right. I can hit that on a good day, going downhill. Nothing like being passed by semi after semi.
No matter though, I'm in no rush.

I rolled into Phoenix a little after dark.

Got a late start today, headed out for Nogales, AZ, around 1:30pm.
The ride was much quicker than expected.
Tucson police are rather rude, or at least the one i ran into was. I tried to say hello,
and engage him in conversation, but he just glared at me and went into the gas station to purchase a soda.
Perhaps they're not all like that, but he should remember that he's representing the entire department,
especially to tourists and people just passing through.
I found myself getting more and more excited the closer i got to mexico,
and i knew i must be close when i started seeing border patrol agents.

I arrived in Nogales about 20 minutes before dark. Tomorrow morning i cross the border.
Adventure and excitement await! *grin*

I apologize again for the horrible formatting.
LemonyLeprosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
GeoDude
Oblio had a point

Oddometer: 58
Good on ya mate!

Hey Lemony, it's great to see you back on the road again. I was beginning to wonder if your plans had changed.

Enjoy the adventure and slay a few windmills for the rest of us.
And they roam the world at will...."

Spell of the Yukon by Robert Service
GeoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Eek trouble.

Major setback. i'm still in Nogales. literally right as i got to the border,
my engine started smoking and the bike dumped all its oil. right in front of the border patrol booth.
they let me walk it back to the US, where two very helpful mexicans used their lunch break to help me
tear down and diagnose the problem - blown gasket. we ghetto rigged it with silicone,
hoping that it would hold for the 66 miles it is to the nearest motorcycle repair shop, in sierra vista, AZ.
nope. it's still leaking. so now i'm holed back up at motel 6, trying to figure out a plan.
i managed to convert my pesos back into dollars at a rather steep loss. a tow will cost me $250.
the question is, do i tow it, or try to ride it and risk causing a ridiculous amount of damage?
anyone know if theres a risk of fire from oil constantly leaking onto a hot exhaust manifold?
i was taking it all in stride earlier, but i have to admit, i'm a little discouraged now. but only just a little.
so now i'm here, laughing at myself and drinking a beer that i bought for 33 cents at the
gas station i was stuck at all day.

Juan, and the other guy who didnt speak any english. they did their best to help - they dont know that it didnt work.

33 cent beer. tastes like piss.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
BamaTexRider
MOTO-MIKE

Oddometer: 42
Set Back

Better it happened in us then mex. Good luck, Were pulling for u.
BamaTexRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
mmmpies
101 in a 55

Oddometer: 407
What gasket blew? If its just your valve cover gasket I can get one FedEx overnight to you, maybe even by tomorrow.
'05 BMW R1200GS
'04 BMW R1150RT
'01 Ducati M900Sie
'89 Honda NT650GT
mmmpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #21
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Photobucket

it's the gaskets behind this cover- behind the cover is a metal plate,
and apparently its the one behind that plate that was leaking,
but now the one in front is jacked too as it kinda fell apart when it was being taken off-
we assumed it was just that one so we put some high temp silicone gasket maker on it,
but i think its coming from the one behind it.

My uncle is attempting to get a trailer to get me back to his place 200 miles northwest (phoenix area) so i can tear it apart there, just not sure if i should try to find replacement gaskets, or use this gasket maker called "the right stuff" that some friends are telling me to use.

and yes, much better that it happened in the US, even though i'm still pretty far from anything helpful. keeping my chin up, this ride will continue.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,111
Full on ADV ride !

Your load looks much better than when you started. Some other things you can do is move some of your load into saddle bags. You don't have to get hard bags , though the security is nice , just some soft bags to move some more of the load down.You can probably score some cheap on C.L.
Another thing I like is a tankbag . It's really convienient to have a bottle of water and your camera in easy accsess.
As far as your leak goes , I'd try to find the gasket and use the tiniest amount of silicon to stick it on with. I do wonder why it blew out. Was the oil overfilled ?

Have a great ride and keep the report going.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

nope. i check the oil daily, it was perfect. an ounce or two low, at most. dunno why it blew. age? its a 12 year old bike. heat? i've been running hard every day in the desert.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
mmmpies
101 in a 55

That's your crankcase cover, and the plate behind it you mentioned is just a spacer. Each has a specific gasket, shouldn't run you more than $20 for both and it's a fix you can do on your own. I wouldn't try to make a gasket, or you'll end up having problems again later.

Not sure what year your Rebel is, but there's plenty of sites where you can look up the engine schematic, find the part number, and get gaskets shipped to you pretty quick. For example, here's the left crank cover blowup from the '93 CB250 I had many moons ago: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...rankcase-cover

Good luck.
'05 BMW R1200GS
'04 BMW R1150RT
'01 Ducati M900Sie
'89 Honda NT650GT
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
mmmpies
101 in a 55

Just did some reading up, and an oil dump out the left side of that engine is pretty common, caused by a failed crankshaft seal. The good news is that it's pretty easily fixed and the replacement parts aren't expensive. The bad news is that you'll need a flywheel puller to get at the seal, which will run you a few hundred bucks.

Probably won't be the last time you'll need one, so if you can invest in one I'd do it. If not, find yourself a good motorcycle mechanic and they should be able to get you fixed up in a day or so.
'05 BMW R1200GS
'04 BMW R1150RT
'01 Ducati M900Sie
'89 Honda NT650GT
Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Breaking The Seal

Whatever you do, do the job right (or get it done right preferably) because failure will haunt you if you have any doubts about the repair. There's nothing quite like riding a bodge job and wondering when it will break again to ruin your pleasure.On the other hand...
...Don't be so sure breaking down in the US is better than Mexico. Mexicans are great at getting the impossible done and for much less money. Plus it generally turns into a memorable adventure to break down in a foreign country. Speaking a sone who blew a seal in Nigeria when I was your age. The fix wasn't easy or permanent but the memories are excellent.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

I'm back in the phoenix area, bike is in the shop, will be ready by tomorrow evening. Then its back to Nogales early Sunday morning, and into Mexico.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
I am surprised the reliable jap bike had such a failure. I hope you can get a really well done repair on the gasket /seal.

Theres lotsa great Ride Reports going down into Mexico, I hope you can go have a great adventure. You probably don't have a large budget, and you don't have a fancy high end ADV bike, but what you DO have is freedom. After a while you will relax into your journey and find a nice pace for travel.Big thumbs up for turning south, its the place to go(winter). Keep the pictures coming......
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Laugh The End, for now.

So, it turned out that it was oil seal in the crankcase that failed. Replaced the seal, replaced the gaskets. However, after everything was said and done, the cost of the breakdown and the related costs of fallout from it ate into this months budget too much for me to continue. And after taking an honest look at how much i'd been spending per day travelling the US, i realized that my monthly budget was *far* from adequate. So, once the bike was fixed i just shot up to vegas for a few days, and then returned to L.A., where i'm now going to return to school, find employment, and save up for proper trip, and potentially a cheap dual sport so i can check out baja or just make my own path. It's far from the year long trip I had planned, but still, i had the time of my life. I loved every minute of it, even during the crashes, the breakdown, and freezing my @ss off riding through gusty desert mountains. I have definitely found a new love, a new "hobby". I can't wait for my next adventure.

-Micah
i have yet to figure out how many miles i managed to cover, i've gotta check the picture of my starting mileage. i was shooting for 13,000. i think i covered somewhere between 1200 and 1500. next time, far more.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #30
mmmpies
101 in a 55

No shame in that. The first time I took on the Dalton Highway I was set on making Prudhoe Bay, but I got sideways pretty badly about five times in the 30 miles past Coldfoot because the road was getting redone and was in really, really bad shape. I finally stopped, picked up a rock about the size of my fist, wrote "Know your limits" on it with a Sharpie, and turned south. Disappointed, but nonetheless memorable.

Good luck on your next trip.
'05 BMW R1200GS
'04 BMW R1150RT
'01 Ducati M900Sie
'89 Honda NT650GT